lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Squats - 90lbs
    OHP - 0 (stupid shoulder)
    DL - 115 lbs
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Ok so I lifted today. I went back to just the bar on the squats because I did so poorly last time I did them. I know my form must be off because I have some actual pain in my groin. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it is seriously begining to irritate me. I need to find someone who can watch me and tell me what I need to change.

I'm only guessing because I did this the other day on my squats: your toes may be turned out too far. I had a twinge in my groin on Tuesday when doing squats. I turned my toes in and took a slightly narrower stance and that seemed to help. Definitely ask someone that knows what they're doing to check your form, though.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Todays workout was:

Squats: 70 pounds (5x5)

Bench press: 85 pounds (5, 5, 5, 2, 4) After I did my first 3 sets successfully I was very surprised that I failed my last two, lol. Roll of shame, anyone? :D

Barbell Rows: 85 pounds (5x5)

Whew that kicked my butt.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Ok so I lifted today. I went back to just the bar on the squats because I did so poorly last time I did them. I know my form must be off because I have some actual pain in my groin. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it is seriously begining to irritate me. I need to find someone who can watch me and tell me what I need to change.

I'm only guessing because I did this the other day on my squats: your toes may be turned out too far. I had a twinge in my groin on Tuesday when doing squats. I turned my toes in and took a slightly narrower stance and that seemed to help. Definitely ask someone that knows what they're doing to check your form, though.

One thing I've noticed with squats is that everyone's body is just DIFFERENT enough that the width of feet, amount toes are pointed in, etc just varies by person. Tweak things til it feels good.

That said, my husband had that a lot and he mostly just had tight hip flexors and had to stretch them a lot. They don't hurt him now.

Form check is a good idea too
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options

One thing I've noticed with squats is that everyone's body is just DIFFERENT enough that the width of feet, amount toes are pointed in, etc just varies by person. Tweak things til it feels good.

That said, my husband had that a lot and he mostly just had tight hip flexors and had to stretch them a lot. They don't hurt him now.

Form check is a good idea too

Thank you. I will try adjusting my feet width and watch my turn out, as soon as I am able to get back in the gym. I am so annoyed right now, I broke my toe yesterday. I was walking to the kitchen and ran my foot into my husband's boot and I knew immediately that I broke the toe.My toe is so painful and I can't get a shoe on. I will be back in the gym as soon as the swelling goes down and I can get this foot in a shoe. Great job everyone, keep it up!
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Squat 175 (5 5 5 5 4)
    OHP 135 (5 5 5 4 3)
    DL 185

Apparently I went swimming after last nights workout, now my MCL is acting up again and I have trouble walking, my whole knee is in pain. I should know better!! Ohwell no lifting for me at the moment. :frown:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Ive impinged my rotator cuff so got to take (at least) a week off aaaaaaaagh!! Am devastated :(
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    @amy: sorry!!

i have not lifted in a week, and I leave today for vacation, so no lifting for at least another 10 days, which means when I get back I will seriously need to deload. Thats ok. I will focus really on form and I also should be able to start lifting 3 days per week again!!!

Keep up the good work ladies!!
  • FatSlayer1016
    FatSlayer1016 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

Reading all of your stats is awesome! I have completed only three sessions of SL so far, but I was lifting doing a split routine for about a month or so before starting SL. I have been able to complete the full 5x5 with all of these current weights:

Squat - 105
    BP - 55
    Barbell Row - 65
    Deadlift - 155

However, after doing some more learning, I realized that I haven't been going to parallel on my squats, so I may have to deload tomorrow and make sure that I get to parallel on those babies!

Also, I'm going to 165 on my deadlifts tomorrow, which super excites me. However, I am noticing that my hands HURT after doing my warm-up sets, and in order to keep my grip on the DLs, I have to use an alternate grip. So sad :cry: Should I get some gloves, or just practice holding my warm-up weight at the top of the lift to strengthen my hands? I have heard people recommend both sides, so I am interesting in getting some more input.

Oh and I could use some more friends that lift, anyone interested? :flowerforyou: Bonus points for anyone who isn't afraid to give me grief for a bad diary bad. :happy:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    So I will not be in town this weekend for lifting. I lifted last night (Thu) and won't lift again until Tue. Nearly a week. My husband says he's going to keep all his weight amounts the same for the next two workouts (cycling through A & B). I failed bench and OHP this week so staying the same is a given, but I don't want to stay the same on squats. I want to keep going.

