Need friends that understand

Hi! I was diagnosed with pcos in January after I gained 30 pounds and I was soo tired all the time. I went to the doctor expecting my testosterone to be low. It was actually high and they put me on metformin 850 mg twice a day. My doctor also recommended that I follow the south beach diet. It has been a constant battle ever since. I do very well for about a month and them vacation or something happens and I can gain 7-10 pounds in two days. This actually just happened to me. I ate "normal" not a lot Judy didn't watch what I ate for 2 days and gained 10 pound' it didn't fall off the next day. It took me a month to lose it and two days to gain it back. I to my doctor and he said its because of insulin resistance. This can discourage me sometimes because it's hard to be perfect on my eating all the time, but it looks like I'm going to have to if I want to lose. I go back to the doctor in October for blood work. He to me that I have to lose weight before. I'm not huge .. I'm only 5'1 but weight 149 right now. I used to weight around 115. I'm hoping to meet others that understand this constant battle. Since starting the metformin, I have noticed that I have more energy so think its helping. I would love to get to know more people and hear your stories.

Stefani

Replies

• I apologize for my typos. I'm on my phone ;)
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    I know what you are going through with the high testosterone. I am 5'4" and my heaviest was 200lbs. I never looked like it b/c I have a lot of muscle. But I was burning 1000+ cal a day and only eating 1300 cal and I wasn't seeing any weight loss. In fact i was continually gaining weight. I finally discovered the low carb/low GI (glycemic index) diet and I have lost 10 lbs in a month. The low glycemic diet has helped me stay on track really well and teaches you about healthy eating in general. When I started on the metformin I noticed a big increase in energy and a major decrease in carb cravings! (I'm on 1500mg/day)

I have had symptoms since I was 8-9 years old and I didn't get diagnosed until 5 years ago. Even after I was diagnosed they just put me on birth control and sent me on my way. Not much help when you can't understand why the scale just keeps going up! I just now found out about how carbs affect the endocrine system so I am just now starting the journey to feeling healthy for the first time in my life despite the fact that I have had healthy habits my whole life!