Man Food Recipes

Options
MKLAMAN
MKLAMAN Posts: 84 Member
I like to cook. I really like to cook "Man Food". BBQ, Pizza, Wings, and so forth. I thought this might be a good place to share some of your "Man Food" recipes that might be a little lower calorie yet still good enough for the manly men we are.

I'll start with a fantastic buffalo chicken dip that I made for the Superbowl this year. I used Baked Tostitos Scoops but you really could use anything, or even put it on one of those nifty 80 calorie hamburger buns. It is a little high on sodium but maybe you could find a different hot sauce that isn't so sodiumy.

Ingredients:

•6oz Low-Fat Whipped Cream Cheese
•6oz Plain Greek Yogurt
•6oz shredded chicken breast
•1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, divided
•3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, divided
•1 1/2 Tablespoons dry Ranch Dip Mix

Instructions:

In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, Greek yogurt, chicken, 1/2 cup buffalo sauce, 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese and ranch dip mix. Spread mixture in an 8×8 glass dish and top with remaining Mozzarella cheese and buffalo sauce. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Serves: 9
Calories: 141
Carbs: 3
Fat: 10
Protein: 11
Sodium: 817
Sugar: 2

Replies

• MKLAMAN
    Options
    I'll add one more here. My famous ribs, which are absolutely fantastic.

The last time I made these I used St. Louis spare ribs. You could also use baby back but I liked the St Louis because there was more meat.

-In a large disposable pan, layer a bunch of iceburg lettuce leaves.
    -Please the slab or slabs of ribs on top of the lettuce.
    -Pour an entire 2 Liter of REGULAR coke over top of the ribs.
    -Cover tightly with tin foil.
    -Bake at 350 degrees for three hours.
    -When done, remove ribs and let them cool on a plate for awhile.
    -Cut the slabs in half and place in a large zip lock bag filled with your favorite BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's Original).
    -Let marinade in BBQ sauce overnight in the refrigerator.
    -The next day, throw those babies on the grill and baste with more BBQ sauce during grilling.

Hands down one of the best things I've ever made. I don't use a rub or anything on these but I'm sure you could.

I don't even want to think about the calories in these things so I'm not going to even attempt to calculate them.

Let me know if you try this.

Mark
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i really want to try the ribs your way. I gotta wait until I am ready to splurge though. Ribs are a killer for me.
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Healthy Nachos

Tortilla chips
    --12 Corn tortillas
    --Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    --Salt

Take tortillas, brush with oil (be sure to measure how much you use so you can keep up with calories). Cut into triangles and bake at 350, checking every two minutes until crispy.

Top with fat free refried beans, cheese, jalapenos and guacamole. You can take this chips, top with beans and cheese and warm in oven until cheese is melted.

Guacamole

2 avocados mashed
    juice of one lime
    1/4 red onion finely chopped
    1 finely chopped seeded tomato
    1/4 t cumin
    salt to taste

Enjoy
  • MKLAMAN
    Options
    Low Calorie Lasagna - It's not fancy. It's super easy and I really like it. Easy to portion into 12 pieces and then freeze the leftovers.

8 oz cooked lasagna noodles (I used Great Value from Walmart). 8 oz = 9 of the individual lasagna strips.
    2 cans of Hunts Garlic & Herb Spaghetti Sauce
    1 pound 93/7 browned ground beef.
    3 cups pizza cheese (mozzarella works too)

Spread a couple spoonfulls of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
    Layer 3 noodles on the bottom.
    More sauce
    1/3 of the hamburger
    1 cup of cheese
    Layer 3 more noodles
    More sauce
    1/3 of the hamburger
    1 cup of cheese
    Layer the final 3 noodles
    More sauce
    The rest of the hamburger
    DON'T add more cheese. Save it.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for an hour. Remove foil. Add remaining cup of cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.

Serves 12
    Calories - 257
    Carbs - 23
    Fat - 10
    Protein - 18
    Sodium - 833
    Sugar - 5
  • MKLAMAN
    Options
    I've also had a number of requests for my sister in law's sloppy joe recipe. Here it is:

4 lbs browned 93/7 ground beef
    1 Can Tomato Soup
    1 Can Campbell's Light Chicken Gumbo Soup
    1/4 Cup Quick Oats
    1 Envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Beefy Onion Soup and Dip Mix
    1 Cup Ketchup
    5 teaspoons mustard (usually I just squirt a bunch in and don't measure)
    1 Tablespoon dehydrated minced onions.

