Gyms in Toronto

Options
shaynak112
shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
So I'm doing well with healthy eating but I really need to get back into exercising! I have only ever exercised at my college gym (in Kitchener). I don't know any of the gyms in Toronto! Obviously there is Goodlife ... but I'm wondering if you know of any other good ones! I'm a bit self conscious too ... I'm NOT athletic ... I'm just wanting treadmills and the elliptical.
And also ... monthly memberships ... how much are they?? How much can I expect to spend?

Specifically, if anyone knows of a gym in the Bathurst/Eglinton area :p ... that would be great! :)

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If you're just looking to use cardio machines, then I think Goodlife is pretty good for that. The thing with Goodlife is you can use any of their gyms. They also have women's only gyms (although I'm not sure if there are any near you) that are good. I used to belong to Goodlife, but then I moved and now I go to the JCC at bloor/spadina. I like it there because lately I've been really into their classes and they have a fairly good selection. A friend of mine uses a gym at Lawrence and the Allen. I have no idea how good it is (I think she once said it was very "simple"), but I think it's cheaper than most.

As for monthly memberships, it depends on if you want towel service or if you can get a discount (ie. by being a student or a teacher with TDSB). I think I paid about $60 per month for Goodlife. That was with towel service, but my dad was also a member, so I was able to join as part of a family membership (I think in that case you either need to live at the same address or have the same last name). At the JCC I pay approximately $85 per month, but that includes towels and a student discount. There's also the U of T Athletic Centre at Harbord and Spadina. Someone once told me that they're the cheapest in the city, but I don't know any details. I guess none of this is directly in the Eglinton/Bathurst area... but I think there's a Goodlife location at Eglinton and Yonge.
  • James_Bergin
    James_Bergin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey there Shay :-)
    There are gyms allover Toronto, especially good life and extreme. Good life usually has good reviews but I'm not sure about there prices. Extreme fitness offers a lot of great stuff but they are very expensive, depending in how many of their offering you sign up for you can run into the thousands per year! I also find there staff a got too business like and stand-offish.

If you don't mind hitting the downtown you could go for the YMCA of off Bay St. They have a great facility and their monthly fees are about 60 for standard and 100 for premium per month. Id also recommend checking out the u of t gym membership. The rates are very good for students of the university (like me) and non university affiliates can get memberships too. Not sure how much those would be, but worth checking out.

The physically closest to you that I know of is a good life on or near eglinto and yonge.

Hope this helps somewhat! Good luck :-)
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I go to the Goodlife at Yonge and Eglinton.

Although its not a huge club they have lots of elipticals and treadmills, all the weights you need, and you can find their group fitness schedule here: http://www.goodlifefitness.com/GetSchedule.aspx?schedid=14385
  • shaynak112
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with Goodlife or Extreme Fitness (both are at Yonge and Eglinton). It's about a 30 min walk from my place. I work downtown so I have a bus pass and could technically go anywhere but I'd like to go the gym with my boyfriend and he works from home sooo a gym within walking distance from our apartment would be nice :p. So it seems like those are the only options. It seems like Goodlife will probably be about $60 per month. That seems like soooo much money. For two people, it's $120/mo. How much does a treadmill even cost? Why don't I just buy a treadmill? lol it seems like it's worth it more. I'm not a student anymore so I don't get any of those discounts *sigh*

Is the Goodlife and Yonge and Eglinton busy? Well maintained? Thoughts? I think that's likely where I'm going to end up. :p

Do you guys know of any pools in the area where you could just do lane swimming? I miss swimming so much but I have no clue where to go around here.

:)
  • juicemoogan
    Options
    I would not recommend going to extreme fitness i have heard horror stories about them.

People trying to get out of contracts having to go to court...
    getting roped into ridiculous contracts..

