Injury question

Options
ka97
ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
Last weekend I did a triathlon. I then took a few days off - pretty much nothing Mon and Tue, a very light workout Wed, and then Thur returned to my usual scheduled training/activities - soccer Thur, a run and a leg workout Fri, bike Sat, and then sprints and plyo today. Now have what feels like a hamstring/groin pull (high inside of thigh). A had a similar thing happen back in February - did a half marathon, took a week of, then had a hamstring injury when I returned to training.
Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or could it just be coincidence? I'm glad it didn't happen before the race, but still really really frustrated.

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Yep, happened to me. I ran 4 half marathons in 4 months - when I did my final one I still felt great. The next week, I was back to full workouts, Plyometrics did me in. I jumped and pulled a muscle in my calf. I backed off 3 full weeks of low impact anything, did more yoga and recovery and went back slowly to running. It worked for me. My massage therapist and coach had me immediately ice it, I iced for 3-4 days, then went to heat and compression. I doubt it was a coincidence, sounds to me more like you raced harder than you realized you did and needed a bit more rest and recovery. Not sure about tri's but with running they tell you to take a day off after a race for each time - so 13 days on a half, 26 on a full. I don't think that means... nothing, just different activities, and lower impact. More recovery work less stress work.
  • DreadRunner
    Options
    Did you remember to get a good stretch in after the race? Its really easy to forget to do that with the crowds and everything going on.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should have probably taken more time to recover post-race. It doesn't mean you can't do any activity, but I would avoid plyo, sprints and other high-impact activities in the first 2-3 weeks after a half or full marathon. Swimming, yoga, light weights and easy slow runs are probably best. Everyone is different so you have to do what works for you. Since it's happened to you twice now, that's probably your best bet.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I figured since I felt fine it would be ok to get back to training. Probably not such a good idea.