Mix everything together and put in the crock pot until hot. Usually I make this the night before and put in the fridge and then plug in the crockpot on low and it's done by lunch time.

Serves - 16
    Calories - 225 per 4 ounce serving
    Carbs - 12
    Fat - 8
    Protein - 24
    Sodium - 553
    Sugar - 6

I use the 80 calorie hamburger buns and that makes it only 305 calories per sandwich. Not too shabby.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    1 sockeye salmon (caught today)
    Wasabi
    Brown short-grained rice

Feast!!
  • MKLAMAN
    Options
    Here is my recipe for Italian Meatballs. When I make this I make 1 ounce meatballs. Last time it made 45 meatballs. These are really good to use in spaghetti or to make meatball subs out of. 50 calories a ball!

2 lbs 93/7 ground beef
    8 slices of low calorie bread (I use Village Hearth Light Italian at 40 cals a slice)
    2 Large Eggs
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp italian seasoning
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

Cube the bread into 1/2" pieces. Throw it all in a big *kitten* bowl and mix it up. I just get my hands in there and get it all thoroughly mixed. Get out your food scale and weigh out 1 oz portions and roll into balls. Line up the balls in a 9x13 baking dish or pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350* or until you can cut one of the middle balls open and see no pink.

I have had many compliments on this. Makes a killer meatball sandwich with some marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.

I usually freeze the leftover balls as they're easy to defrost and reheat.

Calories - 50 per ball (based on 1 ounce balls)
    Carbs - 2
    Fat - 2
    Protein - 5
    Sodium - 104
    Sugar - 0
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Skinny Pulled pork

Kroger boneless rib end roast, or loin if you like

1 bottle Walden farms thick and spicy BBQ sauce

1 bottle Heinz reduced sugar tomato ketchup

Rub pork down with your favorite BBQ spices, I use salt/pepper/paprika/cumin/garlic powder and onion powder, then put in crock pot for 6-8 hours on low. Drain fat after pork is cooked and pull apart using two forks. Add bottle of BBQ and Ketchup.

This will give you about 20-25 2oz servings at roughly 50 calories per serving. And it is good. It is not famous dave's good but for 50 F'N calories its Damn good.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    low calorie Beef/Turkey Chili

1lb 99% fat free ground Turkey

1lb 96% fat free ground Beef(laura's lean is what I use)

6 cans diced Tomatoes

2 Cans green Chili peppers

2 pouches of Chili Seasoning( I use lower sodium)

2 med onions chopped fine

2 med Bell Peppers chopped fine

2 cloves chopped Garlic

2 cups chopped cauliflower(optional)

Brown ground turkey and beef in a pan then remove meat. add onion/green peppers/cauliflower cook until tender, add tomatoes/garlic and put the meat back in the pot. add the two packets of seasoning. cook for several hours and add seasonings as needed, hot sauce if you like it spicy.

20 servings
    1 cup per serving
    107 calories per serving
    12 gr protein
    1 gr fat.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just printed these all up.

As a newby who needs to watch sodium as well as calories these are appreciated as are any and all suggestions.

Keep 'em comin'!
  • scottg1024
    Options
    Bump - or burp...I'm sure it will work either way.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don't normally *kitten* out my blog (*cough*bull*****cough*) but heres a bunch of authentic Indian/pakistani/Arabic/Afghani recipes for ya. MOST of them are healthy though some are just purely for taste

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto

NOTE: Excuse the poetry and other crap
  • MKLAMAN
    Options
    Ok so last night the wife made one of the most amazing hams I've ever had. Here is what she did:

Take a fully cooked smoked ham and stick in the crockpot. Add an entire bottle of sugar free pancake syrup. Turn it on low and cook until dinner.

Wow, it was fantastic. Moist, and it got a sweet glaze to it. It was absolutely fantastic!!!

The ham itself 120 calories per 3 ounces and I figured maybe I consumed 1/4 cup of the sugar free syrup which added 35 calories. But I probably overestimated that.

I know it sounds kind of weird but it was phenomenal. Try it. You'll be glad you did.
  • MKLAMAN
    Options
    Alright, I just whipped up a batch of my favorite no bake cookies. I typically only make them at Christmas. I'm considering these a "man" food since they are so ridiculously easy to make, anybody could do it.

