I am a Breast Cancer survivor on a mission to lose weight

Options
Are you a Breast Cancer survivor trying to lose weight and trying to get healthy?

Replies

• corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hey.... my mother is undergoing treatment for breast cancer (doing very well). Unfortunately, she was always incredibly healthy and still got cancer but instead of having a negative mentality and screaming "screw my health" to the world, I have decided to live as healthy a life as I possibly can!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I was dx with breast cancer 2 years ago, when i was 33. Its a rare form that doesnt do well with chemo so they took the lump and the margins. Thought all was well till i found another lump this november and had another cancerous lump removed this last spring. Drs say even if i have a mastectomy there's no guarantee I wont keep getting this.

So im losing weight, hoping the decrese in hormones and fat lvls will help keep the lumps from forming. Id hate to have a lump that spreads before we catch it.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    my mom was dx with breast cancer about 10 years ago, she went thru radiation treatments. Last year she had a masectomy
    and chemo. She is doing well now ...but I make sure I go for my mamograms, last time they found a lump that ended up just
    being a cyst but was scarey when going for testing

Connie
  • QUEENPINKSPARKLEPARADISEBOUND
    Options
    Im honored to hear your story we our surviors thanks for the share:heart:
  • dorisbledsoe60
    Options
    Hi
    I'm a Breast cancr survivor of three years, they caught it in time , thanks to my daughter telling me i need to get a mamogram when i turned 50. thank you Nichole
    now i'm on a mission to stay fit and healthy I need to lose about 50 lbs. I love this APP. it's great
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've supported Komen race for the cure for years. My cousin is a survivor also.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've supported Komen race for the cure for years. My cousin is a survivor also.

ive donated to them for years too, LOOONG before i was dx with breast cancer, and i have no family members who've had breast cancer. Not sure why i thought it was so important so long ago, but thankful i did.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't have it myself, but I have an aunt on my mom's side - her sister, actually - who's a breast cancer survivor. It happened a few years back, I can't remember exactly how far. She was lucky, it was early and right behind the nipple so she only needed a lumpectomy. It never came back either. I've always been a supporter of breast cancer research, but when the news came that my aunt had it, I became even more of one. I'm large breasted myself, and fibrocystic breasts run in my mom's family, so I have to watch out for myself as I seem to have an (ahem) external version. I'm also a Canadian trying to lose weight as I have a plan: there's an annual run called the CIBC Run For The Cure every year, around the first Sunday in October. I'm too out of shape to do it this year, but I have a plan that I'm gonna lose enough weight so that when it's time for next year's run, I'll be joining the others. Here's to breast cancer research and survival!!! :flowerforyou:

Jennifer
  • irizner
    irizner Posts: 5
    Options
    I was a person who went every year for my mammogram and in July of 2011, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. MRI's pick up more than what mammogram's show. Mammogram showed lump on only one breast but MRI showed I had a lump on both. Because I went yearly for mammograms, the early detection and God's hand on my life has made me cancer free today. I am the only one who was diagnosed in my family, my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer (who is a survivor also) and my three sisters are healthy but I have two aunt's that were diagnosed with breast cancer from my mother side. One is battling it now and the other went to be with the Lord several years ago.
  • MonarchButterfly68
    MonarchButterfly68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a 44 year old breast cancer survivor who has been cancer free for 12 years; going through such a health crisis is life changing, and certainly serves as a reminder to me to not take any day for granted. I have always tried to eat healthy, fresh foods and am fairly active, but have about 12-15 pounds I would like to lose. Tell me about your cancer.......how long have you been a survivor?
  • irizner
    Options
    Praise God that you have been cancer free for a long time. It is 1 year for me since I have been diagnosed in July, 2011. I am also trying to take better care of myself and need to lose at least 60 pounds. I just started this program on July 10th and I lost 11 pounds so far. I feel more motivated this time, even though I know it will take several months to a year to lose 60 pounds. I asked God to help me and I can feel that he is. I have a bit more discipline and motivation than before.
  • karynmws
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma breast cancer in August of 2010. I went through chemo, a mastectomy, radiation and some reconstruction in the first year. I have been cancer free for just about 1 year. I am trying to lose the weight that I gained during my treatment due to stress and medications. Since May 22nd, it's been a slow-going but happy 14.4 pounds! Losing this weight is part of my strategy for regaining my life and my sense of "self". I'm so glad that I have found others that have been through the same issues with cancer and then trying to lose weight after. :)
  • wilmawm
    wilmawm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a breast cancer "newbie" - I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma on June 15th this year, my surgery (lumpectomy and sentinal node removal) was 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I have my first appointment with my radiation oncologist this Thursday. I've lost a lot of weight over the last 18 months and I am trying to keep up exercise and healthy eating so I don't gain any of it back as I go through treatment. I'm stressed out about this! I wish none of us had to be here, but it's nice knowing I'm not alone with this. :love:
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It is great to hear that everyone is making improvements on their health. I think staying healthy helps retain a positive outlook, well it most certainly has for my mother. My mother and I went to the geneticist this morning to discuss doing BRCA testing, which we did. We should know the results in about 2-3 weeks. It was incredibly important for my mother to have the test done for my sake. Has anyone else had genetic testing done?
  • wilmawm
    Options
    I had the testing done after I was diagnosed and before I made my surgery decision. I have family history - my mother, my maternal aunt, and maternal grandmother all had breast cancer. Happily, It turns out I don't carry the genetic mutation!
  • irizner
    Options
    I also had the BRCA testing done after my diagnosis of breast cancer last year and thank God it was negative. I have a mom and three sisters who were also waiting on the results of that test and after finding out it was negative, it put them at ease.
  • MovinonmomDawn
    Options
    I too am a Breast Cancer newbie, I was diagnosed on July 16 with invasive ductal carcinoma and had surgery for the lumpectomy 2 weeks ago. I should find out next week if I have to do chemo, although it was stage one, I may still have to do 4 rounds of chemo before i start radiation. I have always been really fit and am now stressing about the possiable weight gain that I have read about. I have not had the BRCA test since there had until now been no family history and it had not been suggested to me that I have it done.
  • irizner
    Options
    I pray that you get a good report back in Jesus name. Amen
  • wilmawm
    Options
    Dawn, any word on the chemo?
    I was 100% sure I wouldn't need chemo, but what do I know? My oncologist suggested I have the Oncotype DX test done. My score was right smack in the middle which is inconclusive. It's not a clear cut decision but based on my doc's advice I've decided to have the chemo. I'm ticked off and terrified all at the same time. I'll get through it, though; 3 months isn't that long.
  • stubtail
    stubtail Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am celebrating my 7 year cancerversary this month. I was diagnosed at 36 with Stage III breast cancer (1 node involved). I was pregnant at the time with my now 6 year old. She and I are doing well everyday and we started taking Karate classes together. I'm trying to lose the menopausal weight that i gained after surgery this spring... and the weight I was trying to lose before the surgery. I have about 30 pounds in all to get my weight under control. I did not have the BRCA done, we just assumed since my mom and her sister both had breast cancer. My mom is still surviving, but my aunt did not find hers in time for treatment.