New Here, HI! I have a question.....

Options
dovek11
dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
Hi, I am 51 yo and found out 6 months ago that I am a life long Celiac. This has answered so many questions about my health over the years that doctors couldn't seem to explain! I am totally dedicated to being Gluten Free, to the point of being paranoid to eat food made by other hands than my own. I have not tried eating out. The fear of getting sick is more powerful than the thought of going out for a meal!!

I have also gone grain and dairy free, finding that since quitting gluten I have intolerances to those also. I have finally found what I can eat and always feel wonderful!

What took me awhile to find, is the answer to fat loss. The combination of what I can eat and in what amounts, to get the weight loss. I think I have found my answer, but I am always looking for new ideas !!!!

My question is..... what 'type' of diet is working for you in your weight loss adventure?
And have you tried other diets that didn't work?

Thank you so much for sharing !

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I just calorie count - eat around 1600 cals a day plus exercise calories back. Works well for me.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have to count calories and exercise. I have had Celiac for 6 1/2 years berfor I found out I weight in at 130 pound and could eat what i want how much i wanted. That all changed for me over night. the frist yearI put on 75 pounds and it had been going up from then. it took me seeking help from a nutritionist to learn how to eat.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hi there.... I was diagnosed in April and also have found I have a corn intolerance, as well as a MAJOR intolerance to GF breads (not sure which flour I am sensitive to, so I am avoiding all). I am find with lactose... as long as I don't overindulge.

Because I went from eating crap to eating just meat, veggies, and fruit... I have lost about 21lbs. I am basically eating Paleo.... but I still indulge in sugar sometimes.

Good luck!! This is a very supportive group here on MFP!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,119 Member
    Options
    Like others, I calorie count and exercise but I've got so many things that cause distress that I don't have any soda/pop, no added sugar, a gluten-free cracker once in a while but basically no gluten-free bread, bagels, muffins, cake, cookies, etc. I've more NOs than I have GOs. But I'm feeling better. Two other things, I mostly eat smaller meals throughout the day so as to not overload my digestion and I pretty much always have a smoothie for my last meal of the day. Again, trying to be kind to my digestion.

After I was diagnosed I cold not tolerate dairy for about 4 months. As things started to heal, I was able to tolerate dairy and now have dairy products everyday with no apparent problem.

Give yourself time. Be kind to yourself. And I agree, I have no tolerance for gluten whereas other people seem to be able to eat a bit and not suffer so do be cautious about eating out.

Lin
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing!!!!! Its supportive to know I am not the only one here with other intolerances.

My most frustrating thing was trying to find the combination of food/calories that would produce weight loss. I joined MFP to log calories after different family members said I ate too little, and they were right! I was only getting 800-900 calories a day. I had trouble getting the amount of calories I needed, without feeling stomach distress for putting too much in my tummy. After all those years of Celiac stomach issues, and now having my stomach not hurt, I sure didn't want to cause ANY stomach aches to come back. I discovered the Keto diet, watch my calories too and I am doing much better.

My set backs come from what I assume is inflammation, not fat gain. Just last week I tried what I thought to be a 'safe for me' calcium supplement, only to react, and gain 3 lbs in a day. :( Its slow going when I mess up like that.

Thanks!