Oregon Outdoors- Burning calories outside of the gym

Options
amersmanders
amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
Since it's been so quiet on here, I thought I would start a topic. What outdoor activities do you do and/or where do you go to get exercise outside of the gym/home?

City/Town you live in/have lived in: Salem, but have also lived in Eugene
Favorite outdoor activity: Hiking, but mostly just "easy" hikes.
Favorite place to be outdoors: I love going to Mt. Tabor park in Portland
How did you discover it?: Some friends of mine who lived in Portland took me there.

Feel free to share anything you would like.

Replies

• BestCindyICanBe
    BestCindyICanBe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I live in Keizer.
    I also like to hike but have feet problems so it can be painful if it is too long.
    I love Silver Falls. On a hot day it is nice and cool. I also love to hike the falls in the Gorge.
    It is funny my grandmother just turned 90. She lives in Hood River. Last time we went to see her we stopped on the way to hike some of the falls in the Gorge. She told me that that is something she never did. They would drive by them and think...we are going to do that some day. Some day never came. I don't want that to happen to me.
  • PDLUCKY
    PDLUCKY Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I live in Newberg but the Fanno Creek Trail that goes from Tualatin to Tigard then Beaverton and I believe a little into SW Portland is a great place to get some exercise in. I started in Tualatin and rode almost the entire trail and back in 2 hours. However it is a little tougher for bikes since the path is not super wide and it gets a lot of foot traffic. Definately a interurban trail to check out.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I live in Elkton, and in the summer months when the water is low we head down to the river and climb on the rocks. Its not horribly hard and it is nice to be down by the water. Loon lake has some nice trails, and a swimming area. I don't have anyone to go with except my boys so I don't often go but I enjoy it when I can.

I am glad to hear of new places to go to though. My daughter is attending college in Portland and was at GFU last year. It would be nice to see some places up near her.
  • jlsand65
    Options
    I live in Lake Oswego. I walk all over the area from my house. Today I did over 8 miles, going up to Iron Mountain Park and over to Springbrook park. I also like to bike the Banks to Vernonia bike trail. I try to do the whole route, which is 45 miles. I do that once to twice a week during the good weather. I also like to bike the Springwater Corridor. :smile:
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I live in Medford, previously from the Bay Area CA. I enjoy walking & hiking, especially in Oregon where there are some gorgeous areas right in our own area to get a nice walk in. In summer months, we try to get to the lake as often as possible for some great swims. Haven't gotten into much more than that, but hoping to expand some as I get in better condition to keep up.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love to take brisk walks and go out dancing! In the summer I played tennis a bit as well, that was a lot of fun :)
  • joshuaadavidd
    Options
    I live in Vancouver (I know, I know, darn Washingtonians) and here in Clark County they've marked a bunch of trails every quarter mile. It's a great way to see how far I'm going, especially when GPS tracking tacks on anywhere between 3-8% more distance on my walks. I'm a member of Clark County Running Club, which has a great group of members, and lets me start early since my bum knee keeps me strictly a walker.

I also like to get out on hikes, which is something I never did before. I went up to Dog Mountain a couple months ago and made the summit. It was one of those great times when you realize you're in better shape than you thought!