Thoughts on games you've recently played

Options
yesiamaduck
yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
Played a game recently? Why not give your opinions about it here?

Basically I think it'll be cool to have a dumping ground for opinions, because often I play a game and want to share an opinion on it but it's a bit too old hat to start a whole new thread about it & what not.

Here are mine

Botanicular (PC) [Point N Click Adventure]-> Incredibly fun, creative and charming indie point and click adventure game with stunning art design and delightful humour. Suitable for people of all ages, Botanicular is mostly an easy game with a few challenging puzzled dotted around towards the end. Really recommend this game, totally worth the single play-through just to see what this world has to offer. 8/10

The Binding Of Isaac (PC) [Dungeon Crawler] - Got this for 99p during the Steam Sales. On the surface this is your typical newgrounds gross out game but beneath all of this lies a surprisingly deep dungeon crawler with randomly generated dungeons, decent variety of enemies and very simple yet strategic gameplay which is incredibly addictive. I guess on many levels it can be compared to traditional Zelda in games terms of core mechanics. It's a very tricky game with the diffcutly varying drastically on each play-through depending on how generous the game is with pick ups per play-through, the game is probably no longer then an hour or two but you'll play it many more times. 8/10

Replies

• Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    LIMBO (PC) [side-scroller] -- Bought it for super cheap on STEAM network. Pretty interesting scenarios, LOVED the design of the game, there are some interesting moments in it. For me, it got boring....I guess I'm just stuck in my ways as far as sticking to one game at the moment. Pretty cool, though. 6.5/10
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)- A JPRG that plays like an action RPG. A story about two beings who fight to a stale mate. Humans inhabit one being (which are the size of planets BTW), and robot beings called Mechon inhabit the other. They aer at war. I am only halfway, but so far I have logged in 56 hours on it. Damn side quests.

Kid Icarus (3DS)- A on rails shooter/ action game with awesome graphics, for a handheld, and spectacular sound strack. The only thing is, get ready to get a crapload of hand cramps.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    dear esther - i really wish i read more about it before i bought it.. it was a story, not a game.. you walked around the world and got bits of a story. that's all. the graphics were beautiful though.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    the tiny bang story - a really cute puzzle game. you search for certain items in 4 or so scenes, then have to do puzzles. sort of like professor layton, but no story really.
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Borderlands GOTY - OK on your own, bit unbalanced at some points depending on class. GREAT played with your girlfriend or something.

Lego Star wars 3 Clone wars - just...no...
  • llgeisz
    llgeisz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Still loving the Mass Effect series the co-op in ME3 is great fun...
  • Gilbrod
    Options
    Silico- is this your first playthrough on the Planet of Pandora? If it is, WTH you been? I loved the single player experience. Nothing more satisying than killing Crawmax though.
  • yesiamaduck
    Options
    Borderlands GOTY - OK on your own, bit unbalanced at some points depending on class. GREAT played with your girlfriend or something.

Yeah I got for the Xbox some years ago but quickly sold it as I had no one else that played it. Me & my friend got GOTY editon when it went on sale on steam and it's infinitely better in multiplayer. Borderlands 2 looks like it has the potential to be one of my favourite games ever, it looks stunning and seems to have built on Borderlands very strong foundations in every single way.
  • Gilbrod
    Options

Yeah I got for the Xbox some years ago but quickly sold it as I had no one else that played it. Me & my friend got GOTY editon when it went on sale on steam and it's infinitely better in multiplayer. Borderlands 2 looks like it has the potential to be one of my favourite games ever, it looks stunning and seems to have built on Borderlands very strong foundations in every single way.

Have you seen the pre-orders for the Ultimate Loot Chest Edition? Since they're sold out, they're going on eBay for like $400 and up! That is insane. I only got the $100 Collectprs edition without the loot chest.
  • yesiamaduck
    Options

Have you seen the pre-orders for the Ultimate Loot Chest Edition? Since they're sold out, they're going on eBay for like $400 and up! That is insane. I only got the $100 Collectprs edition without the loot chest.

I have ZERO interest in every collectors edition that has ever come out! They also depreciate in value at an alarming rate, which to me at least, destroys the point of collectors editions! Just going to preorder on Steam so you get all the 'bonus' content
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)- A JPRG that plays like an action RPG. A story about two beings who fight to a stale mate. Humans inhabit one being (which are the size of planets BTW), and robot beings called Mechon inhabit the other. They aer at war. I am only halfway, but so far I have logged in 56 hours on it. Damn side quests.
    Also playing this. The side quests are AWFUL I hate them, they just distract from the main game. I feel like I have to do them and I don't enjoy them at all, so I spend all my time running around irritated instead of enjoying the story. Reminds me of an MMO in that regard. But everything else is great! I love the story, the world is beautiful, and the battle system is engaging. Really cool concept, refreshing.

I'm also playing Radiant Historia on the DS which I'm enjoying even more because it feels like I'm back in the early 1990s playing awesome SNES rpgs again. The graphics and art are gorgeous. It also has an engaging battle system, makes you have to think about what you're doing. There are two separate time lines and you hop around time to change things to progress the story depending on your actions. It also has side quests that you can do, but are actually enjoyable and you feel like you're making a difference. Highly recommend it if you're a fan of old-school jRPGs.
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Silico- is this your first playthrough on the Planet of Pandora? If it is, WTH you been? I loved the single player experience. Nothing more satisying than killing Crawmax though.

