Day 22 - eat consciously

Options
Fattack
Fattack Posts: 666 Member
This is SUNDAY'S post, I didn't manage to post it yesterday because the internet's been acting up a bit. We think we've located the furry, feline source of the problem, and are keeping it away from the router... Eating whilst multitasking can sometimes be problematic, but you don't have to have a sit-down meal all the time. Which is great, because it's not always possible to sit down and eat - for example, you may be busy at the office, or you may have a toddler running around (or in my case a pug) that requires a lot of attention and watching. But you can still pay attention to your food whilst doing other things. Here's a sample exercise to improve food awareness.

---Choose a meal or snack
---sit with it on a plate in front of you
---study the food for a minute or two - breathe in the smell, observe the colours and notice the patterns in the food
take a bite, paying attention to the flavour, the texture, and how it feels in your mouth. Chew it slowly and fully enjoy the experience of eating.
---NOW - look for ways to challenge your awareness - take a large bite and swallow it quickly, pretending you're on the run.
---Pick up the plate, carry it around the room.
---Eat a few bites whilst watching TV or look outdoors
---Sit back down and focus on the food again

Tasks:

1. Do a conscious eating exercise - such as the one listed above- with someone, such as your spouse, friend or child.
2. Intentionally create several distractions such as watching TV or having a conversation, but remain totally aware of your food intake.
3. Write a few sentences in this post to describe what you learned from this experience.

Replies

• Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I avoid this by putting my portion on my plate (or bowl - if it´s snacks) and putting the rest aside. Like if I really, really want chips and have saved some calories. My chips in a small bowl and enjoy. When they´re gone - they´re gone. The bag stays in the cupboard until next time.
    I used to have a problem letting the bag alone if I knew it was there - I´d snack out of it while making dinner or in the evening. But as I know this is too hard for me - I promise myself one treat every week. Friday evening. Maybe a glass of wine, or some peanuts or chips...