8 ounces of white Almond Bark
    3 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
    1 Cup Rice Crispies
    1 Cup Mini Marshmellows
    1 Cup Dry Roasted (SALTED) Peanuts.

In a pot, melt the almond bark and peanut butter on medium until creamy, Remove from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Drop cookies onto waxed paper to cool.

The batch I just made made 18 cookies. I figure the nutritional values as follows:

Calories - 129
    Carbs - 12
    Fat - 8
    Protein - 2
    Sodium - 66
    Sugar - 10
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    8285468299_ef54ee5067_m.jpg

Zucchini Pizza crust, OMMMEEEEGAWD.

2 cups of shredded zucchini(drained for 30 minutes and squeezed)
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup eggbeaters
    2 tbs parmesan cheese
    2 tsp black pepper
    1Tbs garlic powder
    1Tbs dried oregano
    Salt to taste.

Mix zucchini with flour,paresan,garlic,oregano,pepper and salt then add the eggbeaters.
    spread out on a parchment lined cookie sheet or pizza pan , about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Bake for 22 minutes at 350 in a preheated oven. pull out crust, turn oven on broil, spray top of crust with cooking spray, just a bit. brown the crust under the broiler aprox 3 minutes. put a fresh piece of parchment on top and flip the crust over, spray the other side with cooking spray and brown for aprox 2-3 min. Sauce and top with your favorite toppings. put back in the oven at 350 until cheese is melted and starting to brown. MMMMMMMMMMM Darn good stuff.

for me this made about a 14" pizza, I made this into 4 servings and it was roughly 90 calories per serving. so when it was done I had 1/2 a 14" pizza with turkey pepperoni and green peppers for 325 calories. And this is Freakin Tasty.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Speaking of pizza, I used to make a quickie pizza back in college days

baguette (or something similar)

split in half horizontally and then vertically. Now you will have 4 pieces (and 4 potential pizzas)

put on some tomato sauce though some good olive oil itself is also good

put on your favorite toppings (I used to use some left over grilled chicken, some olives, tomatos, onions)

Add the amount of cheese you want (which for me means LOTS of it)

throw it in the oven and cook till the cheese melts.

It was a good way to get rid of the left over food items etc, speciall the bread which hollywood has taught me is a must buy in every grocery trip but the Asian in me dunno how to cook properly ...
  • MKLAMAN
    Options
    So the other day I posted about the Taco Pizza that I made. I've had taco pizza at pizza places and thought I'd make up my own recipe. It was absolutely fantastic! Here is what I did:

7" store bought pizza crust (the kind that is already baked like Boboli crusts)
    1/4 cup refried beans
    1/8 cup pizza sauce
    1/4 cup taco meat
    1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
    1/2 cup shredded lettuce
    7 Nacho Cheese Doritos - lightly crushed
    1/8 cup shredded colby jack cheese
    2 T light sour cream
    3 T hot sauce

- With a spoon or spatula spread the refried beans over the entire crust and then drizzle the pizza sauce over the beans.

- Spread out the taco meat followed by the shredded mozzarella on top of it.

- Bake according to the crust package.

- When done baking, top with the shredded lettuce, Doritos, colby jack, sour cream, and hot sauce.

- Eat.

- Wish you weren't on a diet and could eat another one.

I calculated this out at around 775 calories for the whole pizza, so it's not low in calories by any means, but it certainly was tasty.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just a thought why does something sodiumy have to be so yummy?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Just a thought why does something sodiumy have to be so yummy?

we have been conditioned to it for so long that food does not taste right to us unless it is completely Brined. cut back for a few weeks and you will be able to taste new flavors, I love salt but I want to control the salt not have it injected in my food. and funny how when you salt food it is way lower sodium than the processed stuff and tastes saltier.
  • MKLAMAN
    Options
    Last night I tried a recipe for crock pot pulled BBQ chicken. It was VERY good.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (my total was 32 ounces)
    1 bottle BBQ sauce (I used a small bottle of Sweet Baby Rays Original)
    1/2 can Diet Cherry Coke
    1/2 cup brown sugar

Put everything in the crock pot for 4 hours on low. Then shred the chicken and cook for 1 hour more. Mine ended up being about 72 calories an ounce.

It was really good!!!!