First Date in 7 years...

kit_katty
kit_katty Posts: 992 Member
So I had my first date in 7 years (was in a relationship for 5). It went well, a little awkward, but good conversation, just a coffee at lunch. But we both headed back to our respective offices, and as we said good bye it was really awkward, I shook his hand and he said "keep in touch".

Not sure if I put him off, or made him feel like it didn't go that well or whatever by shaking his hand, but so close to my office, at lunch... more just felt really awkward. This was yesterday at lunch, and it's not quite lunch again.

Thoughts on what I should do? Text, wait for him, etc?

Replies

• What do you want to do? How do you feel the date went? Do you want to see him again?
  • kit_katty
    Well, I would like to go on another date. I thought it went well, and while he's not quite the personality I'm looking for, that could be because he's nervous and he has many other good qualities. So yes I'd like to see him again. But I do hate making the first move, but if he honestly thought I wasn't interested, he might not contact me again... :S
  • How did you communicate prior to the date? How long?

Perhaps you could send him a text saying "Thank you for lunch. I had a nice time." or "I enjoyed meeting you." Just something to let him know you're interested, and you're still allowing him to actually make the first move. He has to have something to go on.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    If it was me, I would wait for him to call/text.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Date should have never happened in that form. Who had the idea of a lunch date?

Lunch dates are so unromantic, and you need a element of romance in the early date.

There was no kiss at the end of the first date, which is interpreted by many men as a sign of non interest.

If you want him, call or even text him, just be completely honest and ask for what you want (ask him to see him again) and see where things go. Guys like it when a woman takes initiative and takes some element of mystery out of it.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    How did you communicate prior to the date? How long?

Perhaps you could send him a text saying "Thank you for lunch. I had a nice time." or "I enjoyed meeting you." Just something to let him know you're interested, and you're still allowing him to actually make the first move. He has to have something to go on.

I agree with this.....
  • Date should have never happened in that form. Who had the idea of a lunch date?

Lunch dates are so unromantic, and you need a element of romance in the early date.

There was no kiss at the end of the first date, which is interpreted by many men as a sign of non interest.

If you want him, call or even text him, just be completely honest and ask for what you want (ask him to see him again) and see where things go. Guys like it when a woman takes initiative and takes some element of mystery out of it.

I disagree. I've had some pretty romantic lunch dates, even first ones. And they ended with a kiss in a parking lot... yep, I'm okay with PDA.
  • DMZ_1
    Date should have never happened in that form. Who had the idea of a lunch date?

I disagree. I've had some pretty romantic lunch dates, even first ones. And they ended with a kiss in a parking lot... yep, I'm okay with PDA.

Exception to the rule. Lunch and coffee dates are notorious for being neutral at best, bland and awkward at worst. Neutral isn't going to get the job done.

But it is good that you are okay with PDA. :smile:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    In this case I would text saying that you had a great time yesterday and that you'd love to see him again. That's it. Now he knows you're open to seeing him again and ball is in his court.
  • DMZ_1
    In this case I would text saying that you had a great time yesterday and that you'd love to see him again. That's it. Now he knows you're open to seeing him again and ball is in his court.

That would impress me! If I saw this text, so long as the first time was not awful, I would give a woman sending this text another go, and it would be a night time date for sure!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member

That would impress me! If I saw this text, so long as the first time was not awful, I would give a woman sending this text another go, and it would be a night time date for sure!

I third this! What's the worst he can say? "No" that's it. Then on to the next one.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member

I third this! What's the worst he can say? "No" that's it. Then on to the next one.

Yes, this!!

And congrats on going on the first date! That's a really tough one anyway.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511

Yes, this!!

And congrats on going on the first date! That's a really tough one anyway.

Yup, after the handshake I'd say you have to make a move to show interest... this would make me feel good about the date and it puts the ball back in his court.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    I always send a thank you text after a date IF I'm interested, even if the guy already asked me out for 2nd date during 1st date. I am sure guys replay the evening in their head and I want him to know and not doubt that I'm into him.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Text him, I mean who talks on the phone anymore, and ask him if he's interested in gettin together again next week. Voila! The answer to your question will be revealed.
  • kit_katty

The trouble is I currently live in the suberbs and it takes me about 1.5 hrs to get downtown to work, that's why I suggested a lunch date (coffee date) to start. But I guess I can text him, I do want him to know I'm interested... but it was a bit awkward at times, but still mostly quite good.
  • poncho33

The trouble is I currently live in the suberbs and it takes me about 1.5 hrs to get downtown to work, that's why I suggested a lunch date (coffee date) to start. But I guess I can text him, I do want him to know I'm interested... but it was a bit awkward at times, but still mostly quite good.

It's basically a blind date... it should be a bit awkward. Text him!
  • kit_katty
    Wow, I'm out of practice, thoughts on this as a text (yes we've communicated by text to set up the last date)...

"Thank you for the coffee! I had a really good time!"

Does this put the ball in his court to make the next move, while not asking for a date, while showing that I'm interested?
  • poncho33
    Wow, I'm out of practice, thoughts on this as a text (yes we've communicated by text to set up the last date)...

Does this put the ball in his court to make the next move, while not asking for a date, while showing that I'm interested?

Scroll up a few posts to what La_Amazona wrote and text him that. I think your thank you isn't clear enough after a handshake. But that is me.
  • DMZ_1

No, that is unclear. You need to text exactly what La_Amazona said. In her text, you're not asking for a date, but you are making it clear that you want a 2nd date.