Question about benefits of clip-in pedals at newbie stage

Options
Ivyzmama
Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
I just bought my first fancy "road bike" last week. It came with what I think are "Look" pedals? (I'm new to all this bike technology). I switched back to regular el cheapo flat pedals so that I could get used to the bike first (cause I never had a bike before with a cross bar, and I'm kind of a clutz and have heard all about people crashing because they couldn't get their feet out of the clips fast enough.) Also, my reflexes are pretty slow; in any startling situation, I have a "deer in the headlights" stage, so . . . just keep that in mind. (At least I have some self-awareness of my short-comings.) So, now I think I'm used to bike enough to maybe, perhaps, consider getting clip-in pedals. My questions are:

1. how much faster will I go with clips? I am not particularly muscular; my average ride speed is 9 - 11 MPH. I'm working up to getting faster as I drop the 60 lbs I need to lose, but I'm not there yet. Perhaps I should wait to get clips until I'm in better shape?

2. If I do get clips, what kind seems to be easiest for clutzes like me to use? I'd rather become unclipped by accident than NOT unclipped in an accident. I understand some come with "degrees" of looseness, like 10 degrees - I guess I would try to choose those. Any advantages of 1 brand over another?

3. Any women cyclists out there - I could use your thoughts especially about what shoes might be most comfortable for a women, and what clips work best with women's knees, because I already have some frontal damage to my knees from being knocked down flat and hard while jogging 15 years ago.

Thanks!

Replies

• mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hmm...not really sure what to tell you. There's definitely a learning curve with clip-in pedals. I had mine set pretty loose when I first got them so I could clip out easier, but I will admit I still has a few "clipless moments" and did not get my shoe out in time and fell over.

I have Pearl Izumi SPD MTB shoes.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You'll know it is time to put the clipless back on when you are noticing your feet coming off of the pedals due to a high cadence.

I went pretty quickly to cages when the engine was capable of about 14mph-17mph average moving speeds and I am clipless on both road bikes now that the engine is capable of 17-20+mph average moving speeds.

IMO Clipless are most beneficial when you have a high cadence (avg 85+), when you want to climb really long, really steep, or really long and steep hills with a lot of out of the saddle effort, and when you want to really sprint and not worry about your feet slipping off of the pedals.

I noticed my feet slipping off of the pedals the most when I would shift while still using platforms because of the sudden change in cadence.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have the little toe cages now, and have had them for the past 10 years. I too am scared to go for the other ones.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I bought some dual pedals and proper cycling shoes a couple of weeks ago. I've been cycling properly just over a year now and am improving and was getting fed up of my shoes slipping off the pedals when I'm going fast or when it's wet.

I bought Specialized Tahoe women's shoes (more like MTB shoes but a firm sole). and I bought Shimano dual platform pedals, one side normal, one side for the Shimano clipless cleats - so I can choose whether to clip in depending on the journey. The shoes have a bit you can cut out and put the metal cleats in. I am going to set them pretty loose at first and just ride around the block a few times to get used to them.

I'm more scared of the toe cages as I think it's harder to pull back than to flick your heel out - that was my reckoning anyway, but everyone is different I guess :)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Buy the clipless pedals and shoes. This way you start out with the correct stroke w/o deadspots from the beginning and you don't have to relearn down the road.
  • phil85207
    phil85207 Posts: 20
    Options
    There are many ideas on the correct way to go on this subject. Cycling is a progressive sport for most people though and I think for most folks its best to get used to the bike, shifting properly, breaking properly, being aware of your surroundings constantly, making sure you are hydrated, and the list goes on and on. Once you have these things somewhat mastered, moving into clip less pedals would follow. The main advantage with clip less pedals is you can pedal in both the down stroke, and by lifting on the up stroke apply power in the full circle. This take a lot of practice and is not usually associated with increase speed as much as efficiently transferring power to the bike.
    I my self have found that Speedplay Pedals to be the easiest to get used to as they are a stomp and go type and more try-athleats use them by far than another type. Good luck and stay safe. Phil
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it could be compared to learning to drive a car with an automatic, first...get comfortable operating the car on roads and with other traffic, then learning to drive stick. The first time I attempted to learn manual transmission was on a beast of a Jeep Cherokee without power steering or power brakes. I never got very good at it and when I bought my first car midway through college it was an automatic.

After 2 or 3 years with that car we ordered a new car and went with stick, since the transmission would be one less thing to break. By that time I was comfortable driving and learning to also shift was no big deal.

That said, I started with clipless pedals right away with my first road bike, since I had used them a tiny bit years earlier on a POS mtn. bike and didn't like the little toe cages at all. I really found them pretty easy to use and they make for much greater foot comfort and control.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    another vote for 'go for it' :)

(but get some double sided pedals like SPDs or speed play, the Look / Time single sided pedals are a pain. Anyone tells you that double sided are only for mountain bikes, punch them hard in the face ( <- that's a joke!!)
  • Stinkeymonkey
    Stinkeymonkey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have Look pedals and they are sometimes a pain to get into when the light turns green. I may try Speedplays for my next bike.

I rode for a couple of months with cages before getting clipless. I did have a learning curve and have fallen a couple of times. No biggie, just get back on and ride! :)