Happy August!

Options
vendygirl
vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
Phew it is already AUGUST! July just flew by!

Day 2 of Bootcamp and day 2 of week 2 of c25k was yesterday. My goal is to keep this going! My bootcamp ladies have told me that even though my scale only says 7lbs that I look like I have lost a lot more. My tape measure doesn't seem to be making any changes either (but I could be doing something off there and I don't do it that often) but I know my pants fit better.

My major goal is to get this blasted flat tire off my waist. I am SICK of it and know it is the hardest place to lose I am determined. I am hoping the added c25k cardio will help take it off faster. If I can't keep up with running then I hope to jump into spinning again.

So that is my goal. Try to work out 5 times a week, 3 with circuit training and 2 with straight cardio. :D

Replies

• JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wow Vendygirl you are one busy lady!! I'm sure you'll move that tyre in no time :smile:

I have 2 fun runs in August, the city2surf which is 14kms & all hills (so I believe) & a 10km local fun run a fortnight later. I'm hoping to get some training in before the C2S which is next weekend :noway: I'm thinking there is going to be more walking then running in that one....

So here is to me getting back on track in August, burning lots of cals, seeing the number on the scale go down & the total number of cms lost go up :drinker:

Hope everyone has a great month :flowerforyou:
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Happy August everyone!

August is basically a month long feeding frenzy for me. My husband's birthday, our wedding anniversary, and my birthday occur in a 2 week time span and we usually go on vacation before the school year starts. This year, we're going to spend 3 days in Charleston, SC followed by 4 days in Myrtle Beach. Of course, there are always multiple celebrations for the same birthday with different friends and family members, plus an "August babies" party at the end of the month for a bunch of us that have August birthdays. I've given up fighting it. I just indulge and enjoy and spend the month of September working off the 5-10 lbs. I inevitably gain. Every year it gets a little harder to bounce back. Ah, middle age can suck sometimes. :grumble:

On a more positive note, I'm getting stronger by the week and set a new personal record tonight with the curl -- 60 lbs., which is 5 lbs. more than I lifted when I set a record at a weightlifting meet 4 years ago. I'm 35 lbs. lighter than I was then and in much better shape, so I'm thinking it may be time to get back in the game and enter another meet. We'll see how my training progresses through the month.

Good luck to all you runners. Try to stay cool and hydrated out there!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    AUGUST YAY

I'm having some massive side effects with my medicine, but it is something the doctor and I are working on with trial and error. I have to get LOTS of sodium and 14 cups of water a day. I also need to keep electrolytes up, which means adding salt to my water (soooo gross) or spending some calories on sports drinks (tastes much better). Very good news = no more stomach pains and extremely reduced stomach tumbling!

This week my goal is to keep up water and sodium. I want to stay in a good calorie range but until I get these side effects under control I really don't care how many calories I eat.

I also want to finish picking the weeds in the yard, clean up all the dog poo, and tidy up the house. I hope I have enough energy! Without the hypomanic highs, it is really tough for me to get used to being 'normal'. It really just feels like I'm tired but I know that isn't what it is.

Boyfriend is buying paint in the next week and we'll have to paint the house. Not looking forward to it but I really want to get it done!

On the 19th I have a lunch mixer with other transfer students, and on the 20th I begin University! I'm extremely excited about that!
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Not doing so well on the c25k so far. I finished week 2 a little over a week. My feet have been bugging me and my trainer said it was probably time for new shoes (and if it still doesn't stop after a week or two to seek out the doc). Bought new shoes yesterday and used them this morning. Skipped c25k yesterday due to needing new shoes and was exhausted. I am falling over with exhaustion today and feel I am no condition to attempt anything tomorrow. Sigh. Not sure why I am so beat lately. I plan on doing very little this weekend. Last weekend was jam packed (Friday was cleaning, Saturday c25k, more cleaning then housewarming party from 3pm-1am, Sunday Reds game).

I think I will see how I feel Saturday and maybe do the week 3 day 1 c25k then.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Not doing so well on the c25k so far. I finished week 2 a little over a week. My feet have been bugging me and my trainer said it was probably time for new shoes (and if it still doesn't stop after a week or two to seek out the doc). Bought new shoes yesterday and used them this morning. Skipped c25k yesterday due to needing new shoes and was exhausted. I am falling over with exhaustion today and feel I am no condition to attempt anything tomorrow. Sigh. Not sure why I am so beat lately. I plan on doing very little this weekend. Last weekend was jam packed (Friday was cleaning, Saturday c25k, more cleaning then housewarming party from 3pm-1am, Sunday Reds game).

how are you doing on calories? have you been eating back your C25K cals? long standing exhaustion like that can be related to not enough food.
  • vendygirl
    Options

how are you doing on calories? have you been eating back your C25K cals? long standing exhaustion like that can be related to not enough food.

Saturday I ate back my c25k calories and more as we had our housewarming party then (with beer, pizza, veggies, hummus, chips, more beer, hummus etc). I don't remember Sundays menu too much. I'll keep a better eye on the calories though. This morning might have been lack of calories as I was rushed a bit and only had my spark energy drink before the work out and then only some nuts and a powerbar after. I need to stock more morning food here at work.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    So how's it going? :)
  • JWmovin4ward
    Options
    Just on half way thru the month & I completed my first city2surf 14km fun run last sunday. Walked most of it but that's ok as now i have a time to beat next year!

