PCOS and Lap-Band Surgery

Options
So I have been doing a lot of reaserch on Lap-Band. And I have read alot about it actually help relieve some of the symptoms we all experience with PCOS...I am torn between doing it and not. I have talked to people where the surgery has worked and when the surgery hasn't worked. I am not a big fan of pills( I currently take zoloft, levethroid, and metformin) and surgery (especially voluntary) but this has been on my mind for a few months now. Please share your opinion and anything you believe I need to talk to my doc about. I welcome all feedback. :ohwell:

Replies

• Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The reason we PCOS Easy gain weight and struggle to lose weight is because of the relationship between pcos and insulin resistance and cortisol overproduction (hoarding hormone). We PCOS can diet with the best of them once we control the cycle. It's your body, but since you post asking, I would definitely recommend this approach first. It is effective and noninvasive. No medications. Just some vitamins and minerals that are critical to regulating endocrine functions... Plus an enzyme and some clever management of carbs (not cutting out carbs) to steady blood glucose and repair receptiveness to blood glucose. And don't overdo exercise and induce cortisol overproduction. Also makes weight loss easier to keep body in alkaline state. Tada! A kg a week.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've done the gastric bypass after my PCOS insulin resistance and weight finally combined into full blown diabetes. I wanted to do something before I ended up on insulin shots, I did that with both pregnancies and just didn't want to make that a part of my day for the rest of my life. I had also had an iffy liver function test from my daily pills as well so it was scary to think I might not be around in another 20 years and got serious about my options. Post surgery with the bypass your body absorbs everything differently including your own insulin, within a week I was off one of my two blood sugar pills within 6 weeks I was cleared to stop taking my metformin but still take it due to it's help with staying regular. My cholesterol is in much better shape and I still take synthroid but that's no big deal. I don't regret my surgery but I picked the gastric bypass because of these positive side effects. It is my understanding that the lap band does not produce the same effects it just aids in weight loss which doesn't change the way body absorbs your own hormones which is really what is going to relive PCOS symptoms beyond the obvious benefits of weight loss. If you have any specific questions about what I did feel free to message me and I'll try to be of help as you consider your options.
  • shanluts
    shanluts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what enzyme are you referring to?
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It is called COQ10 Enzyme.  PCOS sufferers are often insulin resistant because of the condition of the cell receptors that detect blood glucose and the cell membranes which allow the glucose to penetrate into the cell for energy.   COQ10 helps the blood glucose get into the cell in much the same way that insulin does, and it takes some load off the overworked pancreas and in time, can repair cell receptor sensitivity and the condition of the cell membrane.  Even cells that can't be repaired eventually get replaced anyway. Best wishes!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I would seriously consider traditional diet and exercise. Carbs are a culprit in PCOS and though macros aren't a problem in most people's weight loss. They are in ours. I lost very little and very slowly before my BC and Aldactone scripts...At my first plateau at 30lbs lost, I cut back on carbs (even in fruit) and started losing quickly again. A quick weight loss from a massive drop in caloric intake make shock your system and cause you to drop a bit of weight but I don't know that will solve the problem.

Best of luck with your decision though!