6 year old completes Taipei Marathon

Options
redredy9
redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/marathoners/six-year-old-finished-taipei-marathon

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taipei/2010/12/20/284355/6-year-old-marathon.htm

"six-year-old Wu Chun-hao, who broke records as the youngest person to complete the 42.195-km distance run.
Wu, who hails from Hualien, completed the marathon in 05:11:45"

"in the final 10-km stretch, little Wu complained of aching knees and broke into tears which were still running down his face when he crossed the finish line.

When asked whether it was fun, Wu shook his head. However, asked if he would do it again, the boy bravely replied in the affirmative"

Wow! Talk about a prodigy! If he can do it so can I?!?!

Replies

• kimchi84
    kimchi84 Posts: 56
    Options
    wow, thats amazing! I too feel like if he can do i can too hehehe.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    That's bananas.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Whoa!! He has me beat!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am afraid I might break into tears before the end too!

Commenters on RW were saying 6 year old running marathon = child abuse

What do you guys think? Is it any different than rigorous ballet or gymnastic training that kids that age do if they are going to go pro?
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I am afraid I might break into tears before the end too!

Commenters on RW were saying 6 year old running marathon = child abuse

What do you guys think? Is it any different than rigorous ballet or gymnastic training that kids that age do if they are going to go pro?

When I first read this, I thought it was extreme and I could definitely understand why someone may say it's child abuse. However, as you kind of alluded to, it probably somewhat cultural similar to the examples you provided. Also, in some of these cultures people walk/run a lot further everyday then Americans/other cultures b/c they may not be close to freshwater, a city/town, and other resources. While 26 miles is a lot in our culture this is probably like a typical training day run, especially in African and Asian cultures for a lot of children and adults.

While I'm sure Runner's World writers don't mean to be disrespectful, we have to remember that not all countries follow our Western ideas and beliefs. I'm guessing the race organizers let him participate and here in the US as far as I know there are age minimums, which I'm sure vary by place to place. So, while I wouldn't let my child I don't think it's necessarily child abuse and doesn't seem like he was forced.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I think it's irresponsible parenting.

I'd be interested to hear what a doctor would have to say about subjecting a 6 year old body to the type of punishment that a marathon delivers.