The scale hasn't dropped any but I feel fit & healthy (well fitter & healthier then a did a few months ago anyways...)

I have a 10.5km fun run in 2 weeks, so I'm planning on getting as much cardio, sprint intervals & jogging in before then as training. So on the day hopefully I can jog/shuffle the entire course without stopping :noway: .... fingers crossed
  • tameko2
    Options
    I'm doing good - we've moved to 4x a week lifting which I am happy with , as the program is intended to be 4x a week, ideally.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Doing well. Haven't started week 3 of c25k (bad me) so I packed my bag and am going to attempt it tonight after work. My brother didn't help me by telling me that when one starts running it is painful!

I think I need to make this my last bootcamp session and just make myself get up and go to the gym in the morning. I will never find a workout partner (the lady at bootcamp is moving into maintenance so she is moving on to different structure).

I am frustrated that I am not seeing much change. I feel as if I am in maintenance mode and that isn't good. I need to lose 20lbs (the 40 on my ticker I think is insane and I need to change that). I don't want to stop working out by any means but I need to find a newer routine to get into to mix things up. I don't think I am ready for lifting just yet. I might move to that come the new year. Maybe I'll be able to talk my husband into lifting with me.

All in all things are good just reevaluating. :D
  • sarah44254
    Options
    It doesn't have to be painful, vendygirl. Just run at a pace you are comfortable with.even if it is slow, you're still doing the program right.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    It doesn't have to be painful, vendygirl. Just run at a pace you are comfortable with.even if it is slow, you're still doing the program right.

I was hurting due to I think working out too much! I will see how this week goes. Worse comes to worse I can just lay off the program until bootcamp ends in a month or so and then start back up to make it my only hard core exercise.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    The flood has begun. School is in session, and every week after this will have some sort of event, birthday, get together, or happening to prep for. These last 4 months of the year are total chaos and I both love and hate them! All of the families birthdays seem to be in this quarter of the year, along with anniversaries and of course, halloween and christmas!

I'm not complaining :) Just getting ready for the incredible rush of who-knows-what-the-heck-is-happenings
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Well it seems I have managed to only fit in 1 day of C25K every week, which is better than nothing (we do take laps at bootcamp so I count that as on day of c25k for all 3 days of bootcamp). I figure if I just keep it at one day a week I can always add more, especially once bootcamp ends in 3 weeks.

I had a nice NSV last weekend. Went shopping for new clothes because the last time I went shopping was 4 years ago. I was down to 5 work shirts and 2 pairs of work pants. I needed an up grade. Well I managed to find come cute tops (still in the XL but I have very broad shoulders, with a large rib cage that sit quite a large pair of sisters) so that didn't surprise me too much however the I did notice the love handles have reduced some. I put on this awesome blue/black Calvin Klein dress (in the outlet store for 50 bucks!) and I could see a difference even in the horrible dressing room mirror. I can always use a nice dress for the millions of weddings I attend so I bought it.

I am pondering running full out after bootcamp ends and then moving into lifting for the winter. I am hoping to convince my husband to join me on the lifting track. Maybe get his buddy to also talk him into it. We will see.

Have a wedding in a few weeks, my husbands birthday and then Vacation is a month away and I CAN'T WAIT. SO ready for it.

Have a good day ladies!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    hey, everyone! long time no see! i just wanted to drop a line a wish everyone well. i've been really busy and i'm still trying to get things in order so i can handle everything without feeling like my brain is going to explode! my big plan is to get a schedule done up today and start tomorrow, or i really will go crazy. if that goes well, i should be checking in here a bit more regularly, so we'll see. hope you all have a great rest of your weekend!
  • JWmovin4ward
    Options
    Well I completed the 10.5klm fun run on Sunday & I jogged/shuffled the full 10.5klms.... I didn't stop once!!! Lord knows I wanted to stop several times.... but once you stop it is so hard to get going again, so I'm glad I stuck it out.

This is only the 2nd fun run I've done, the first one was a little longer, so I took a guess at what time I wanted to aim for & I beat it by 1 minute! I think I shaved about 20-30secs off my per klm time from the first run which is great.

I'm not a runner by any means, I would call what I do more of a shuffle/slow jog but as I keep getting told it's more then walking!

I'm glad I have a friend who helps me out & told me to slow my pace right down cause I was trying to go too fast & I'm sure that is what was making it feel so hard to do. Also, when you get to that point when you feel like you can't possible catch your breath, keep going because your breathing will sort itself out & it will get easier.

I have another 10klm fun run in 2 weeks & honestly the thought of it is freaking me out... but I'll keep up my cardio work & try & get a smaller outside jog in before then & try not to overthink it. I think the "not overthinking it" part is what helps me.... I just turn up & give it a go.... It's like when I don't feel like working out, I find once I start I'm usually good to finish it!!
  • tameko2
    Options
    Last day of august- I should at least check in!

But I have nothign to share. I haven't been super good, or super bad, or done anything new and interesting. My lifting increases are paced pretty slowly. I'm boring. *cries*

Oh and I hate hate hate hate hate working for my boss. Hate it. I cry when thinking about it. Its weird because I've worked for her for a while, and she's ALWAYS been not-good, but something just snapped in my head and I can't take it anymore.