Food/Diet

Options
Post Questions or ideas on meals, recipes, diets here!

Replies

• wvwinner
    wvwinner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing smoothie recipe I came across! It is not for everyone but it is actually very good.

Monster Smoothie

Blend together:
    1 Frozen banana (make sure you peel and slice before freezing)
    3/4 cup of vanilla yogurt
    1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or reg milk, soy milk, etc)
    1 Tbsp peanut butter
    2 cups (or more) spinach

Approx. 300 Calories
  • sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Options
    I have an amazing smoothie recipe I came across! It is not for everyone but it is actually very good.

Monster Smoothie

Blend together:
    1 Frozen banana (make sure you peel and slice before freezing)
    3/4 cup of vanilla yogurt
    1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or reg milk, soy milk, etc)
    1 Tbsp peanut butter
    2 cups (or more) spinach

Approx. 300 Calories

Sounds really yummy actually!!
  • nastassia11
    Options
    That smoothie sounds sooooo good
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    For those of you who actually purchased P90X or Insanity....it comes with a nutrition guide. I HIGHLY recommend reading it!!!! I JUST read mine today and I'm kind of in shock. There's an equation in the book that tells you how many calories you should be eating per day based on your height, weight, age and activity level. Apparently I should be eating WAY more. I think that MFP comes pretty close IF I were to eat back my exercise calories, which I haven't been doing. Guess I will start. But it's not just about eating the right number of calories, it's about balancing calories, carbs and fat. And about eating HEALTHY cals and carbs. I don't think you can purchase just the nutrition guide which sucks but just try to stay away from processed, pre-packaged ****!!
  • nastassia11
    Options
    Well I lost my guide lol but when I first did p90x and insanity I just ate right mostly skinless chicken and fish ( I measured portion by palm of my hand . Lots of veggies and salads . Breakfast was egg whites or lean cereal fat free milk ( always measured cereal am milk ) snacks were almonds or rice cakes or some fruit . Cheat days was frozen yogurt always love it :) and also lots of water . And I did just fine. Oh yeah and protein shakes ! After a workout I use pre workout powder before since I excerises in the morning :( also lunch is tuna or fish and a salad . Need to learn recipes to eat different ways instead of the same old ways lol ( grilled or baked and steamed )
  • sgoessling
    Options
    VERY TRUE ABOUT CAL!!
    i was at 1200, and my beachbody fitness coach sent me this link:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I am now at 1900 and feel wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better working out! he said to choose the weight loss option NOT the extreme one. He said that the extreme is too close to stravation mode, and if you stay in that to long your body holds onto fat to use to fuel its self so up your calories according to the calculator so you can kick butt monday!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    He said that the extreme is too close to stravation mode, and if you stay in that to long your body holds onto fat to use to fuel its self so up your calories according to the calculator so you can kick butt monday!!

Absolutely! I am currently doing Insanity, and hadn't lost weight this past week like I should have because I've been eating too little. The DAY that I upped my calories, I lost weight that very next day :)
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    With not knowing if everyone had the nutrition guide etc. I typically provide that site as it calculates the required calorie level quickly for people without having to pull out the calculator etc.

For me when I started P90X at 221 pounds my calculations were as follows:
    RMR = 2210
    Daily burn = 2652
    Calories required = 3252 (round down to 3000 for Level 3)

With newer nutrition information available and finding the site I shared, you need to have about a 500-600 calorie per week deficit in order to effectively drop weight even with P90X. My coach and one of my mentors helped me in learning that as well. So for my start I dropped to 2400 and adjusted after each 30 days based on weight loss I had (which was 10 pounds per month, very safe body fat loss).

The P90X Nutrition guide calculates your calories as follows:
    Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) = (Your body weight) x 10
    Your daily activity burn = (Your RMR) x 20%
    Calories required = (Your RMR) + (Daily Activity Burn) + 600

For some people when they calculate that number they don't read the nutrition guide to realize that they need to "round down" on their calories to determine the "Level" they should be (1800-1900, 2400, 3000+) if they are trying to lose weight.
  • sgoessling
    Options
    Found the guide on beach body!! Thank goodness because my bf lost it forever ago

http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/dl_get_file/32ea4c06-2287-4660-8adc-8db758929d28
  • Tulip1115
    Tulip1115 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have made it to week 2! Still not so good at Chest and Back but I'm trying and abs are KLLING me but I try to get half way up atleast :) I'm so happy to see the link the for nutrition guide info because I got the discs from a friend and it didn't have the guide. So a couple questons: lets face it I can not follow all those recipes, but if I come up wih my own healthy alternatives and stick to my calorie intake I should be ok right? Lastly how many of you use the recovery formula/protein stuff, do you see any benefit from it?
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    blue,

The recipes in the nutrition guide are a just that, a guideline. Some people have allergies to certain foods and may not be able to eat some of the recipes. If the actual recipes are a little much to do you have many other options. I'd be glad to help you out with dialing in your nutrition further.

As for your question about the P90X Results/Recovery and other supplements. P90X R&R will speed up your recovery very fast. It's formulated to help relieve soreness and get your body to replenish the glycogen stores that you depleted during your workouts.

Which "protein stuff" are you referring to? There are several available. The whey protein from Beachbody is high quality and a good amount of protein in one drink. If you are referring to the Beachbody Meal Replacement Shake it's also a good product to help you lose weight. Shakeology will help you to drop the weight you are wanting, boost your energy a ton and supply your body with premium nutrition in one drink. Shakeology is basically P90X for your insides.

Let's get you dialed in and optimize your nutrition. We need to calculate your caloric needs and protein/carb/fat ratios unless you want to go with the recipes or portion guide. Portion guide can be a little tricky for some though. Having access to MFP here tracking calories and protein/carb/fat makes it much easier versus portions.

Brad