New to P90X and protein intake

Options
Hi All!

I have just started with P90X today, and let me tell you I am excited, I did the Chest and Back workout but substituted the pull up bar with resistance bands and woah they work. The Ab ripper x was a killer, i still couldn't do some of the moves but i'm hoping in a few weeks i'll get there.

Just a query with the nutrition plan, I am doing phase 1 level 1 (50% protein,30% carbs, 20% fats) I find that I am having trouble meeting my protein intake of 212g (according to MFP). I am on a daily intake of 1700 calories. Any of you finding it hard to eat a lot of protein? and any ideas of protein snacks besides protein shakes and bars? Any tips about the programme and nutrition would be great!

I would love the support and encouragement so if you are also new to P90X please add me as a friend or if you have had experience with the programme please add me also :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Tiberius707
    Tiberius707 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eggs or egg whites in the morning are a great source of protein. Also check out greek non-fat greek yogurt - theres usually just as much protein in 1 cup as 2oz of chicken plus there quick to eat and easy to take anywhere. For the rest of the meals free range chicken and fish are usually the way i go. Takes about 20 mins to grill up but if you cook enough each night you can have some for lunch the next day. Super helpful for me since I work in an office and like bringing in healthy lunch - saves time & money plus I actually know what's in my food. The main thing is to get at least 6 servings a day of protein - I assume based on your calorie intake your at level one so just make sure your eating enough for the workouts - it's easy to not eat enough because it seems like a lot and people want to lose weight (which was one of my goals at first) and I found when I started eating more in phase 2 I was able to push harder during workouts and had more energy and I ended up losing more weight than I did in phase 1! Just stick to clean foods and you'll get awesome results! I love P90X and I'm currently in my second round right now really focusing on better nutrition and eating a lot more fruits and vegetables and not having any garbage foods. Nutrition is 70% of the battle so just make sure ya bring it for the workout everyday and then it's all about the food!
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Congratz... I am on week 2 so I did the same workout as you today. Chicken breast, egg whites, load em up. I tried there low carb diet which is what it was and I couldn’t do it. I crashed. My body fat is too low so make sure to adjust it for you. I went back to eating my regular HIGH carb diet and I feel great my workouts are better and I have alot of energy I can throw around!
  • Super_Dave_32
    Options
    As everyone else has said, egg whites are a great option. Four egg whites only contain 100 calories, but they also have 20 grams of protein. A scoop of Muscle Milk protein is also a solid choice since it gives you 27 grams of protein and only contains 140 calories. Hope that's helpful.
  • keepfitkiwi
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips...i've been eating a lot of egg and cottage cheese lately as well as my protein shake after my workouts, can't wait till phase 2 so I can eat a bit more carbs again :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 day 2 and am loving the workouts but struggling with the diet too. i'm just going to have to knuckle down and eat more egg whites. Egg white omelette with my chicken tonight. *rolly eyes*
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    Welcome to P90x! This program is awesome!

It took me awhile to figure out my nutrition to work. I find that the best sources for protein are chicken breast, egg whites, whey protein powder, cottage cheese and string cheese. Great protein, low in fat and carbs.