Eating well during vacation/on the road???

Options
Jenny_Rose77
Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
Hey ladies,

Do any of you have any good tips/advice for places to go/things to order while on the road? We're traveling a bunch this summer, and my husband is not super-supportive about eating healthy/low-cal. He doesn't have any weight issues, and feels like when we're on vacation we should "live it up." Meanwhile, I am trying not to gain more than 20 pounds (as per doctor's rec) this pregnancy. Ehhhh...not so easy to do.

Would love if you have any particular suggestions. I'll start by sharing that I managed to assemble a healthy meal at Chili's the other day because of a rec I saw here. I ordered two sides of broccoli and one side of black beans. Next time I'd ask if they could bring me a small side of shredded cheddar to put on that. The calorie total was under 300, and I got a good serving of veggies/protein. I should add though that I'm pretty sure both my husband and the waiter thought I was cray-cray. Whatever, man, I'm trying. :-)

Oh, ps, we're going to be in West Palm Beach next week if anyone has any local recs there...

Replies

• FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Fast food - California Tortilla has some healthier options if you leave off the sour cream and guacamole. Wendy's has some decent salads like the taco salad that can really fill you up, or you can get a small chili and pour it over one of their potatoes which I like a lot. Taco Bell has the fresco tacos and Burger King has sweet potato fries and veggie burgers.

Restaurant food - any seafood places you can usually get something blackened or baked instead of fried with plenty of veggies on the side.

Caribbean cuisine is usually pretty good for you so there are worse places you could be heading!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Avoid fried food. Try eating breakfast for dinner (eggs, bacon). Seafood is good. I agree with the above re: the salads and chili. Also, you could get soup and salad at most places.
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You could try packing a few things like fruit or granola type bars so you don't lose your marbles and grab the family size bag of doritos at the gas station.

Subway or pitas for lunch? I always fall back on subway on the road because i am in control over what goes in my sandwich, and I like their breakfast sandwiches.

Other than that I agree with the other ladies, avoid the fried stuff when you can and order a side of veggies instead.

Have fun travelling!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    For snacks you could take granola bars, dried fruit and nuts, pretzels, stuff like that.. As for at restaurants, I would stick to grilled foods, fresh salads with dressing on the side or steamed veggies, seafood is usually a good choice as long as it's not coved in butter and oil. Just do your best, stay active and enjoy your vacation!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I'm like your DH, I like to live it up on vacation, too! I'm going home soon and can't wait to have my mom's molasses baked beans and fish cakes, hand paddled ice cream from my fave spot (french vanilla with pb chocolate fudge!!!:love: ), and check out a fave restaurant or two! Having said that, I am staying with my parents, I'm not eating out for all meals, so the splurge meals aren't all necessarily bad (ie. my fave Indian restaurant). Some are healthy meals that my mom makes!

I agree that you should bring some of your own healthy snacks - apples, nuts, dried fruit, and granola bars are my go to. You could also get the tetra-packs of almond/soy milk that don't need to be refrigerated.

Starbucks has some tasty looking breakfast/lunch items, a good alternative to a burger chain pit-stop. Their nutritional info is all online, you can plan ahead a little that way.

If you end up ordering pasta at a restaurant, skip the cream sauce and go for tomato, no extra parmesan when they come around offering. I like seafood pasta with tomato based sauce, that way I can get some protein in there, too.

Food-wise try to relax a little, you are on vacation! A treat here and there isn't all that bad! :flowerforyou: