Powerblocks vs resitance bands

Options
vegas711
vegas711 Posts: 86 Member
You will need dumbbells or resistance bands to start P90X . I did the first week with resistance bands. I lost time looping, right band etc. While economical, I wanted to move on to something better. I spent a morning with coffee and researched and came across Powerblocks. basically 5-50lbs of weights in a 6" x 8" area that switch out depending what weight you'd like. More durable that the bow flex per many reviews. They aren't cheap. About $300 but wow what a difference they made in my workout. So for me the Powerblocks over resistance bands was best.

Thoughts from others?

Replies

• sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Options
    My boyfriend would LOVE these as dumbbells get very expensive when you have to buy a lot and also they seem easier to change out and can adjust with you. I personal like resistance bands better because I can adjust the tension easily and upgrade cheaper, and I also am very weak at the moment, though i am sure that will change once i get further in p90x. I think it really depends on your fitness and commitment level. For someone that uses a lot of weights, I think this would be the wiser choice. Though I myself will stick with resistance bands and smaller weights until I can build up strength, someone like you might enjoy being able to easily switch between weights without having to purchase a room of weights.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands is what I started with but had to upgrade to dumbbells as I progressed. I now use the Bowflex Selecttech 552. Got them on Amazon Prime for $280 with only $3.99 overnight shipping. Yes three dollars and 99 cents overnight with Amazon Prime account. I love my Selecttech's.

Resistance bands or dumbbells will work. I also like the Powerblocks and have used them in the past as well. It just so happened I found that awesome deal on Amazon for the Selettech's or I would have went Powerblocks.

Vegas711, I sent you a message on TBB this morning. Let's get together via chat, e-mail or phone and let's get your nutrition dialed in for some optimal results.
  • vegas711
    vegas711 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Got your message Brad.

Just an FYI, the person at ****s Sporting goods when I bought my Powerblocks said they just got a recall on those bowflex dumbbells so you may want to check into that.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I'll check into that as I really don't want to be lifting and then one of the plates fall off on my foot. :)
  • sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Options
    Good to know. I'll check into that as I really don't want to be lifting and then one of the plates fall off on my foot. :)

Why not? Sounds fun! :laugh: