Am I too much of a beginner for this group???

Options
thebuz
thebuz Posts: 221 Member
Hi all,

Just wondering if there was anyone else in this group starting this running program for the first time. Nervous that I'm the only one that may struggle through this.

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Most of us are running it for the first time. :) (Edit: Including me! :) )
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I just did week 1, day 1 today for the first time ever. I have tried to run in the past but gave up very quickly. I think the whole point of c25k is to get a person who doesn't run, running. I think most of us here are beginners!
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Not at all. I think most of us who have done the program (myself, at least) haven't been running in ages. For me, I haven't been a regular runner since 3 years ago. Believe me, when it's been that long, it's like starting from scratch!
  • thebuz
    Options
    Not at all. I think most of us who have done the program (myself, at least) haven't been running in ages. For me, I haven't been a regular runner since 3 years ago. Believe me, when it's been that long, it's like starting from scratch!

Ha ha ha..... see I haven't ran since high school (20 years ago) and even then it was because I had to. That's why I'm worried I'm too much of a beginner. Pretty sure I will have trouble moving from 30 second runs to 60 second runs... lol
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

Ha ha ha..... see I haven't ran since high school (20 years ago) and even then it was because I had to. That's why I'm worried I'm too much of a beginner. Pretty sure I will have trouble moving from 30 second runs to 60 second runs... lol

C25K was created just for people like you (and me when I started this earlier this year). You will do fine! You'll surprise yourself, believe me! Trust the program, it works!!
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am pretty beginner. I think this program is made for people who are very beginner and you will probably be surprised how much you can do when you start (I remember thinking the first couple weeks were easy the last time I tried it and that was starting from no exercise-it does get harder though). Worrying about going from 30 to 60 second runs just make sure you run at your pace and don't try to go too fast. Go as slow as you need to to finish the 60 seconds. As you keep going in the program you will get faster!
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    This program is designed for beginners. It has taken me a few weeks to ease into myself. I'm very slow and quite awkward but I love it and I even call myself a runner now!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 and doing it for the 1st time, never ran before in my life...if someone my age can do it for sure you can! I am doing Week 2 Day 1 today. I was surprised that there was no 60 second run...it went from 30 seconds last week to 90 seconds this week!
  • thebuz
    Options
    I'm 64 and doing it for the 1st time, never ran before in my life...if someone my age can do it for sure you can! I am doing Week 2 Day 1 today. I was surprised that there was no 60 second run...it went from 30 seconds last week to 90 seconds this week!

Ok you rock!!!! I'm in!
  • thebuz
    Options
    Also I realize I have noticed that I have c210K loaded on my itouch so my intervals increase at a different pace than the C25K however due to degenerative arthritis in my knee I think I will stick with this one..... hopefully that won't be a problem for me to come here for support if I'm moving slower than everyone else. :-)
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting too! :D
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I've had foot surgery (not running related) on both feet and had a baby since I ran last. Believe me, it's like starting over. You will do fine. Also, don't worry about pace or even about sticking to the intervals. When I did this program before I think I repeated a couple of weeks when I didn't feel like I was ready to move ahead yet. You'll do great!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Ive never done it before either. So you are one among many beginners :smile:
  • thebuz
    Options
    Ok everyone.... you've all made me feel a bit better about my lack of cardio and running skills. I haven't done my first run yet but will be trying to do that tomorrow and Wednesday with the 3rd run on Friday. I hope everyone is feeling good and running safe!!! Just wondering when you all choose to run. I am up at 5:30 just to get to work on time and sometimes don't get home until 7 so finding it hard to figure out what would work best since I get home just in time to eat and then find I am unlikely to run after that since I feel sluggish and full. I am contemplating the 4:30 a.m. wake up and just wanted to see what is working for everyone else. :-)
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    The only time I can fit in a workout is before the rest of my family (husband and 9 month old son) wake up. That usually means getting up a little after 5 so I can be done, showered and ready to wake the family at 6:30. I work from 8-5 and don't want to take the time away from my family after work. I'm also one of those irritating morning people who can get up early in the morning easier than I can stay up later at night. The great thing about C25K is that the workout itself takes 30 minutes. You just have to find where you can squeeze the 30 minutes in 3 times a week. I think it's helpful to be flexible. For example, this week I may run T/Th/S and do M/W/F next week.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    C25K is for beginners!! I thought I hated running... until I got through Day 1 of C25K. It's been really fun ever since! I start Week 3 tomorrow!!