How Were You Diagnosed?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also... I didn't have bloodwork done for PCOS diagnosis. I had a catscan which revealed multiple ovarian cysts and a pelvic exam. What exactly were they looking for? I should think the only thing that would turn up in blood result in increased androgen.
  • whatwouldmulderdo
    whatwouldmulderdo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My androgen levels were fine, my thyroid was fine, the glucose test was fine, my cholesterol was fine. I am ok with not having any problems except the cysts. I am just used to all the people I know with PCOS having a problem with one of those and having to be on medication like metformin. I am ok with not having to take medicine, I was just wondering if I could have PCOS without having any of the other problems?
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi whatwouldmulderdo,

Basically, yes, it's possible, but I'm not suggesting that you do. Remember that PCOS is a syndrome with a varied collection of symptoms (many ovarian cysts, acne, hirsutism, weight gain, irregular periods, hair thinning, skin tags, acanthosis nigricans, infertility, etc). You don't need to have all (or even many) of them to have PCOS, and some women who have ovarian cysts don't actually have PCOS. In general, women with PCOS have varying degrees of different symptoms in different combinations, although, "The clinical severity of PCOS symptoms appears to be largely determined by factors such as obesity" (Wikipedia for PCOS under "Cause"). So if you're not very overweight, you may not show too many symptoms. If you have lots of ovarian cysts though, and your doctor thinks you have PCOS, it's probable that you do have it.

Either way, keeping yourself healthy and fit is the best thing you can do for yourself whether you have PCOS or not, and if you do then it will help to prevent the onset of hormonal disturbances and insulin resistance that cause a lot of the symptoms that we all hate so much.

I'm also not a doctor.

As for myself, since you asked:

At 28 in 2008 I began experiencing debilitating PMS/PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) which cost me both a job and a relationship. I was working as a private nanny at the time and there was no way I could take a sick day, and my ex was probably looking for someone who was a little more "stable" at the time; he told me to move out after I lost my job. At rock bottom and unemployed with nowhere else to go, I had to move back in with my parents, who made me go and see the family doctor. She ran some bloodwork to check on my hormone levels, and it weirdly turned out that my free androgen levels were higher than they should be. Then she looked at my face more closely and saw the light acne scars and facial hair issues that I've been fighting with since my teenage years. She ordered an ultrasound and lo and behold I had the cysts. (Pieces began falling into place as I started to remember things like hair thinning, missed periods when I gained some weight, etc.)

She put me on a low-dose birth control which helped me smooth things out considerably, but I still struggle with acne and the facial hair, and a few (10-20) extra pounds. I find benzoyl peroxide works well enough for the acne when it comes up, and I just tweeze/wax/bleach/depilate as necessary. I'm reluctant to go on spiro or metformin if I don't have to; I'm working on my diet and fitness to keep the weight in check which in turn helps with the hormones and by extension my appearance.

In happier news, I'm married now and feeling a lot better. Just working on losing that bit of weight!