Authors with Prodigious Imagination?

Options
Captain_Tightpants
Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
I just finished up Iron Council - the third in China Mieville's Bas Lag saga. It made me realize that I'm a huge fan of stories with prodigious imagination. Hard sci-fi and high fantasy is all good and well, but if you really want to hook me, you need to delight me with crazy ideas.

Looking back, I think that's why Clive Barker, Ray Bradbury and Neil Gaiman have been long time faves.

So anyways, having realized this, now I'm on the hunt - can any of you recommend me novels with massive imagination?

(Incidentally, if any of you haven't read Mieville's The Scar run to the nearest bookstore tonight!)

:drinker:

Replies

• Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman, (agreed) :) Terry Pratchett, Joe R. Lansdale, Philip K. ****, Kurt Vonnegut, John Wyndham. Harlan Ellison :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    Hmmm John Wyndham... now there's one I haven't read! *hugs Allie*

How could I forget Pratchett? :noway:
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    oh for fracks' sake. I couldn't Write Philip K D1ck? :/

Roger Zelazny too
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Sci Fi...
    Dan Simmons, his Hyperion quadrilogy was astoundingly creative. Like, "holy SH**" creative
    Also Neal Stephenson, I'm nominating him specifically for his novel Anathem
    If you like incredibly detailed, bizarre sci-fi/fantasy you might enjoy the Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, Jaqueline Carey, Jeanette Winterson wrote a sci if novel called Stone Gods which I loved (but I adore her anyway!), Alistair Reynolds. Loved Zelaznys Amber Chronicles! Oh Jack Vance - Lyonese.
    Comic book? Saga which is out monthly at the moment (Brian K Vaughn) is amazing! None scifi/fantasy but Strangers in Paradise and Love and Rockets are amazing!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    Ah Dan Simmons is an odd one to me. I've only read his horror stuff, not the sci fi, and while I loved the Summer of Night/Winter Haunting series I could not at all get into Carrion Comfort. I'll have to give Hyperion a try!

It's funny you should mention Neal Stephenson because I had never heard of him until a friend passingly mentioned "Snow Crash" the other day. Thanks SL! :heart:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Pookylou dives in with a ton of names I haven't read! :flowerforyou:
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, Jaqueline Carey, Jeanette Winterson wrote a sci if novel called Stone Gods which I loved (but I adore her anyway!), Alistair Reynolds. Loved Zelaznys Amber Chronicles! Oh Jack Vance - Lyonese.
    Comic book? Saga which is out monthly at the moment (Brian K Vaughn) is amazing! None scifi/fantasy but Strangers in Paradise and Love and Rockets are amazing!

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to add, but, I'm glad you mentioned Brian K Vaughan! And he has done some scifi/fantasy things... wrote season eight of Buffy! :D I've heard great things about Strangers in Paradise but haven't picked it up yet. It's back on the list. Thanks!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Ah Dan Simmons is an odd one to me. I've only read his horror stuff, not the sci fi, and while I loved the Summer of Night/Winter Haunting series I could not at all get into Carrion Comfort. I'll have to give Hyperion a try!

It's funny you should mention Neal Stephenson because I had never heard of him until a friend passingly mentioned "Snow Crash" the other day. Thanks SL! :heart:

I've heard his horror stuff isn't as good, but I've read a LOT of sci-fi, and Hyperion is as close to perfection as I'm willing to grant. It's divided into sections, and if you don't s* yourself with amazement after part one, don't bother finishing the book. And then unfriend me. :)
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Ed Greenwood....the entire D&D Forgotten realms is basically his creation form the the 1960's....

Also...I know it sounds cliche, but Stephen King is staring to tie all his novels together through the Dark Tower series....
  • Pookylou
    Options
    Just looking through my book shelves! Kids books ok? Phillip Pullman, His Dark Materials, Garth Nix The Old Kingdom Trillogy, Marcus Sedgwick - The Foreshadowing and Blood Red Snow White for a start.
    Additional comic books - anything by Brian Wood (Local and Demo in particular).
    Vaughn did Ex Machina which was also awesome!
    Yes I have an epic number of bookshelves.....

Edit - I am an ex bookseller!
  • Pookylou
    Options

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to add, but, I'm glad you mentioned Brian K Vaughan! And he has done some scifi/fantasy things... wrote season eight of Buffy! :D I've heard great things about Strangers in Paradise but haven't picked it up yet. It's back on the list. Thanks!

I treated myself to the boxed limited edition of SiP it is beautiful. It really is as good as they say, oh and his is writing a novel about the characters too!! Echo was great, not picked up Rachel Rising yet but sure it'll be awesome.
  • michellematteson
    Options
    Joe Hill's "Horns" and "Heart-Shaped Box" are good. The Joe Ledger novels by Jonathan Maberry are good, more sci-fi/thriller really. Another vote for the Dark Tower series from Stephen King.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    Oh yeah kids books are fine too. In fact I love that all the sickest authors out there have written for kids. Meiville goes from having his flesh elementals make human beings "erupt with wet burps to leave flesh rags blowing in the wind" to his kids book Un Lun Dun. Gaiman goes from having his protagonist facing death by hammer for the entirety of American Gods to the sweetness of Stardust. Then of course you've got Barker's Thief of Always and King's Eyes of the Dragon.

I think there may be a link between a twisted imagination and a desire to write for children... o_O
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    @Michelle, I do love Joe Hill. I gotta admit I only read him to see if he could measure up to his dad. :smile:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

^^^^ This right here is why we are friends lol. I was totally gonna recomend RJ and BS ..... Still way to long til the next book comes out though sigh
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    . Another vote for the Dark Tower series from Stephen King.

No The DTS made me throw the last book into a wall and curse SK like crazy. :grumble: And I never throw books lol:blushing:
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    OMG Add me if you love Clive Barker, I'm a ridiculously huge fan :)

I recommend:

early Robert R. McCammon (stuff like Swan Song)
    Gordon Dahlquist (The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters and follow up, The Dark Volume)
    Mark Danielewski (House of Leaves... can you say mind f^ck?)

I am not a huge King fan, but I adored Needful Things
  • Pookylou
    Options

^^^^ This right here is why we are friends lol. I was totally gonna recomend RJ and BS ..... Still way to long til the next book comes out though sigh

I follow Sanderson on Twitter the temptation to scream HURRRRRRY UUUUUUUP at him is mighty high :) Only came to his stuff via RJ, loved the Mistborn series and Way if Kings was aces!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    FR sent Quasita!

House of Leaves is officially the only book that ever scared me. It scared me more than just when I was reading it too... like I would sit at work waiting to get home and read it, totally consumed by the Navidson Record, and questioning my own sanity just like Johnny Truant. That wasn't a book, it was a month long experience.

And just for the hell of it, here's a pic of Clive pimping a book I wrote for. :-)
    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp176/percapitasmile/memisfitsdanandclivebarker-1.jpg