Pistachio Cookies

Options
TanzaMarie
TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
Does anyone have a recipe for pistachio cookies? No one else in my family likes them all that much so I never learned how to make them. I'm thinking about trying this recipe - any thoughts?

http://scarpettadolcetto.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/sicilian-pistachio-cookies/

And if you happened to be vegan, do you know what I would substitute for the egg whites?

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm crazy about pistachios and those look delicious! I've never even heard of them, but my family's not from Sicily.

Normally you can substitute flax or chia seeds and a bit of water for whole eggs, but I don't know if that would work for the whites. According to my quick Google search it looks like you'll have to find some agar powder.
  • TanzaMarie
    Options
    I found agar flakes and the woman in the Health Food store kinda scared me away from it. They turned out pretty good, but not as good as the ones from the bakery. I think I need to puree the pistachios maybe. If you get a chance, try them, they are awesome! (if you like that sort of thing). Where is your family from? Any super delicious desserts you can suggest? I can veganize almost anything. I think I'm going to try a walnut tart this weekend actually, fingers crossed!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    We're from the Molise region. The only traditional dessert my family makes is pizzelles, which I love, but you need to have a special iron for them.
  • TanzaMarie
    Options
    I ate pizzelles like it was my job. We didn't put any sugar on them so they went perfectly with my wine. I was so very happy!