I know I know! the second one is out soon so I am way behind. To be honest I didn't like the look of it when it was released and I think I was into some other game at the time. So I left it until the GOTY came out and was nice an cheap. So glad I did, after getting up a few levels I find it really enjoyable, single player or co-op.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Just Dance 3 (Wii) - Obviously a dance game, played by holding the wii-mote in your right hand (for most songs). The game play is very straight-forward, even if (like me) you're coming from a history of dancing games with pads. The freedom that this type of game gives is amazing. The moves are pretty doable for about 75% of the songs. BUT there are a handful of songs out there that are very...twitchy?...when it comes to scoring. The moves on the screen seem easy, but the game's scoring sensitivity seems way off. (As in, I can dance a new song once through and get 4 stars, but dance one of equal difficulty three times to the point where I have the moves memorized and still only achieve 2 stars.) The music is pretty variable, everything from Boogieland disco to Japanese Power Rangers. I love it for cardio and am seriously considering buying Just Dance 4 (but mostly because it has Rick Astley's famous song on it...) [8.5/10]

Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii) - Much more expansive than its predecessor (Endless Ocean), this game has beautiful graphics and smooth, relaxing gameplay (except for the sharks). There are multiple locations around the world that you can dive in, and the story is pretty compelling. There are quite a few side quests (treasure hunting, coin collecting, diving tours, dolphin shows, etc.) but you can do them at a time of your choosing; they don't affect the main story if you want to go ahead and complete that first. This game is pretty kid-friendly, with the possible exception of the first few times you dive near sharks and dive in the deep abyss. The "save the ocean" message does get a little trite after awhile, but there's so much to do in the game that you overlook it. And it sounds weird, but I learned a lot from this game, and now I am quite a pain to take to an aquarium. You can also hook up WiiSpeak and dive with a friend who has the game, which I have done with a couple of players. It's nice to have a real person to talk to when you're down in the ocean depths trying to find the giant squid without him finding you first. I really recommend this game if you want something relaxing, a bit educational for the kids, and a good story line. [9.5/10]
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3) -- Adventure RPG. The graphics are gorgeous. The only problem I have graphically is that the main character over-runs a bit, and that annoys me. But I've gotten used to it as the game progresses. The control system is pretty easy to learn, but as far as I can tell there's no way to create a custom control set-up, which might bother some players. The story is engaging, the music is pretty great, the voice acting is very good.

I'm too tired to think straight right now, so I don't know what else I wanted to say. But the upshot is, this is a great game and you should pick it up. :)
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Devil May Cry 4(ps3)- Its 4 years old but i feel like im playing on a PS1 again....graphics have really evolved over the years, also its extremely easy (as most Capcom games are)

Max Payne 3 (ps3)-Death to cutscenes...am i playing a game or Nick Jr movie
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Also playing this. The side quests are AWFUL I hate them, they just distract from the main game. I feel like I have to do them and I don't enjoy them at all, so I spend all my time running around irritated instead of enjoying the story. Reminds me of an MMO in that regard. But everything else is great! I love the story, the world is beautiful, and the battle system is engaging. Really cool concept, refreshing.

I'm also playing Radiant Historia on the DS which I'm enjoying even more because it feels like I'm back in the early 1990s playing awesome SNES rpgs again. The graphics and art are gorgeous. It also has an engaging battle system, makes you have to think about what you're doing. There are two separate time lines and you hop around time to change things to progress the story depending on your actions. It also has side quests that you can do, but are actually enjoyable and you feel like you're making a difference. Highly recommend it if you're a fan of old-school jRPGs.

I was truly thinking about getting Radiant Historia for a while, the way you described it, is almost like Chrono Trigger with the whole changing events in time, now I got to find more time to feed my RPG addictions!

but I am currently playing Record of Agarest War 2, not really much I can say about it, other than it is pretty basic when it comes to gameplay until you get into the whole combo mechanics in combat, the story is average but this game has a lot of "fan service" if you are into that heh.

also, playing Maple Story, all in all, it's a pretty fun side scrolling MMO, but I am only playing it because my friends and cousins are playing it, if I didn't have them to play with, I would have gotten pretty bored with it.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    World of Tanks

F2P tank brawling goodness. Have played over 500 battles in the last week. It was so good I paid for a premium account. And I NEVER do that with f2p games.

It gets even better when you're with a clan on teamspeak and get into a platoon game. Working together just makes it so much more enjoyable.
  • Gilbrod
    Options
    I have ZERO interest in every collectors edition that has ever come out! They also depreciate in value at an alarming rate, which to me at least, destroys the point of collectors editions! Just going to preorder on Steam so you get all the 'bonus' content

Yeah, I find it insane. Those are worth something if they are untouched. But you need to open it to get your game. If I wasn't the impatient kind, I would wait for the GOTY editions. I remember scoring Dragon Age 1 for 20 bucks and bought allthe downloadable content, only to see the GOTY edition come out for way less than what I spent on the downloadable stuff.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    . . .

I was truly thinking about getting Radiant Historia for a while, the way you described it, is almost like Chrono Trigger with the whole changing events in time, now I got to find more time to feed my RPG addictions!

. . .

It does have a Chrono Trigger (and FF6) feel to it, though I wouldn't say the characters are quite as lovable and it's focused more around war. In like, the main characters are a bit bland personality-wise? But I'm only 15 hrs in so far.. and very much enjoying it! I'm playing it and Xenoblade at the same time and have to fight between them because they're both very good. It helps that they're on very different systems at least!
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Path of Exile
    "Free to Play Diablo (2ish)"

Currently in closed beta but still very fun and quite polished. It'll be free, no need to purchase the game even. Supported by microtransactions, however they will be for cosmetic items / non-combat pets not for anything that will give you an advantage or add power to your character.

If you liked Diablo 2 you'd like this. Having more fun in it than D3 atm.

To get in the closed beta you can support them for a minimum of $10. They did this as there were quite a lot of people asking to pay to join beta. This gets you $10 credit to spend in the micro store.

Game is well worth $10 even in its current state.