Cooking with Wine!

Options
Cooking is always better with wine (during & after, of course!). What are some recipes you enjoy that require wine?

I always add whatever red is open to spaghetti sauce. So far I haven't gone wrong, but I especially like Merlot with tomato sauce.

I also tried this recipe last night from French Women Don't Get Fat.com! Chicken Au Champagne:

"INGREDIENTS

4 chicken breasts (with skin and bone)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Chervil, tarragon, or thyme (optional)
1 shallot, quartered
1 cup Champagne (Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Brut recommended)

Yield: 4 Servings
RECIPE

Place the chicken breasts in a roasting pan, and season them. Pour 1/2 cup of the Champagne over breasts. Make a slit in each breast and insert a piece of shallot.

Place the pan under the broiler, skin-side up, for 3 minutes, until the skin is nicely browned. Turn and broil the other side for 5 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the broiler, baste with the pan juices, and add the remaining 1/2 cup of Champagne. Adjust the oven temperature to 475 degrees and bake the chicken for 30 minutes, basting once or twice.

Serve over brown rice. Sautéed mushrooms add a special touch and go beautifully with Champagne. (In a warm frying pan with a touch of olive oil, add clean, roughly chopped mushrooms, and cook for a few minutes. Add a few drops of lemon juice, freshly chopped sage, seasoning to taste and 1 tablespoon of butter.) Pour the cooking juices from the chicken over the meat and rice. Serve the remainder of the bottle of Champagne (about 6 glasses) with the meal."

I mistakenly used boneless skinless chicken breasts and they were very dry, so DON'T do that, haha. It was still good, and I also enjoyed her recipe for sauteed mushrooms with it. We got a Korbel Brux ($10) which I wasn't thrilled with, so I would probably try to find a good quality wine (although her recommendation was a little steep for my budget at $45). I like Korbel, so maybe I just don't like their Brux. I dunno. I will definitely try this recipe again though. ;)

Replies