Make-up tips anyone?

Options
Can you guys recommend me some make-up tips that will suit my face & my skin tone. I'll be having an upcoming event to attend to this weekend & I have to look presentable since there will be many VIPs present. I've been thru some stores here but all they have are for fair, medium & dark skin. However when I tried their foundation & pressed powders in almond that is suited for medium skinned, it would always end up being pinkish on me & if I switch to one shade lighter, then it will be too light on me. Same goes with eyeliners & especially blush.

There is no Sephora outlet here in the country where I am while Mac is pretty much expensive here so I might save for that one later.

By the way, the profile pic is me.

Replies

• KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Any Ulta stores? They're not as good as Sephora IMO, but, they usually have people there who can help with trying different stuff on.

I'm new to using foundations myself, so I sadly cannot offer any advice, lol. I do like using The Make-Up Chair for resources and tips: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMakeupChair?ob=0

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use a Neutrogena sheer foundation. Because it is sheer, it matches my skin tone while still smoothing out the appearance of my skin.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I use a Neutrogena sheer foundation. Because it is sheer, it matches my skin tone while still smoothing out the appearance of my skin.
    I'm going to try that one, thanks.

I guess I just have to steer clear of some brown shades as I have a weird skin tone, I have a warm, yellow & green undertone but they say my skin is just medium brown although brown is considered a cool blue undertone while my veins are greenish. Those items they recommend for brown skin looks too pinkish or dark for me so I really don't know.
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been using Bare Minerals for the last 4 years and absolutely love it. If there is a store near you, a consultant will go through and find the right match for your coloring.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You don't have a weird skin tone...skin doesn't come in color "weird"...it does look like you have an olive skin tone...so try to find something that goes with olive...I personally love Mary Kay and you can search their website for someone nearby...just call and talk to them and see if you find someone you like...the products are good and reasonably priced, most of the consultants have sample sizes of stuff so you can see how it looks before you buy...plus there is a 30 day moneyback guarantee, no return refused, so if you buy it and then just don't like the color or texture or whatever you can either get your money returned or try a different color, etc...they have like 8 different types of foundation in a wide variety of colors, so it gives you a lot of flexibility in finding something that works for you as an individual...they also have apps on the website to help you make a model of yourself and then try different eye/lip colors so you can try ideas without having to actually put on makeup...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I have Mary Kay foundation that I love, and they will match your skin tone, whatever it is. Choose lipstick colors and tints that are not so dramatic since this is a business meeting. Eye color should also be toned down but nice.

Good luck!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the Sally Hansen makeup by Carmindy... the makeup artist from What Not To Wear. The spray foundation (spray it on a sponge, not directly on your face), the blush, the illuminizing cream, the eyeshadows... love them. They're hard to find sometimes, though. Rite Aid and Walgreens were the only place I've found them, and not even at all locations.
  • Red7Basil
    Options
    You can't tell by my make-up-less profile photo, but I am a make-up addict!

Products that I cannot live without: Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer, Urban Decay 24/7 eye pencil, and MAC Face and Body Foundation.

If you'd like new make-up styles to try check out the YouTube channel "Pixiwoo." It is run by two sisters from the UK that are professional make-up artists and THEY ARE FABULOUS. They have posted over 400 videos comprising many different looks. They also have a blog (pixiwoo.com) but their videos are way better.

Do you live near a MAC store? I thought my skin tone was unmatchable. Everything made me look too pale, too sallow or too orange. (I tried Lancome, Clinique, etc...) MAC matched my skin. I think it is worth the money.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    To comment on the above post... MAC may not be for all skin types. While their eye shadows last for hours and their lipsticks have awesome color payoff, their foundations and powders make me break out. I asked their reps about it the last time I was in, and they said that it's common; you either have the skin type for it, or you don't. Color is great, but I'd give your face a test run with it (i.e. let them test it on you) before you dunk your money into a $25 compact or $30 bottle that your face might hate long-term.

I use Make Up Forever because I like full coverage, and it sits very well on my acne-prone skin. I also like Lancome for club nights because of the coverage and lasting ability, but I don't think it's a great day-time formula... too cakey over the hours, especially in the heat and sun.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a tinted moisturizer, maybe? I really like Tarte's "Smooth Operator" tinted moisturizer...though I definitely wouldn't rely on it for a moisturizer. I moisturize THEN use it. :laugh: I have a very oily and flaky-prone forehead, and the rest of my face is extremely dry and gets red and sometimes annoying acne. But the tinted moisturizer hides all that, and I now don't feel that my face is so gross.