Lap Banders Unite

Options
Hello out there. Are there any Lap Banders out there who would like to join a special lap bander group? I know there are some of you on here. I think we can offer each other support, advice, recipes, encouragement, etc.

I'll start things off with introducing myself. I'm 56yrs old. I have been looking into bariatric surgery for the past two yrs. and have decided on the Lap Band. My struggle with weight has been a long one. I've lost weight numerous times in my life but it has always come back. The last 5yrs have been the worst. I had all but given up on ever being at a healthy weight again. And then I gave my head a shake and said, Wake up. You still have a lot of living to do. That's when I booked a consultation and started the ball rolling. The ball rolled fairly quickly, as I am a self pay and did not have to go through the long weight that I've heard a lot of insurance companies put patients through.
I'm being banded on July 27th. I'm currently doing my two week pro op protein diet. It's not bad and I've already lost weight. Yah me!
This is just the beginning and I know it's going to be quite a ride. Care to come along? Join the Group!

Replies

• fbridges
    fbridges Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I had lap-band surgery just a little over a year ago. Don't let my tracker fool you, I have lost 54 lbs. The 3 lbs reflects a current goal I have set for myself.

I am joining your group because I know how important it is to have support. My sister had the surgery the year before me, so she was a wealth of information. A book I found very helpful was "Before and After - Living & Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery" by Susan Maria Leach. It is a diary of her experience, plus some very good recipes. Some good recipes to keep you from getting bored with the same ole same ole protein shakes.

Best advice I can give you for your day of surgery and the days following. Take a pillow with you. When lying down and you try to get up, hold the pillow to your stomach. Makes a HUGE difference.

Welcome to a new lifestyle and a healthier you!
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hello Bandsters!!! I had a vertical-banded gastroplasty almost 10years ago come the end of October.....decided on the band becuz it was the closest thing that allowed you to still digest your food more normally without bypassing too many routes that the body normally traveled. Its been a great tool for me...but what i realized its not a miracle fix...as some folks think. Its just what it is...a tool to help with weight-loss...but u still got to be connected to the process too....

I did well the first 2 years....losing over 140 lbs...as my top weight was 370lbs....once i got back down in the 250's i got comfortable as that was where ispent most of my 20's and 30's...so i slowly allowed myself to just linger in that area for several years....Then last year, i said i wanted to move on..and joined MFP...and started to get the courage to go after my goals ( 199 then 165 )...so its been a battle....and my doctor said to me on surgery day...i am going to give u another chance at a healthier life, its up to me what i do with it.....he said 10% fail to meet their goals.....well i want to meet my goal to prove to him i wasnt a failure...just took me a little longer than it should but i never gave up!! He fixed me physically but i needed to fix me mentally...

It was an adjustment at first...but now its second nature....i had my lap-band when the process was fairly new...its been perfected and made so much simplier....its something i would do again and again if i had to....i'll be rooting for you!!!
  • Akendig
    Akendig Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a lap band, placed in 8/2010.
  • ddrobins1956
    Options
    Welcome, steelers fan and fbridges. It is so inspiring to hear that you both have done so well. I think my eyes are wide open as to what I expect from my surgery. I'll be using it as a tool to help me meet my goals. I've set a size goal. I would like to be back into a size 14 pants. It's been about 8yrs since I was that size. I had lost weigh with Weight Watcher's and slowly let it slip back. I watched the scale go up and up and up, and didn't do anything to stop it. I have beat myself up for it and hated myself, but no more. I'm going into this with a positive attitude realizing that I may stumble but I won't let myself fall into unhealthy habits again. I have two bad knees and I very much want to get back to being active. My husband is retired now and I really want to be able to golf with him now and then.
    Thanks or the good advice about taking a pillow for after surgery. I'll be sure and do that.
    Seems like we all have some goals to meet. Let's begin.
  • ddrobins1956
    Options
    What was you experience like with your lap band , Akendig?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had band surgery on May 29, 2012 -- 7 weeks ago today. So far so good, no major complaints. I've had one adjustment which worked great. I've been reading a lot on obesityhelp.com -- so much info, both good and bad!

I would post more, but it's almost midnight and I really should get to bed.