If anyone else can comment on a good aspect of extreme fitness Im not sure.. just what I've heard.
  • shaynak112
    Options
    Goodlife seems better. I get 15% off of a corporate membership but I'm not sure what that includes. Anyone know?
  • Icaw
    Icaw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    At Goodlife you'll be paying between $50 and $60 a month (with your discount). You will almost definitely be forced to sign a 1 year contract. You will, however, have access to all of their locations and some spectacular classes.
  • shaynak112
    Options
    At Goodlife you'll be paying between $50 and $60 a month (with your discount). You will almost definitely be forced to sign a 1 year contract. You will, however, have access to all of their locations and some spectacular classes.

A contract?!?!?!? Oh rats. I am definitely not signing a contract.
    This is kind of depressing. Gyms are so expensive. And I didn't know they had contracts. So ridiculous! :(:(:(
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend going to extreme fitness i have heard horror stories about them.

People trying to get out of contracts having to go to court...
    getting roped into ridiculous contracts..

If anyone else can comment on a good aspect of extreme fitness Im not sure.. just what I've heard.

Extreme’s sales tactics are more aggressive, I compare it to a time-share meeting but I like the challenge . I activated a 30 day free membership and they tried everything to get me to sign up to a contract right then and there, they failed, ha ha! Due to the convenient location of their Wellington gym to my office (a 2 min walk) I will most likely sign up if they have good Christmas-time deals. Their regular rate is $95 a month, corporate is $65 but I signed up for their emails and back in June they had a $399 a year deal ($549 for the location I want) so that's really great for the area. I pay $300 currently for 14 months in Markham at an incredible gym but that $549 would be super cheap in the downtown core.

I however intend on paying in full using a money order, I too have heard horror stories as well and will refuse to provide any banking or credit card information. If they refuse me as a result, that's fine by me, I love Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire workouts more - been doing that since 2007. Joining the Markham gym I did was a deal fluke (first year was $90 through Team Buy) and both years were paid for by my company so I’m not worried about the loss. I do get to spin on weekends and love that especially since I invested in cycle shoes about a month ago (saved $100 buying online vs Mountain Equipment Co-op, woo!)

Regarding Goodlife’s price, you do NOT automatically get access to all gyms, you have to chose, 1 gym membership (usually $20 bi-weekly) or all gyms $25 bi-weekly) – those are the corporate prices, non-corporate (if your company isn’t on some giant list they have) the price is about $5-7 more by-weekly. With Extreme you get access to ALL gyms automatically including 24-Fitness in the US and the Sheraton Hotel pool.
  • mcdomi
    mcdomi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The only gym I can think of that doesn't have a contract is KingWest Fitness in Liberty Village.

I think there are a few others that you can do month to month as well, but they charge a fortune for the privilege.

You could also look for a yoga studio or martial arts centre if any of those would interest you? Or if you have a local community centre they often have drop in exercise classes as well. I know the Harbourfront Community Centre next to me has a wide range of classes, all drop in so no commitment. And very reasonable prices.

I myself am a member of the Toronto Athletic Club in the TD Centre. I work in the area so it's very easy to run over during lunch and get my workout in.
  • livitup85
    livitup85 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hi shaynak112
    I also live in the Bathurst/Eg area however, I go to Goodlife only because I work downtown and have an option of going to any Goodlife I want. This makes it super convenient when you don't always know where you're gonna be and want to squeeze in a workout. That being said, there are a couple "boutique-style" gyms in our area. they are small and fairly pricey I would imagine. One is called TRACK. It's in Forest Hill village.
    What about the gym that's inside Yorkdale mall?
  • ooh_barracuda
    ooh_barracuda Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The one in Yorkdale is a Premier Fitness, I think. I've not heard good things, specifically about pricing and contract issues.
    I go to Goodlife, usually some of the ones downtown. Honestly, the flexibility of choosing whichever location suits that day is really handy for me. You can use it all over Canada, which is great since hotel gyms are awful!
    I also live near Bathurst/Eglinton, and haven't checked out any closer than St. Clair, hope there are some good options.
    Taking a class at a spin or yoga studio could be a really fun option, and something you can't just do at home.
  • MKLC
    MKLC Posts: 13
    Options
    I live at Yonge & Eglinton and after being with Extreme Fitness for over a year I had to get out of there. The location just East of Yonge is TERRIBLE! Their trainers are even worse. If you want to get more insight about Extreme then feel free to shoot me a message. I'm at Goodlife again and actually quite like it. The trainers help you out if they see you aren't doing something right and you can approach them and ask them for some help too..they are all pretty willing. The cost of a membership is worth it. Otherwise there are some great at home workouts on youtube.com on the livestrong channel.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate what others have said - Goodlife is good if you're planning on using other locations too. (You said you work downtown, so this might be a good option for you in case you want to go on your lunch hour one day or something.) Some Goodlife locations also have a pool. (Not sure about the one at Yonge and Eg.)

