Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need Advice: One Rep Max

crashri
crashri Posts: 19 Member
OK, still being new to Xfit (just about 1 month), can someone give me advice for "finding" my one rep max. Today we did deadlifts and think I was using too much weight. I figured I would hit an open gym session one night and figure out my 1 rep max on a bunch of different movements so I can figure out my modified weight from the RX WOD.

Replies

• spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Personally I wouldn't attempt a 1RM without a spotter (esp for bench or squats), but there are several 1RM calculators available online:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

This one varies the results for different lifts (bench, squats, deads):
    http://www.calculatorpro.com/advanced-one-rep-max-calculator
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    You won't be able to get a true max on your lifts if you do them all in one day. Tell your coach that you want to start finding your maxes and they will be able to help you find time to do so
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    You should be warming up to a weight anyway before a WOD. Start with an empty bar and go up from there while you're warming up. Since all of our results from the previous classes are on the whiteboard I usually find someone I know is of similar strength as me on a lift and warm up to the weight that they did and go from there. Sometimes I might scale back a bit or add a bit more.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    You won't be able to get a true max on your lifts if you do them all in one day. Tell your coach that you want to start finding your maxes and they will be able to help you find time to do so

True, but if you ever intend on doing an Oly comp or a powerlifting comp you'll have to do them all together.