audio books??

Options
I stopped listen to music while running a while ago. My music was distracting me...it's hard to explain, but I was doing well not listening to music...until I hit my longest run this past weekend. I was wondering if any runners listen to books on their iphone? I am considering downloading a free app on my phone.
Just wanted some input from any experienced runners.

Replies

• Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but if you do and it works, I would love to try it! I listen to music but would love to change it up now and then.
  • wingednotes
    Options
    My husband does this all of the time. Not my type of thing because I can't listen to books on audio - even when I'm not running, but he loves it. He finished 3 of the Game of Thrones books by doing this (each one is like a thousand pages.)
    To keep costs down, try taking books on audio out of the library and downloading them on the computer (into Itunes.)
  • Teresa712
    Options
    Well, I downloaded "Lone Survivor" from itunes on my phone...and will listen to it this Sat. for my long run. I have already read the book a couple of years ago, but thought since the movie is now being made I will listen to the book.
    It is 5 hours and 12 mins long...so that will be a couple of runs worth.

Thanks for the library tip, hadn't thought of that!!
  • Alster78
    Alster78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This works great until you start hurting. I usually keep a music playlist on my ipod, so I can switch off of the audio book during the run.
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Been thinking of trying this too, very interested in hearing how it works out for you :)
  • runchris63
    Options
    I really like that idea. I have not used that but the muisc does get boring after a while.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use the android app moonreader pro, it reads any epub file to me. I use svox text to voice with victoria voice, very natural sounding and you can correct pronunciation. I love it. Wish it was available on my iphone.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I do this allllll the time! It's a great way to focus on something other than how much "pain" you're in. Definitely give it a try -- there are loads of great books out there.
  • stoneydave79
    Options
    i do this often. but like the other post sometimes i switch back to music. I listen and read lots of fantasy and fiction. I have tons, of audio books and epubs. if you decide to try this ill send some. if you get that app that sends turns the epub into audio i have literally 70 stephen king books, all the game of thrones and tons of other stuff. what i love about this is sometimes a book gets really good. ill find myself reading, wanting to wait for my run, then ill sync up my audio book, then finish another hour. then come back to reading. If its a true audio book the voices carry over into your reading. I also drive a lot so i listen to them there. I just started the Wheel of time
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    i do this often. but like the other post sometimes i switch back to music. I listen and read lots of fantasy and fiction. I have tons, of audio books and epubs. if you decide to try this ill send some. if you get that app that sends turns the epub into audio i have literally 70 stephen king books, all the game of thrones and tons of other stuff. what i love about this is sometimes a book gets really good. ill find myself reading, wanting to wait for my run, then ill sync up my audio book, then finish another hour. then come back to reading. If its a true audio book the voices carry over into your reading. I also drive a lot so i listen to them there. I just started the Wheel of time

Not a running question--but if you read the Wheel of Time, I suggest you start taking notes. Things that appear insignificant in book 1 become important in books 10-12. Great read if you like Jordan's style. Brandon Sanderson picks up the pace a bit in the last 3 of the series.
  • stoneydave79
    Options
    Yeah I was curious how he did on those books.. I heard he had extensive notes to go off. The prequel helped. I understood land relationship with morriane
  • Shannonscott10
    Shannonscott10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i just got through listening to "Born to Run" It's a great story as well as very informative about running!!!
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options

I go throgh audio books like crazy. I would love if you would share with me, but I need more explanation on how to do it. I have about exhausted librovox because I had to cut down my crazy audio book purchases for a while. Started to getting excessive.
  • stoneydave79
    Options
    just saw this sorry, friend me or message me. ill email them to you. the best way ive found to do this is just treat them like mp3 files. sometimes the player mixes them up. so if that happens ill load a few chapters at a time.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i just got through listening to "Born to Run" It's a great story as well as very informative about running!!!

And if I were going to make a list of songs to listen to while running or otherwise exercising, Springsteen's "Born to Run" would be near the top of the list!