Zombie Mall Costume

Options
mruntidy
mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
Some you may remember i got this for my 30th back in April and i said i was putting a costume together to do it in back in this thread;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/570524-best-bday-present-evar

Well, ive been quietlycollecting the various parts to it since then and my Umbrella Corporation Shirt arrived this morning and i had to try it on n take a picture :)

IMG_00000094.jpg

Then i thought hell i may as well take a picture of it all before modding;

IMG_00000095.jpg

So far i have the t shirt, in the movie it's just black but i figure it would be branded so got a screen printed one
The trousers are discontinued so i got these from the states in a double xl so they need tailoring but they are the movie trousers
The assault vest needs modding, again screen accurate Viper vest, i bought the clips and web strapping to replace as per the movie.
Got the correct UBC patches, a lot of places sell rounded or pipe edged patches but the movie used square edge ones and these were easy to find with a little looking
Name patch was the hardest so far as the lettering is quite chunky on Olivera's vest, this again had to be square edge and 1inch by 5inch so this is as close as i could get
Figure a cap was needed so got a Tru-Spec tac tiger patrol cap to match the trousers

Now the fun part, i thought about weapons which are shown, Olivera uses dual Deagles and a micro gallil rifle, i wanted to be different and reflect my paintballing style of mid player. I don't think i could carry off double pistols im not John Woo cool. So gone with a single Socom, not a perfect repro but close. My views on airsoft guns are mixed as the kids in the UK get hold of them and shoot cats, that's something i hate so i am deactivating it before anything else.

51603670ks5.jpg

An MP5K as main weapon and i am really looking forward to modding these this weekend :happy:

I'll keep you updated if you're interested guys :)

Replies

• ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    That is simply awesome Clark! You're going to not only look the part, but feel badass while doing it! Any luck with the hidden cams?
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Well, there are ones in glasses so may, MAY think about a pair of those under my gogs but not sure as yet.....
  • FadedFreckles
    FadedFreckles Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You are too cute!
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I am jealous and impressed, mostly jealous
  • jpratt44
    jpratt44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are no words for how completely awesome this is.
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Ok so my first update on my costume this weekend, I spent parts of it working on my equipment in between tidying up and things. I bought this from the net which although it looks pretty good (boys back me up) it isn't an accurate representation of the MP5K, so, without going into too much detail why unless anyone is interested, I started my modifications.

Costume001-1.jpg

Firstly it's a 1:1 scale hollow plastic model so is very fragile and weighs next to nothing, the MP5K as used in Resident Evil and Resident Evil Apocolypse by the UBCS troops weighs 2kg so I decided to use filler inside to bolster the model and give it the right weighting. The insides of this toy vibrate and make sounds so there were some wires etc that I simply left in

Costume005.jpg
    Costume006.jpg

Once this was done I could start getting creative, the silencer that comes with it pushes on to the front of the toy but the muzzle isn't right for the real one so I cut this off first, coming back to it later. I knew I wanted it to have three rails, one for a maglite one for a laser sight and one for a holographic sight but I wasn't paying £20 a rail for something that I am really only going to use once so I thought I would prefabricate them out of aluminium. I used a Dremel tool and cut three, 6 inch pieces of 20mm wide aluminium and copied a popular design to make it look meaner than a piece of aluminium by cutting grooves and holes along the edges and removing the four corners to give it character.

Costume010.jpg
    Costume011.jpg

I cut a couple of plastic 15mm pipe clips down to size so the maglite was snug, I didn't want to use fastened clips as I thought about my character and I would want to be able to remove the torch easily if I needed to

Costume013.jpg

Using a blank first I had a mess around with the torch fitting and then added the rail mount to the top for the holographic, you can see they are raw with only the holes for fixing currently drilled through;

Costume014.jpg
    Costume018.jpg
    Costume019.jpg

Once I knew they fit and the rails worked I masked the aluminium up so as no to scratch it, marked it out and drilled my holes, then backed the edges off so they were not sharp and took the corners off. I then spray painted them matt black - two coats, and a single coat of satin varnish spray to stop them getting too knocked about. I sprayed the plastic pipe clips for the maglite too;