As far as signing contracts go - most chain gyms will make you sign a one year contract. It's fairly standard. The Athletic Centre at the University of Toronto does not make you sign a contract (I think they have different pricing based on how long you want to be a member). The JCC at Bloor and Spadina is also month to month, but there is an initiation fee because there is no contract (about $50, if I remember correctly).

I guess it just all depends on what you're looking for in a gym (ie. convenience, classes, pool, etc.).
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    There is a pool at the North Toronto Community Centre on Eglinton between Oriole Parkway and Edith. Come to think of it they hve a little gym in there too. I wld go and check out there if I were you. They also have fitness classes and since it is city run they are fairly reasonable. There is also an indoor running track above the gymnasium.
  • luckythirt33n
    luckythirt33n Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try looking for a membership takeover for Goodlife, then it's shorter than a year.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/search/sss?query=goodlife&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    YMCA doesn't have a contract, they have a one time (lifetime) joining fee then you can put your membership on hold whenever for however long (in whole month incriments). I love their West End gym, great equipment, classes, pool etc. Would highly recommend them.
  • callamwong
    callamwong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wouldn't suggest Extreme, worked for both companies before here's the down lo. Goodlife anywhere you go they will tell you the same price. Extreme employees have more freedom regarding the prices they give you. You might be able to get a better rate at Extreme if you're able to talk them down and if it is available at the time. But that is a big "IF". The downside is that you will be paying more upfront for a regular membership. At the time I was there It was very common on a day to day basis that I was talking to customers about overcharging the pre authorized payments, why they can't cancel the membership etc. Both companies have comparable equipment, but why not go to the one who is more honest?
  • juicemoogan
    Options
    I Just checked out the New Ryerson Fitness Centre at Maple Leaf Gardens!

Its quite good, they have much better and more equipment and more space than the goodlife at Y&E I used to go to, and the memberships are very reasonable.

http://www.rec.ryersonrams.ca/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=22310&ATCLID=204919872

To check it out a day pass is less than $10.00 - (its $15 at goodlife)
  • gloriousmud
    gloriousmud Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I have to say, I am pretty anti-gym, in general I think they are a waste of money to be honest, especially now that it is getting warmer out and we can be running (and biking and rollerblading and hiking etc etc) outside, for free!

I got a TeamBuy deal for Extreme Fitness that cost me $20 for 2 months + 3 sessions with a personal trainer. Though I really enjoyed the group classes at the gym, there is no way I would pay more than 10$ a month to go, and I believe their rates are usually over $200/month.

If you're like me and enjoy trying different classes and types of exercise, I would suggest checking out TeamBuy, DealFind, Groupon, LivingSocial, and similar sites for fitness deals. You can find everything from Yoga to Zumba for super cheap! I just finished 8 weeks of Capoeira classes for $12.

These sites also have deals for short-term gym memberships (like the Extreme Fitness one I got) so you can try out gyms before you commit to any contracts.

I really hope this info helped!

<3