It all goes according to plan...

Options
2»

Replies

• derekjnichols
    derekjnichols Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First of all, I love the graphs. In my professional life, I'm a very data and visual oriented person. I make those kinds of charts all the time, but I have a reservation about this for weight loss. Isn't it harder to shed the pounds the more weight you lose? and does that take in muscle gain?

I just wouldn't want to get discouraged by setting goals that might not be attainable..
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    First of all, I love the graphs. In my professional life, I'm a very data and visual oriented person. I make those kinds of charts all the time, but I have a reservation about this for weight loss. Isn't it harder to shed the pounds the more weight you lose? and does that take in muscle gain?

I just wouldn't want to get discouraged by setting goals that might not be attainable..

Great point, but I still have quite a bit to lose, and with my end-game reassesments at a couple of major milestones, I should be ok. It's more to gauge progress than keeping it to a hard and fast schedule. I also track measurements, so I'm not solely relying on the Scale.

I'm going to book myself in for a bod pod assessment for the beginning of August, so that should give me an interesting set of metrics, and then I can book another in 3 months or so to see how I'm doing.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Oh, definitely it's not linear. I was dropping five pounds every three weeks or so until I hit 220 lbs. Then it took me all of April, May, and June to drop five pounds down to 115. Then starting this month, I've started to lose pretty quickly again . . . which may or not be related to this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/661501-probiotics-broke-my-plateau

I don't do a lot of heavy lifting, so I doubt I'm gaining much muscle mass. I do use the YMCA body fat formula to check that most of my loss is coming from fat, not lean body mass. It's a formula based only on weight and waist circumference (for men). I'm sure it's not very accurate, especially for someone like me who is many standard deviations away from the average height, but it at least is an indication that I'm not digesting muscle. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

My waist is shrinking fast enough that my lean body weight is increasing according to the formula. I don't actually believe that, but it at least reassures me most of my loss is fat. The really good lipid profile, blood sugar, and blood pressure numbers I got in June are also reassurance that I'm moving in the right direction!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't expect anyone else will be able to follow this graph but . . . .

bodyfat.jpg

On the left hand scale, this shows my total weight decreasing from 248 to 211 (projected down to 208) with my lean body weight increasing (supposedly) from about 170 to 185. (I don't believe that. It's just the inaccuracy of the YMCA formula for someone as tall as me.)

On the right hand scale, it shows my waist measurement decreasing from 45+ inches to 33 inches. And my body fat percentage decreasing from 30+ % to ~11%. (I don't really believe that either. I don't have the look and feel of someone with only 11% body fat.)