More soon!
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Been banned sice 2005 hight weight 350 lowest weight 170...current weight 207
  • dgjewels49
    dgjewels49 Posts: 43
    Options
    . Hi, everyone I had my lapband July 13, 2010. I am two years out and still working towards goal. i started presurgery at 288, surgery 264 and cw 217. I have had a lot of medical issues starting out and take a ton of medications. I think that has slowed my weight lose down. I am thankful in this 2 year journey I have not had a weight gain. That's defiently a positive.
    I am trying very hard to make it to onederland by my birthday August 20th. That is 17 pounds to lose, but I am very determined!
    I have been fighting some major acid reflux lately. I am trying to baby it and OTC medicate. I do not want to have fluid removed right now.But I am paying attention and if it gets any worse I will do the responible thing.
    Glad to meet everyone! Good luck on the journey!
  • campbell59
    Options
    I hab a band put in 10/21/09, I have had nothing but trouble with it, after 2 years they realized I had a defective port and I had to pay to put a replacement in which I did 11/21/11, yesterday after vomiting for months and being afraid of eating because I knew it would get stuck I had all the fluid removed from my port so I could eat something besides crackers and coke. Also, I found out after having the band put in I lost my insurance due to a job lost and when I tried to pick up insurance on a single policy I was black balled for 3-5 years because of the lap band, so be very sure this is what you want. I lost 60lbs after3 years with the lap band, but several years ago I lost 75lbs in 1 year through weight watchers. I pray for your success in whatever you decide to do, it is a tough choice.
  • pghsteelerfan
    Options
    One word of advice when u get the lap-band done,,, pay close attention to your body and its signals...when u feel full...STOP!!!! Otherwise u will cause vomiting issues, and thats not pleasant...even if u only eat one or two bites...your body will tell u thats enuff!!! I'm sure there is alot of folks with All kinds of experiences...
  • Asherscrashers
    Asherscrashers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hey all i am ashley i was banded April 22, 2011 and have lose 104 lbs so far. so nice to meet some new bandsters out there!
  • fbridges
    fbridges Posts: 3
    Options
    It is good to read everyone's experiences. I still consider myself a newbie at lapband. I thought I went into this with very open eyes. My sister had the surgery a year before me. She loved it and still does. She lost a little over 100 lbs. Compared to me she lost her weight really quick. In the last year she has put about 15 lbs back on. A couple months back I put on 7lbs. I have re-focused and am on the losing track again.

People ask me all the time if I had it to do over would I. I have to think about it, but I usually come back and say "yes". My reasons for doing this was not just to lose weight. I was on several medications from weight related problems. I wanted off the medicines and I wanted my active life back. I went through an episode, and I had not had a fill in about 4 months, where I felt like I was bulimic. I thought, "if I had wanted to be bulimic I could have done that for free". I HATE vomiting! After going over my eating habits I realized I was eating too fast, not chewing my food enough, and trying to eat foods I knew I no longer should eat. I am off all my medications. I do feel great. Most of the food I can no longer eat, I don't even miss.

I think what I get from all our post is that, as they tell you, all of our experiences are different. No two people have the same outcome. I am lucky in that I can call on my sister when I have a question or need someone who has shared the same experience. Now I have this post. :smile:
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello! =) I was banded June 7, 2012 after a lifetime of yo-yoing. My official loss as of my 6 week visit is 20 pounds. July 18 was my first fill, and I am really learning to listen to my body - when you're done...you're DONE! lol I'm a newbie with this, but so far, so good!
  • ddrobins1956
    Options
    Hi all,

I was Banded on July 27th. So far, so good. I'm on pureed foods now and about to progress to soft. I'm eating 3 very small meals and 1 snack. I'm on around 700-900 calories a day, right now. I figure that will increase to 1000-1200 a day, once I begin eating real solid food. So far, I'm down 20lbs. from June 21st when I had my preop consult with my doctor. The 2 week liquid protein diet was a challenge for me, but I made it through and only had a bit of real food a couple of times. I must have done pretty well, as my surgeon said I had a very clean liver for a bariatric patient.
    I'm loving my Lap Band. I know it's fairly new, but I definitely feel some restriction with it, and I'm able to stick to my food schedule with no hunger and no cravings. I've been very good with sticking with my program, as I do not want to cause myself any problems. I have had zero nausea or vomiting issues, so far. Twice, I think I took one or two bites over what I should have and I had an uncomfortably full feeling, but other than that, I've been trying to eat slowly with small bites and look for the feeling of having had enough. It's a subtle feeling, but I'm starting to recognize it. I'm very determined to make this work for me. I'm happy and excited so far and thinking that this will be my ticket to success. I know it won't be easy as time goes along and that's why I'm trying to be more faithful about signing onto My Fitness Pal and keeping a log of my diet and exercise and achievements.
    If any of you have some really good high protein recipes that have become your favorites, I hope you will share them.
    I'm making lasagna today with no noodles. I'm using lean ground beef, ground turkey and ricotta and parmesan cheeses as my protein source. I may still have to puree it a bit this time around but I'm making enough that I will have 3 servings to freeze. I've also heard that a lot of Bandsters make muffin tin meals and then freeze them individually. I'm going to try that with a vegetable quiche recipe that I have.
    Have a wonderful day.

