Parents think I'm returning to old ways

Options
I wrote this huge post because I needed to rant but had second thoughts to leaving it here.

The gist: My parents worry about me and my health since I have a history of starving myself and overexercising. So they're a little wary of my being on MFP.

How do I make them understand this is probably the healthiest way for me to diet? And that 1200 is plenty of calories (1200 is a LOT for me!) and that 35 mins of pilates 5 days out of the week is not "too much"?

Replies

• PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    are you under the care of a professional team? We don't know you or your history, so we can't really tell you what's too much or too little.
  • Crocetti1984
    Options
    No professional team. Never been rehab'd. Struggled with weight since I was 10, have history of starving and severe calorie restriction (my worst was 500 cals a day). I'm 5'9, large frame, my healthy range is between 170 and 149 lbs. Currently I'm 164 and goal is 149 or 150. I do 35 mins of pilates every weekday and ride my bike around doing errands when it cools down in the evening.
    Stepmum thinks I'm becoming "frantic" to lose weight (I'm not. I'm sticking to my 1200 calorie goal MFP gave me) and exercising way too much. She gets home later than I do so she doesn't see me have dinner at 5:30. I think she thinks I'm lying when she's making dinner around 7 and I told her I already ate.
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options
    Maybe give them access to view your food diary? Then they can check it out and see that you are in fact eating and being healthy.

Honestly, counting calories is probably unhealthy for us with EDs, or so most doctors would say. It keeps me sane, so do what's right for you. If you find it's becoming triggering maybe bring it up with your parents and seek professional help?
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Maybe give them access to view your food diary? Then they can check it out and see that you are in fact eating and being healthy.

Honestly, counting calories is probably unhealthy for us with EDs, or so most doctors would say. It keeps me sane, so do what's right for you. If you find it's becoming triggering maybe bring it up with your parents and seek professional help?

That's good advice. I would also really suggest getting a counselor or therapist. I know that even when I'm feeling "good", having someone to decompress with and figure out the true root of my food anxiety really helps.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    This site to some may seem wrong because of viewing the calories but working with my team it has been helpful to help keep me accountable and understand what I need to add as I am trying to get back to an active life again. But it can be dangerous if you have a pattern of restricing. Also it has been helpful for my husband to see my journal keeping both of our emotions a little in check since we both have different fears about recovering from ED
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    you probably aren't eating enough if you ride your bike every day and do the pilates.

This is a good post about logging.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/291071-activity-level-and-logging-exercise
  • Crocetti1984
    Options
    you probably aren't eating enough if you ride your bike every day and do the pilates.

This is a good post about logging.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/291071-activity-level-and-logging-exercise

Actually, I am. After I've logged my exercise I check to see how many calories I have left to consume on MFP. If it's too low and I get that red "ZOMG YOU HAVEN'T EATEN ENOUGH CALORIES!" warning, I go find something to eat so I make my calories for the day.
  • Crocetti1984
    Options

That's good advice. I would also really suggest getting a counselor or therapist. I know that even when I'm feeling "good", having someone to decompress with and figure out the true root of my food anxiety really helps.

I did that. I used to meet with a nutritionist and a counselor once and twice a week, respectively. To be honest I'm doing a lot better now than I was with the nutritionist at the time.