Crushed by MFP Crush

Options
ShazMc73
ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
Hi all,

This is my first post here on the single peeps discussion and sadly, I just want to rant :grumble: Please bear with me and if you can offer some thoughts?!

I have been on MFP for almost a year now and have had awesome interactions with my pals - yay! There really are some amazing folks on this site. Recently, about a month ago, I started to chat with someone from my friends list. Single, really cool guy, first man on here that I have messaged back and forth with on just stuff and not fitness or diet. We were hitting it off big time. Anyway after a month of daily multiple messages and Skype and emails I thought things were coming along swimmingly.

There have been some red flags from early, he is petrified of being cheated on, has trust issues, is trying to move and not looking to meet someone now. Having said that, he has articulated that I am great and he is interested if I was not so far away. I travel a ton and am always happy to take a trip so did not see the distance as a big deal. I know I know, he's just not that into me and all that but I remained in hope.

A couple of days ago he sent me a long detailed message explaining why he has his fears when it comes to relationships. I responded with some of my own. Silence from his end, until yesterday - he went out, got drunk and then sent me several messages throughout the night starting with him liking me (yay!) and wishing he was with me (yay yay) to later on freaking out and being mean and saying that he is a mess and can't do relationsips and I am too far away and he can't trust and is being defensive. Well ok then.

This morning I sent a friendy message basically saying , hey you ok. want to talk about what that was about last night? No response. He eventually wrote to say he is worried so does not know what to say. He does not want to get on Skype or call to talk.

Do I just say screw it, forget about talking to this guy - he's the most interesting person I have met in a year and admittedly the first online interest I have ever had.

I suspect he is the dreaded emotionally unavailable man, but he really is interesting and gorgeous and funny and he motivates me in many ways. What makes more sense, waking up and walking away or holding on in hope?

:brokenheart:

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like a huge mess to me and drama I'd like to avoid.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Walk away. It is not like you ever met this guy in person.

The opposite sex always does stuff to aggravate and annoy us, no matter who we are.

There are many guys that will want to date you. Choose the best one.

Best wishes!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'll admit I've had several MFP crushes and it’s SOOO much fun!

But honestly I'd advise walk away unless you can enjoy the connection without wanting more. One thing I’ve found in my travels is guys love to flirt with you online but it’s only because they have no expectation of actually meeting you in person. When you give them the chance to meet in person they chicken out or poof. And this guy sounds like he doesn’t even know what he wants. Which means he might just use you for emotional support and then leave you hanging later when he meets “the one.”
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, am glad I posted after all, really appreciate the feedback and am feeling a little less crushed already. :smile:
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    My thoughts while reading your post: He sounds like a hot mess!
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    I'd move on. No need to waste any more energy on a seemingly hopeless cause.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Move on, delete him from your MFP friends list, skype etc. then block him so he can't chat you anymore. Forget that you met him, that's it.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    Definitely sounds like classic back-peddling.

He loved the attention and now that it's getting a little more "real" - more serious.... he's not as committed as he led on.

There are other guys out there. He's going to just break your heart now... or later down the road.

Good luck and stick around here hang with the rest of us!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    ^ What they said....
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, it's not a "red flag" when someone openly admits they have trust issues with long distance relationships and aren't looking for one. Just because you were okay with it and were hoping that he'd eventually change his mind doesn't mean he was playing games. He probably genuinely like(d)(s) you but he knows himself and what he's looking for. Neither one of you are a bad person, you just aren't compatible based simply on location. It sucks, but it is what it is. He hasn't done anything horribly wrong (who HASN'T gone out and gotten drunk and had a crazy emotional span). Fact is he doesn't want what you have to offer - even though you're AWESOME. It's just not going to work. He's not a bad person, you aren't any less of a catch. It's unfortunate but there are going to be plenty of other people online and off that you will have a connection with. People that you will actually have more than a months worth of messaging with :)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

There have been some red flags from early, he is petrified of being cheated on, has trust issues, is trying to move and not looking to meet someone now. Having said that, he has articulated that I am great and he is interested if I was not so far away. I travel a ton and am always happy to take a trip so did not see the distance as a big deal. I know I know, he's just not that into me and all that but I remained in hope.

Why? Why remain in hope when the guy has clearly told you he's not interested??

A couple of days ago he sent me a long detailed message explaining why he has his fears when it comes to relationships. I responded with some of my own. Silence from his end, until yesterday - he went out, got drunk and then sent me several messages throughout the night starting with him liking me (yay!) and wishing he was with me (yay yay) to later on freaking out and being mean and saying that he is a mess and can't do relationsips and I am too far away and he can't trust and is being defensive. Well ok then.

When somebody says they can't do relationships and you are too far away - BELIEVE them!!!
    Do I just say screw it, forget about talking to this guy - he's the most interesting person I have met in a year and admittedly the first online interest I have ever had.

If he's interesting then he's a good friend - nothing more. So why are you turning it into something romantic when it's clearly not what he's looking for? Do you really want to be the one making all the effort?? Speaking as someone that has done this, it really is not fun!

Women always take on the role of carer and nurturer. We think we are good enough to make a guy overcome their hang ups and solve their issues. I bet what's going through your head is "yeah, you may feel like that NOW, but you've not me ME! I will make it all better for you!!"

Sorry hun, but it seems like you're flogging a dead horse!!! Keep him as a friend. Enjoy the banter. But stop hoping. You can waste years or your entire life hoping..........:flowerforyou:
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    My thoughts while reading your post: He sounds like a hot mess!

This.

Not worth it. Not even a little bit.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Ahhh mfp crushes... The best kind. Le sigh.

Wouldn't worry too muxh a out this guy, if he wanted you like you deserve he would of made it happen. Just move on :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that despite all words and evidence to the contrary you fell for him and moved in your mind to thinking he would reciprocate.
    The title you picked indicates that to a degree you feel he hurt you but really you only have yourself to blame. :flowerforyou:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Send him money. Maybe he'll like you more!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I've done the long distance thing with the exact situation described above, I travel all the time, she had awful trust issues and was terrified of being cheated on. It just doesn't work. Even if you guys decided to pursue something, in 2 to 3 months something will make them question themselves and their paranoia will start dominating them. One excuse was she thought I cared more about my dog then her. The excuses become a lot less rational as time progresses.

Damn, I wish I learned that lesson after the first time, but I am a glutton for punishment.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I think you know the right answer already, but you're seeking our confirmation..

With that said: Leave the unnecessary drama. Let it go. Move on. Be happy. :)

Fin.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The fact that you already see warning signs BEFORE actually getting involved with him is a potential indicator of things yet to come. Acknowledging these issues is a good thing because alot of people would brush it aside. Trust your gut. If something feels wrong don't ignore it. Honestly I think you are setting yourself up for more heart ache and drama if you pursue things. Walk away. If its meant to be ( and yes, I hate that expression too) but if it really is meant to be, you two will find a way back to each other. Right now he needs to find himself!

Good luck.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Walk away, girl!!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    MFP and online crushes in general can be really fun, but especially with such distance, why let it get more complicated?