PCOS and Lap-Band Surgery

Options
So I have been doing a lot of reaserch on Lap-Band. And I have read alot about it actually help relieve some of the symptoms we all experience with PCOS...I am torn between doing it and not. I have talked to people where the surgery has worked and when the surgery hasn't worked. I am not a big fan of pills( I currently take zoloft, levethroid, and metformin) and surgery (especially voluntary) but this has been on my mind for a few months now. Please share your opinion and anything you believe I need to talk to my doc about. I welcome all feedback.

I have also prayed about this. And look a Christian Cystes group is here! :happy:

Thank you!:heart:

Replies

• singanote
    Options
    Hi, Dawnie,

I don't know anything about Lap-Band surgery (I mean, I know what it is, but I have no experience with it, haven't researched it, and haven't known anyone personally who has had it). However, I just wanted to let you know that I will pray for you on this for wisdom. I would be interested to hear what the research you've done has suggested to you...particularly why does it relieve the symptoms?

At one time, I was vaguely considering this type of surgery because, in addition to PCOS (and partially because the way PCOS makes carbs act as a bit of a "sedative" when eaten because of the excess Insulin floating around), I also consider myself a food addict. I have learned to use food to comfort myself, busy myself when bored, calm myself down when stressed, etc. And, what I have always known but only recently have been able to begin to live out is that I don't NEED food to do those things...because God is the one I can look to for all of that. In do still struggle sometimes in wanting to run to the "quick fix" (that creates long term issues!) rather than to God and would be lying if I tried to say that's never a struggle for me anymore. But, I finally have been making meaningful progress toward allowing God to fill those places in my heart rather than trying to fill them with food.

Having said that, I don't necessarily think that is YOUR issue or that it is an issue for every woman with PCOS at all. I also believe that God sometimes puts medical interventions (medications, procedures, etc) in our path as a way of healing. So, please know that I am not preaching at you or telling you that you shouldn't consider this procedure. It is possible that this is exactly what God has planned for you. My only suggestion is to allow God to search your heart, as you pray, and make sure that you are not looking for an external device to handle what He wants to handle in you. If, as you pray, you sense that is not the issue and that He approves of you proceeding, then I think you should.

I hope this isn't too confusing. I do pray that the answer is very clear and that if you decide to go ahead with it, that it is a huge blessing for you!

Blessings,
    Kristina
  • singanote
    Options
    Dawnie,

Wondering if you've gotten anywhere on this pursuit and if you've made any decisions? Just curious. I've been praying for you in the decision making!

Blessings,
    Kristina