working and pregnancy

Options
Hi Ladies,

How are you coping with work during this pregnancy period? any discrimination at work and how are you handling that. I was worried about the treatment i would get at work and decided to hold on to the news until i was sure of what i would do if things didn't go so well,luckily for me , my boss noticed and asked me before i could tell her. She was awfully sweet about it and promised to give me all the support in my work that i needed, including getting me an assistant! iam enjoying work and pregnancy though i don't what will happen when i can't do much in the office.

Replies

• ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's great that your boss is so helpful! I didn't have any issues with work, but I wonder how I will fit behind my desk when I get bigger! haha
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    That's great your boss is supportive. My work doesn't seem to view me any differently, as long as I continue to get my work done, they are fine with me being pregnant. I still don't think they have figured out the plan for when I'm on leave yet though.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I haven't told work yet. I am waiting. I am about 10 weeks this week, and although I know that they will be supportive, I also know that no one else knows how to do my job. So have been putting off telling them, but have been trying to promote cross training with everyone and prove that everything will get done despite the pregnancy. My boss will freak out only because of this issue, and I will be on leave during my busy time - the pregnancy is a total shock to us - I was doing fertility stuff a couple of years ago, and did not get pregnant. We got pregnant on our own - the only difference is that I have lost 40 lbs, have gotten healthier and exercise alot.

How long did you guys wait before you told work?
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yay for a supportive boss! I hope that every woman experiences a supportive work place. Pregnancy can be stressful enough without added pressure.

I haven't had any issues here only that they've never had a female employee before so no one knew (including myself) what paper work had to be done. Thank goodness for HR folks, they've got that all under control. Work has carried on as usual and I just give my bosses a head ups when I have appointments. I had told them I was working right up until the week I am due and they gave me this look of horror and suggested that maybe I go a week early "wouldn't you feel like nesting a bit?" haha I think they are worried that something might happen at work and it'll be chaos. I was a bit worried about scheduling as I am normally required to go on fly in site visits the odd time but it's worked out and I haven't had to go up there. My director actually said he'd prefer if I stayed in town as it's not worth the risk of going up so that took some pressure off of me.
    My previous job, however, would've been different. I was in road construction and I couldn't imagine standing out there in this heat on my feet all day like this. If I was still there I would definitely feel very awkward and uncomfortable and worried about not pulling my weight.

This work place also found me a small step ladder to rest my cankles on when i'm at my desk :laugh: I also seem to be given a bigger piece of birthday cake when we have bday celebrations.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I still have't told my job yet and I am 20 weeks. I am a little concerned I work with all men so they probably think I am just getting fat. In fact I am sitting here right now looking at my boss and his son wondering when I am going to get the guts to do it. The reason I am so iffy is that appx 5 years ago my boss' wife told me that if I were ever to get pregnant that they would not be able to cover while I do dr. appt and deliver I would have to forfeit my job. Well since she is no longer a part of the company not sure if it still holds true she stays home with her grandchildren. I don't even know if she said that just to scare me. My husband spoke to his HR manager and in New York state it is perfectly legal to do that. They can't fire me just because I am pregnant, but I could lose my job because we employee 50 or less people and they could claim hardship on the company and I could lose unemployment benefits as well. I do want to tell them before they find out on their own just not sure how to do it.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Work has been normal for the most part... They have no problems with me taking off to go to the doctor and know that I will be taking a couple weeks off in November, but after that it's back to work... No choice since we can't afford for me to stay out of work longer than that. However, I am able to bring baby to work with me unitl we put him in daycare, so that's going to be a great help for us. As for right now, things are pretty much the same, but I've been told a few times already if I need help or don't want to lift something just let them know... They don't want me doing anything I shouldn't be doing.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Blink 1021 - what a terrible situation! I feel like that can't be legal. Do you have an HR department you can consult with? Or a lawyer friend? Good luck with that!

As far as work goes for me, I've been doing okay. I saved up some paid time off for the pregnancy so I've been using that. I'm 8 weeks and my pants are already getting a little tight and I'm having more nausea than I did so I might have to tell soon. I'm going for my first ultrasound today so I'll have more information to go on depending on that.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rosered3333 - that cannot be legal Blink 1021. Isn't there a law that covers that? I thought that they had to give you 6 weeks? Is that just a state law? Hmm...I would definitely talk to someone who knows the legal stuff before I talked with work.

I know with our leaves, I think we can use our sick time, and I have a whole lot of it saved up (I am rarely sick). They give us a generous time off accrual rate because they have not been able to give us raises.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm 30/31 weeks along. My work has been very understanding. I was bartending until about 14 weeks, then transferred within the company to a desk job. It's nice working for a place that I can move into a job that's better for me. Maternity leave isn't great. But by the FMLA law, they have to give me 12 weeks unpaid leave. I have to also use any sick or vacation time before that can start, though. Within the 12 weeks leave, I have full job and wage protection - they can't lower my wage or replace me, although they can move me to a different position at the same wage and benefits. They don't let me lift anything and my boss said she'd fire me if I had the baby in the office, which I think is perfectly understandable and funny! I'm trying to work as long as possible, but it would be nice to have time to nest. I'm also not sure about coming back after my leave. If we can afford it, I'm definitely going to stay home.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    Wondering how to tell my remote manager? I work at home, and my manager is on the opposite coast! I do have an office in the area I go to from time to time, and I know all of the folks there - so I am sure they will notice at some point (especially since they don't see me every day - that was the nicest benefit when I lost all the weight last year - someone was always commenting on it!). The rest of my team is remote also - so I don't have to worry about that for a while!

I do get out to the corporate campus from time to time, and I am waiting until the next quarterly meeting to say anything - I feel like it should be in person if possible?