Bed size...

Options
MistyWeeks
MistyWeeks Posts: 28 Member
Okay, so for many years - maybe since my sisters were born (I was 5 when the first came along, and 6 when the second popped out - lol) I've had a bed bigger than a twin. I've been sleeping single for around 12 years (when my daughter's dad took off with another gal), but never downsized my bed. It's almost time to get a new mattress (oh the back aches this one is causing!!). But I'm trying to decide if I should downsize to a twin instead of a queen. I don't see my sleeping situation changing anytime soon.

What are your thoughts? What size bed to do you have?

Replies

• capabledesire
    Options
    I would never sleep on a twin by choice. Mostly because it would look funny in my big room. And I wouldn't be able to have movie parties in my bed with my daughter anymore.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I have a twin but I do miss the space for squeezing more than one person on to watch tv. That always happens when my nephew drops in and I had to get him a tiny recliner chair or we'd be cramped up trying to enjoy a flick.
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'll just say this. You'll be ensuring your sleeping arrangements don't change if you do downsize to a twin. I wouldn't do that.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I am a sprawler! I am only 4'11" but I take up more than 1/2 of my queen size bed! :laugh: :laugh: I wouldn't downsize, never know what may be around the corner!
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    I tend to sleep diagonally so anything smaller than a queen would be a disaster for me.
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    When I finally got out on my own, new apartment and new job, I decided I wanted a bedroom set. I knew that whatever I bought I would most likely keep for years, so I went with a king size. The guy at the store asked me if I was getting married.
    Me: No...
    Him: Ah. Boyfriend?
    Me: No....
    Him: Then why do you want a king size? Seems silly for a single woman to buy a king size bed.

I almost slapped him.
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had to have a king bed. It was very necessary...lol Now, not so much...lol
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Queen seems to be the standard adult but unattached size. Big enough to share if the opportunity arises, but not a size couple's buy. I have a queen.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I like the space of a large bed... I usually get the tail end of the stick (no pun intended) and end up with no blanket and get pushed to the side of the bed. One benefit of having a queen size bed and being single.
  • megg2991
    megg2991 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most people said. I had a twin bed for the last few years and I hated it, plus only one person can fit in a twin bed :wink: I recently got my queen bed back and it's amazing! I can sleep like my crazy self and have plenty of room to sprawl. Also, I'm only 5' 4" and my feet always hung off my twin if I stretched out, my queen bed is definitely more comfortable.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    They sell those ones that look like a day bed with an underbed that can be snapped up to make a double sized bed. If you get one of those, you'd have the space in the room and an extra bed that can be locked in place for guests if you really need it.

Monica
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I am pretty this lady already purchased her bed : )

This post was started in July.

Or is the bed a hypothetical bed and this whole thread on a level that I don't comprehend?
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Hahaha....good point SV. :)

That said, I think it's interesting to see that adults would want to sleep on a twin bed. They just don't seem to be big enough and it reminds me of a dorm room....and, what if you want company in that bed? I'm small, but still have a king-size bed.
  • SVCat
    Options
    I'm 6'4, there is no way my big *kitten* will fit in a Twin sized bed. I'd look like Will Ferrell in Elf. As it is, my queen sized bed is just barely enough to keep my feet from hanging.

As for company in the bed and having anything smaller than a queen, I'm sure you people can get creative and find a place elsewhere.
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    Yeah, but not for sleeping.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options

That said, I think it's interesting to see that adults would want to sleep on a twin bed. They just don't seem to be big enough and it reminds me of a dorm room....and, what if you want company in that bed? I'm small, but still have a king-size bed.

What's the big deal? Honestly, not everyone is running out and finding "company" as an adult. Some of us aren't necessarily interested in a relationships at this point - done that - prefer something more serious at this point and that means I don't have a bedroom that looks like something out of Animal House with the leopard print circle bed. Also, they do make EXTRA long mattresses. Trust me - mine is REALLY, REALLY long so someone whose 6 foot and up would easily fit on it. I'm not interested in dating right now - I've got to get my house in order and that means getting physically fit and improving my health. Honestly, I enjoy being single and I'm in no rush to make massive changes.

As for this being a while back, noted - next time check the time frame on it. Heck, a sleeper sofa takes care of the one issue - a twin bed is cheaper if you're on a budget trying to pay your kids bills. In other words, no need to be so critical of people's choices.
  • SVCat
    Options

What's the big deal? Honestly, not everyone is running out and finding "company" as an adult. Some of us aren't necessarily interested in a relationships at this point - done that - prefer something more serious at this point and that means I don't have a bedroom that looks like something out of Animal House with the leopard print circle bed. Also, they do make EXTRA long mattresses. Trust me - mine is REALLY, REALLY long so someone whose 6 foot and up would easily fit on it. I'm not interested in dating right now - I've got to get my house in order and that means getting physically fit and improving my health. Honestly, I enjoy being single and I'm in no rush to make massive changes.

As for this being a while back, noted - next time check the time frame on it. Heck, a sleeper sofa takes care of the one issue - a twin bed is cheaper if you're on a budget trying to pay your kids bills. In other words, no need to be so critical of people's choices.

I totally understand your point. Not everyone likes leopard print. I personally love my zebra print heart shaped, vibrating bed. With the mirrors on the cieling.

: )
  • RunIntheMud
    Options

I totally understand your point. Not everyone likes leopard print. I personally love my zebra print heart shaped, vibrating bed. With the mirrors on the cieling.

: )

Wow, not saying I have "company" jumping in and out of my bed... anyway. I apologize if I offended. I certainly didn't mean to.

SV!! That sounds like every woman's fantasy.... does it rotate too? ;)
  • missdannylee
    Options
    im single. I have a king size bed lol. i don't think i would like to downsize i love my bed
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    You didn't offend me...just wanted to point out that a person's goals may change and based on money - this person may prefer a bed that will provide a good nights rest. After all, for 50 bucks you can buy an inflatable for anything more..um...athletic? Grin.

I always did find that scene kinda funny. It's Mrs. Robinson going truly wrong. LOL.