But should I stay the same? Maybe at least for Tuesday? I was at 110 lbs last night. What do you ladies think?

See...here's video! *shameless plug*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJLQ9hR2M8
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I use gloves. I don't know if that's considered the "sissy" way out though, I've noticed I'm the only one who uses them in the gym. If I don't wear them I get really bad callouses and my rings pinch my ring finger.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Squat: 125lbs
    OHP: 45lbs
    DL: 155lbs

I still haven't jumped the mental hurdle of the 45lb plates yet. I stack 4 25s. Oh the mental games we play.

I'm getting into the thick of marathon training right now so I'm looking at maintaining weights as opposed to increasing soon.
  • lexagon
    Options
    Hey ladies,

Reading all of your stats is awesome! I have completed only three sessions of SL so far, but I was lifting doing a split routine for about a month or so before starting SL. I have been able to complete the full 5x5 with all of these current weights:

Squat - 105
    BP - 55
    Barbell Row - 65
    Deadlift - 155

However, after doing some more learning, I realized that I haven't been going to parallel on my squats, so I may have to deload tomorrow and make sure that I get to parallel on those babies!

Also, I'm going to 165 on my deadlifts tomorrow, which super excites me. However, I am noticing that my hands HURT after doing my warm-up sets, and in order to keep my grip on the DLs, I have to use an alternate grip. So sad :cry: Should I get some gloves, or just practice holding my warm-up weight at the top of the lift to strengthen my hands? I have heard people recommend both sides, so I am interesting in getting some more input.

Oh and I could use some more friends that lift, anyone interested? :flowerforyou: Bonus points for anyone who isn't afraid to give me grief for a bad diary bad. :happy:

There's nothing wrong with doing a mixed grip. If that is what helps you get the weight up then use it. Everyone is different. Some people swear by mixed. Some use gloves, some will use straps or grips. I say as long as your form isn't being jeopardized then you are fine. Keep doing whatever you are doing.

Added you as well! :)
  • lexagon
    Options
    So I will not be in town this weekend for lifting. I lifted last night (Thu) and won't lift again until Tue. Nearly a week. My husband says he's going to keep all his weight amounts the same for the next two workouts (cycling through A & B). I failed bench and OHP this week so staying the same is a given, but I don't want to stay the same on squats. I want to keep going.

But should I stay the same? Maybe at least for Tuesday? I was at 110 lbs last night. What do you ladies think?

I would stay with whatever my last workout was, unless you KNOW you can go up. I was off for 2 weeks and used numbers from the last workout I had done for that day (which was A I believe). Just to make sure that I didn't overdue it. :) Then just move on from there.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I would stay with whatever my last workout was, unless you KNOW you can go up. I was off for 2 weeks and used numbers from the last workout I had done for that day (which was A I believe). Just to make sure that I didn't overdue it. :) Then just move on from there.

You shouldn't lose strength in a week, in fact, a week off now and then gives your muscles a chance to recover fully. You may be able to lift more. I'm going to test this out on Monday. I took a deliberate week and a half off because I'm sick of feeling soreness in my quads every time I stand up at work.
  • jessiekayq
    jessiekayq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm completely stoked to find this group. I found out about Stronglifts 5x5 about a week ago and I'm excited to find other women who lift since no one I know personally is even remotely interested in anything other than lifting with barbie weights and machines. Today was my second time lifting, squats 50lbs, overhead press 35lbs, and dead lifts 45lbs. After the first lifting session my legs were so sore!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I finally managed to hit 80lbs on my bench press. I've been struggling with it the last few weeks. I ended up having to build up to it, one rep at a time. I got 5 reps yesterday. I was stoked. :smile:
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I finally managed to hit 80lbs on my bench press. I've been struggling with it the last few weeks. I ended up having to build up to it, one rep at a time. I got 5 reps yesterday. I was stoked. :smile:

Yay! I know I've been really creeping up sometimes just 1/2 lb. at a time. But progress is progress. It kills me when I see women putting up bench numbers well over 100 lbs. I can't believe I'll ever be that strong.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    So far so good.....

Squat- 95
    OHP- 65
    Bench- 70
    Deadlift- 145
    Row- 85

I'm still upping at 5 LBS per session so I am sure I will need to drop down to 1LB increments sooner or later. I have only been lifting twice per week on back to back days lately due to baby swim lessons in the evenings....I'll be back on track this week with 3 days of lifting all split apart hoping to see better results.