Costume021.jpg
    Costume022.jpg
    Costume030.jpg

While I was waiting for all that to dry I went back to the body that had hardened somewhat now with the filler inside, the muzzle was next but I was scratching my head a bit as to how I was going to firstly plug the hole I had cut in the front of the toy and secondly what I could use to make it look like the movie prop. A couple of google searched later and I noticed the front had a hex like shape, I assume for attachments like the siliencer. I have a quick rummage and found the perfect item, a 9mm socket wrench so I carried out the necessary cleaning on the toy and sealed it in;

Costume023.jpg
    Costume024.jpg
    Costume025.jpg
    Costume026.jpg
    Costume027.jpg
    Costume028.jpg

After that I went back to my reference picture and filled all the screw fixtures that are not present on the prop so it looks cleaner ready to be sanded back when it is dry and then spray coated;

Costume031.jpg

So now I have to wait I think i'll go watch Dawn of the Dead :laugh:
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    DBLT

THATS SO FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    John says he's impressed :tongue:
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    This is awesome *and* why you're nerdy today. Can't wait to see the finished product!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    way cool!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    DBLT

THATS SO FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seconded!
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Quick update, my Umbrella Corporation dog tags arrived today :happy:

a4099ad2.jpg

Going to get silencers for them and a blank one stamped with something as a keepsake for the Zombie event too :smile:
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    Quick update, my Umbrella Corporation dog tags arrived today :happy:

a4099ad2.jpg

Going to get silencers for them and a blank one stamped with something as a keepsake for the Zombie event too :smile:

DAMN that alone is FREAKN SICK!

Thats so awesome dude. Next you will need Umbrella bullets.
  • kemartin2009
    kemartin2009 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Incredible. Also, I want more pictures as the costume comes together!
  • animefiend7
    animefiend7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hehehe...You...me...and my comrades would get along nicely. :3 Look at my pic to see half my outfit in use... >:3
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Hehehe...You...me...and my comrades would get along nicely. :3 Look at my pic to see half my outfit in use... >:3

Hahah that's awesome I only just noticed that! I had been looking for an Umbrella forum or something long those lines to post in too - finishing off my MP5K and starting on my Viper assault vest tomorrow when I get back from Batman :happy:
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Ok so i decided to take a break and wait for the rest of the parts to come for my main weapon prop and turn my focus to the assault vest. This consists of a modified SA Assault Vest made by Viper;

IMG_00000102.jpg

Found some good reference websites to go off and will post up my complete reference list as well at some point;

http://www.screenused.com/index.cfm?sectionID=item-detail&subsectionID=index.cfm&item_id=2828
    http://imageshack.us/f/103/omiktlxg4.jpg/
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/lostncybr/Resident Evil 2/rea1421.jpg

So i got to work with the help of my wife who removed the hydration pack on the back and two large pouches either side;

85b66d47.jpg
    31ea82f2.jpg
    3c690979.jpg
    764a8e1d.jpg

Then with the patches I sourced which have to be square edged not round to be true to the movie, the large one being 5x5 inch and the small 2.5x2.5 along with the name patch for the back which was as close as I could find to matching the costume but not exact, I decided to sew them on myself. I was going to get someone else to do this whole project but thought i may as well try...

181b8aef.jpg
    c8fcc746.jpg
    3e0eb4cc.jpg
    4cb9d71d.jpg

I think it's a good result, and seeing as my wife bought my Zombie Day as my present it was only fair to get her maiden name for the back of my vest too. Lastly for this part of the costume i just need to replace the two buckles on the bottom with three large buckles but my fingers are killing me after all that tough stitching so I think that is tomorrows task :wink:
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Nah that's mad, when I get back to my old fitness I'm going as alice, or lister, I will have to make his jacket myself though....
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Just found the perfect piece of steel wire to finish off a part of my costume - I broke a colleagues chair to get to it, but it's one thing off the list :happy:
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    Excellent! Where is the steel wire going?