Deb:smile:
  • TheBestSR
    TheBestSR Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    HI Everyone. I'm pre-op for a Lap Band (hopefully this September pending insurance approval). I had a gastric bypass 12 years ago and had success with that... but had 4 babies in the following years and the rest is history.

I start my liquid diet on Aug 27th but I put myself on a semi-liquid diet for the past 3 weeks, just to get a head start and a little accustomed to it. It really hasn't been too bad but that could also be bc I had a bypass so my stomach is still smaller from that surgery. Part of me thinks it's a relief to have less angst about making food choices and to just pick up a protein shake!

I have over 100 pounds to loose but at this point I'm taking it one little pound at a time... for some reason every one of them loves me and my body so much that they don't want to leave. I can't wait to just move onto the surgery and beyond. It's time.

Hoping to connect with everyone.
    Thanks!
    Please add me: TheBestSR

(I'm also on lapbandtalk.com as Shira)
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    . Hi, everyone I had my lapband July 13, 2010. I am two years out and still working towards goal. i started presurgery at 288, surgery 264 and cw 217. I have had a lot of medical issues starting out and take a ton of medications. I think that has slowed my weight lose down. I am thankful in this 2 year journey I have not had a weight gain. That's defiently a positive.
    I am trying very hard to make it to onederland by my birthday August 20th. That is 17 pounds to lose, but I am very determined!
    I have been fighting some major acid reflux lately. I am trying to baby it and OTC medicate. I do not want to have fluid removed right now.But I am paying attention and if it gets any worse I will do the responible thing.
    Glad to meet everyone! Good luck on the journey!

I had the same issue and took the same self medication and hope it goes away approach. 4 months later I gave in and got 2cc removed. It's been 2 weeks and I have lost 8.5 lbs. sometimes lack of nutrients from overtightening can hinder a loss!

I have been banded since March 2011. I lost 83 lbs in 8 months and then started full time school and work and fell off completely! I gained 12 lbs in the 10 monts that I was in school....plus my band was too tight for some of that time. I have since finished school and started to eat better and WORKOUT and the lbs are melting off once again!

SW: 327
    CW: 248
    GW: 139
    Best decision ever!
    Heather
  • ddrobins1956
    Options
    Hi Guys,

It's been over four weeks since my surgery. I'm eating about 1200 calories a day. Sometimes less than that but pretty close to 1200. I haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks. I was going gang busters during my liquid and mushy stage. I'm not sure just what is going on. I'm getting plenty of protein, right in the 80 gr. a day range. Never less than 60. I'm eating veggies with every meal. I have not had any bread, pasta, rice, noodles, cereal, I mean zero. My carb count has been very low. I have had sweet potatoe a few times. I know for sure, that I am sticking with the program and not over eating. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
    I have lost 2 sizes in slacks and almost 10 inches in my measurements of hips, waist, neck, and chest. I've been walking for exercise. Do you think I could not be getting enough to eat? I see my doctor Sept. 14, hopefully for my first fill. I feel dissapointed that I'm not losing any weight.
  • BeeBlueHeron
    Options
    Hi! I'm only six days post op but looking for ideas, input, and advice. Really looking forward to being part of the group!
    Blue
  • pghsteelerfan
    Options
    Hello group banders...Fall is coming around the corner, sort of marks the last quarter of the year....So why dont we make a run for it. Finish this year with a bang...make a small goal and lets achieve it!!! We already got part of the tools to accomplish this,,, so lets use it to our advantage.....If u can dream it, u can achieve it!!! Just Believe it!!! Have a great september!!!
  • shannontoback3
    shannontoback3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I was banded on September 11th, 2012 and am currently down 29lbs. Things are going really, really well for me so far. I just started to feel hunger again over this last week or so. Nice part is I don't need to eat much to not feel hungry anymore. I get my first fill in 2 weeks. I am super motivated right now and I'm following all the guidelines and having much success! So glad there is a group here to offer support and advice!

SW: 292
    CW: 263.4
    GW: I have a few :) First will be to get below 220, then below 200 and see how I feel there. Ultimate goal is 170lbs.