Ok, what do you do to make running more enjoyable?

Options
kaajay
kaajay Posts: 62 Member
I recently saw a commerical for one of those e-reading devices, or IPod type of things for "listening books" - and that made me, SO that's how runners are able to go the long distance without getting bored!! So yes, I figured by listing to music or books on tape/iPods is a big factor. So that got me thinking, what about us Deafies?

You see, I can go about 2.5 miles before I get bored out of my mind and just want to head home. I really, really, really want to be able to run 5 miles - 10 miles - 13 miles, and heck event 26.3 miles! But just can't wrap my mind around enjoying it without some kind of stimulation.

Any thoughts, tips?

P.S. I run outdoors (not on a treadmill).

Replies

• rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that. I have no answer.

Cross fit does have an answer though - we do 400 meter run at a comfortable-fast pace. Then, two forms of exercises, that can be something like 20 sit ups and 10 pushups. Then repeat this routine of run, sit ups, pushups... all in specific amount of time, say, an hour.

That REALLY makes running fly by (literally). And you can do this kind of routine on your own.

So try that?

OR.... IDEA! take a train 26 miles out and run home, and that way you have no choice. LOL.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    To have a desire to run in a X distance will motivate you to finish it. I used to run 3-6 miles every other days. I don't do that anymore and I have switched to crossfit.

You don't need to carry a TV, computer, book, piano, etc with you while you are running. You just need to have the mentality to finish the run, desire to be in well-fitness, wonders how your day went, plans in the future, etc will motivate you. However that is a man's thoughts. Woman's thoughts are very different than a man's. Women are experts at doing the multi-tasks at same-time. For men, just have a goal and finish it. :)
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great tips both of you.

Yes, I'm an extreme multitasker sometimes (I even handled a TTY call, VP call, IM, and talking to a consumer all at ONCE!). Carrying a piano on a run would give a fab arm work out, but might not be good on the back.

Rain, I appreciate the crossfit routine. Wouldn't like doing that in my place, and I'll just have to see if that's something I could do on the streets (.... actually, make that sidewalks)....

Hmm taking a bus or train out... that could be a good possibility... lol. Makes sense for North San Diego.. but LA? Eeh. Although that just might be a good preparation for the zombie apocalypse.

Thanks!
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I KNOW! How about taking your run to a more fun place, like around a reservior or griffith park? I agree with jindra(sp?) - if you create a ROUTE that you HAVE to finish, then its all about ... mentality - just finishing the damn thing.

And set your goal for a race - 5K.

I guess a MAN came up with the Nike slogan JUST DO IT. LOL.
  • vinstevel
    Options
    I don't run, because I really don't like it. Sometimes I go on the treadmill, but tend more towards the elliptical, but either of those, I turn on netflix on my phone (droid 3), and it has captions. I watch a 46 minute show of anything that doesn't require much attention like Dr Who, and it keeps me occupied and I never quit, because I want to see the end of the episode