GF and Hypothyroidism

Options
rlbryce
rlbryce Posts: 7 Member
I wanted to make a connection with two auto-immune disorders. I've had this conversation with my endocrinologist, who was the detail person who tested me and diagnosed my CD 5 years ago. So, I have an under active thyroid. My dosage for synthroid kept increasing until I was diagnosed with Celiac. I did not recognize the GI symptoms, I thought I had lyme disease with a fever and bone pain. Once on a GF diet, my body could actually absorb the synthroid and my synthroid levels dropped. I finally have leveled off at a dosage after 5 years. If you know anyone else with thyroid issues find their dosage increasing then suggest they get tested for Celiacs. Or if you are recently diagnosed with CD, and are taking thyroid hormones, or any maintenance medicines, then have them checked at regular intervals, as your absorption will get better with the GF diet. Interesting that my allergy meds also worked better after my absorption increased following the intestinal healing from a gluten-free diet. I thought this healthy social media site would be a great place to share. Rock on!

Replies

• Lroppolo
    Lroppolo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I've had hashimoto's disease for the past 13 years. I'm constantly having to adjust my medication. One month I will be fine and then the next time I see the doc, I'm under medicated and growing a goiter. I've recently had a bump up in meds to 150 mcg and after two months it doesn't seem to be shrinking my goiter. I was tested for Celiac but it came out negative. Now I think it might be a false negative. I started cutting out the gluten a few days ago, so we will see what happens. I do believe there is a strong corellation between celiac and autoimmune disease.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't know about thyroid issues, but they do seem to run in conjunction with Celiacs just from what I've seen. Have you spent any time at celiac.com? A large majority of people with Celiac have other autoimmune disorders as well. And from what I've read, if you have a parent with an autoimmune disorder, then your chance is greatly increased as well.
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    I am allergic to gluten and also have hashimoto's (hypothyroid). I found out about the celiac before my thyroid problem so I had been gluten free for several month prior to starting synthroid. Only been on synthroid for about 10 weeks now and still feeling pretty crummy. From my understanding the link is because your celiac condition mistakes your thyroid tissue for gluten proteins and attacks it; not sure if that's right or not but I have a thryoid full of white blood cells that isn't working right so sounded legitimate.