Heart Rate time vs Min per mile

Options
Hi

My heart rate monitor keeps me in my zone. I hit 154 or higher i slow to 126 to 130. I jog/walk for 60 min. Do you think the speed is 3.5 or 2.0 . I average 4 to 5 mi. When it cools off I will run for 6 or 7 mi.

Thanks

Patsy :glasses:

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I never run by my HRM zone, I use PRE - Perceived Rate of Exertion, I don't like being stuck to numbers and know if I don't push myself to go faster and have higher HR because of it I will be stuck in a stagnant zone. Why are you wanting only within a certain area to run? And what are your running goals?

I've read a great article posted by a veteran poster here on MFP about how the longer you run, your HR will go higher and stay higher, so if out running 2-3 hours, you are likely to get into higher than average zones on a HRM.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    How are you setting your zones? Have you had a LT test done? Running by HR doesn't really work if you don't have accurate zones.

Training by HR zones works if you give it time and trust it. You will start to run faster at a lower HR. I've gone from running 10 minute miles at 140 BPM to running 8:30 minute miles at that HR in 4 months.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Got it. :smile: