Injury Question

Options
ka97
ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
So last week I did my Oly race. I then took a few days off - pretty much nothing Mon and Tue, a very light workout wed, and then Thur returned to my usual scheduled training/activities - soccer Thur, a run and a leg workout Fri, bike Sat, and then sprints and plyo today. Now have what feels like a hamstring/groin pull (high inside of thigh). A had a similar thing happen back in February - did a half marathon, took a week of, then had a hamstring injury when I returned to training.
Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or could it just be coincidence? I'm glad it didn't happen before the race, but still really really frustrated.

Replies

• Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Have you been stretching and resting? I'd keep the load light until it works itself out then ramp up.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Hamstring injuries are the worst. The only real way to fix them is to shut it down. I'd try low volume with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) after every workout and see how you progress.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have no information to offer about your injury, but I hope you feel better soon. On a different note, how did the race go? Race report, please!
  • ka97
    Options
    I have no information to offer about your injury, but I hope you feel better soon. On a different note, how did the race go? Race report, please!

All things considered, it went pretty well. It was a late start time (9am) and an extremely hot and humid day. My swim was better than expected. I actually felt really good on the swim, but didn't realize until I had finished that I had taken about 5 minutes of my expected time. But then I really really had to pee when I got out of the water, so my T1 time was horrendous. The bike was pretty much what I expected. The bike is my worst leg. I still haven't been able to get a hand free to drink on the bike, and despite practicing in training I struggled to get the camelback in place during T1, so I ended up just going with the gatorade on the bike, which meant I had to pull off to the side on the bike route in order to drink. Not such a great solution, so I guess I'll be really focusing on that next year. The heat was just awful on the run. It was my worst run time ever, and the most I've ever walked on a run. I know there were many who didn't finish, and there were lots of others running/walking with me, so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, but I would have liked to have done better with it.
    But overall I'm thrilled that I did it. I know it's an accomplishment just to finish and looking forward to improving next year.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It seems unreal that any Olympic in July would start at 9:00 am. Poor planning! All things considered, it sounds like you did well. As far as the biking/drinking, I have the same issue. I can get to it, but I am scared and I don't do well....so I don't do it. I JUST put tri bars on my bike and added the tri water bottle between the tri bars. Today was my first time trying them out. WHAT A DREAM! You must make this addition, especially if you have this problem and plan to go long. It enabled me to drink a full water bottle on my bike today. Great investment! Congratulations on your Olympic! Great work.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options

All things considered, it went pretty well. It was a late start time (9am) and an extremely hot and humid day. My swim was better than expected. I actually felt really good on the swim, but didn't realize until I had finished that I had taken about 5 minutes of my expected time. But then I really really had to pee when I got out of the water, so my T1 time was horrendous. The bike was pretty much what I expected. The bike is my worst leg. I still haven't been able to get a hand free to drink on the bike, and despite practicing in training I struggled to get the camelback in place during T1, so I ended up just going with the gatorade on the bike, which meant I had to pull off to the side on the bike route in order to drink. Not such a great solution, so I guess I'll be really focusing on that next year. The heat was just awful on the run. It was my worst run time ever, and the most I've ever walked on a run. I know there were many who didn't finish, and there were lots of others running/walking with me, so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, but I would have liked to have done better with it.
    But overall I'm thrilled that I did it. I know it's an accomplishment just to finish and looking forward to improving next year.
    It sounds horrible, but you did it and that's awesome! :)
  • ka97
    Options
    No, not as bad as I might have made it sound. Didn't feel horrible at the time (except for maybe the last half of the run). It was a great experience. I did enjoy it, and I'm soooo glad that I did it. I think I'm just obsessing about all the things I need to improve on for next time.