Anxiety = Neck Pain

Options
PlunderBunneh
PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
I went to the doctor today for persistent neck pain that causes severe headaches. Last week, during a particularly rough day anxiety-wise, I promised myself that at the upcoming appointment I would mention the issues that I'm having. In the past, I haven't spoken to a doctor about said issues; it's so easy to blow them off on the good days.
Doc told me the neck issues are because of the anxiety, (my neck and shoulders are rock hard. It's pretty obvious where I hold my stress) and prescribed 5 mg buspar for daily dosing, with possibilities of upping if it's not enough.
I'm hoping this means no more Mr. TwitchyEye, but not no more PlunderBunneh Mode. I've been on SSRI drugs in the past, and haven't had much luck with avoiding zombie-personality.
*shrug*
What crazy things does your anxiety do to your body? And do you think it's possible that all this wicked neck pain is going to go away with just some meditation and buspar? Anybody had luck with buspar?

Replies

• daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    im on clonazepam but I did have a lot of neck and shoulder pain. heres what anxiety did to me:

-random tingling and numbness
    -lower back stiffness
    -random sores and body aches in places ive never felt before
    -constantly lightheaded and/or nauseous
    -burning sensations in arms and legs
    -when laying down I sometimes felt my body was rocking gently back and forth
    -always felt I was on the verge of a panic attack
    -felt like there was a tight rubberband around my skull

thanks to meds those are pretty much gone...yet I still suffer the depersonalization--feeling like im in a dream I cant wake up from and emotionally numb.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would suggest also going to a chiropractor. Some members of my family go regularly, (I go every once in awhile) and I always feel good after I go.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I would suggest also going to a chiropractor. Some members of my family go regularly, (I go every once in awhile) and I always feel good after I go.

Doc referred me to the physical therapy department as well. I think the plan is to start with them and they will send me off to learn stretches, get massaged, get zapped, or get cracked as they see needed. I'm really hoping for chiropractor visits.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've had back and neck problems after bad panic attacks. I had a particularly bad panic attack after my daughter had gotten kicked out of preschool (long story lol) and the next day it felt like I had been in a car accident. I went to see one of my chiropractor friends for a massage and adjustment and it helped. Counseling has really helped me too to learn other tricks to help calm myself during a panic attack so it doesn't get that bad (although sometimes it just can't be helped).
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I just was put on Buspar, after years of a love/hate relationship with Xanax. It works but I was taking it sooo much!

Klonipin made me a zombie.

Any thoughts on the Buspar?
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I used to get alot of jaw pain during school.
    I assume it is caused by anxiety, just feels like alot of tension buildup. I got a nightgaurd made from my dentist and it works well.