how long to be on Phentermine?

Options
It seems there are a lot of different opinions on how to prescribe Phentermine. I didn't know anything about it when I first went to a nutritionist.. I am 56. 5'2" with starting weight of 176. She ran a complete set of blood tests, prescribed Phentermine, Vitamin D and occasional shots of B12. I have taken the Phentermine daily for almost 4 weeks, 5000mg of Vitamin D (found out my D level is a 14...low low low) and fish oil and exercise for my high cholesterol. At my first follow up (2 1/2 weeks in) I had lost 10 pounds. I asked how long I would be taking the Phentermine, and she replied with, as long as I am wanting to lose (new goals will be set at each visit). She believes that everyone has that "healthy" weight and sometimes you need to get there before you know what it is. She does not believe in setting goals too far ahead and getting "skinny" versus "healthy". I don't really like taking medication to lose, but my cholesterol is an issue and I need to get it down or take medication for that. So is this safer than other drugs??? Will I have a hard time keeping the weight off when the Phentermine is no longer in my system??? Thoughts????

Replies

• Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have been on my Phentermine regimine for about 1 1/2 weeks and have lost about 12.6 pounds so far. I have another 87 pounds before I hit my first goal (175 pounds). Obviously, I haven't hit maintenance yet. What I have read thus far is that if we return to our old way of eating, yes, we will gain everything back, plus more, and it will happen quickly. We have to use Phentermine as a tool to help us learn new habits. I am learning how to use more vegetables to add satiety to meals. And I am not longer stuffing myself...which is a definite positive!

One thing that I have read a lot of concerns about is that with lower calorie diets (my dr. set me to 1200/day) it may be easier to lose muscle along with the fat and if that happens, the ending metabolism will be lower and it will be easier to regain the weight.

I have also read a lot about lifting weights to maintain muscle. I am incorporating this into my exercise regime to ensure that I can maintain as much muscle as possible.

Of course, this is all my hypothesis...may be dead on, may not be. Grain of salt, I guess.

Good luck on your journey!
  • tgbyfield
    tgbyfield Posts: 62
    Options
    My doctor told me that if I go back to eating the crap I was eating before taking the drug I will definitely gain the weight back and then some. Most people on here are saying that their doctor gave them a 1500 calorie diet or less. My doctor told me to eat between 1600-1800 calories per day and get at least a 20 minute workout. The 20 minutes does not start until I have raised my heart rate to the target rate for my age and weight and I must maintain that heart rate during the 20 minute time period. She said that this will help me burn the maximum amount of calories eat day I invested in a heart rate monitor, it's relatively cheap, so I could make sure I do this. Since I already eat between 1600-1800 calories per day I usually don't have to eat back the calories I burn from exercise; however, I still track what I burn to make sure I don't fall under 1200 net calories per day. I have lost a total of 26lbs so far, some on and some off of phentermine. I think being able to consume more calories in my diet will help me when I stop the phentermine because I will be able to eat a little more when I feel hungry. My doctor says that typical use is 6 months to a year and it's really not recommended for any longer than that. I have to go in to see her once a month so she can monitor my blood pressure.

So far, I think taking the drug is definitely helping me make smarter choices on a more consistent basis because I am not so hungry that I pull into the nearest restaurant to satisfy my craving. I have learned to keep small snacks, fruit and veggies with me so I always have something to snack on when that hunger pain calls.

I have read all the horror stories about people who lose the weight only to gain it all back, but I think the problem is that people are not looking for a lifestyle change when they start this medication. They hear that it will make the weight come off, and it will, but they don't put the time and effort into making a life change to keep the weight off. The way I see it, counting calories and working out is something I will do forever in order to be healthy. Phentermine will help me achieve the results I've always wanted, but it certainly won't help me maintain them.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    tggbyfield: I think you got it. "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." I will also be watching what I am doing for the rest of my life. I think you are approaching this right...as a tool, rather than the "magic pill" so many on mfp seem to think it is. It helps. So does a treadmill, exercise DVDs, weights, etc. But it won't do the work for you. Way to go in making changes to better your life!
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It only works for me for 2 months... then I have to go off it completely for at least 6 months.
  • momornana
    momornana Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey TGGBY- I agree with you. Every one of us who has dieted before are here because we gained the weight back. So, Phentermine is no different than that. It does take a mindset that this time I want changes to my whole perspective to keep the weight off. Phentermine helps you get quick results early on, which gives you that boost and encouragement to keep it up. NO MORE GAINING IT BACK.