Change Starts NOW!!!! Yes on a Monday!

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Hey, who watched the 60 minutes update on sugar?!??! It was good. Most of what they said has been reported before but it was nice for a well respected TV show and for a mass audience to hear it! Does anyone thing the manufacturers do by accident by putting sugar in almost all of packaged foods?!?! Of course, they know it is addicting...why they put it in there!! So, we keep eating it...but knowledge is not POWER until put into action....
So, the challenge is if you know how excess sugar can promote cancer, heart disease and insulin disturbances etc...what do you plan to do about it???

How will you challenge yourself to change the foods you choose to put in your basket at your next grocery shopping trip?!?

Peace,
WW

Replies

• lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am glad we are discussing this. I actually, (out of budget concerns more than health) stopped buying pop and snacks. My grocery list consists of the necessities. However I have a long way to go. I still buy cereal for the kids. I would purchase the healthful cereals with less than 9 grams of sugar but they are so not worth the price. I refuse to pay over $2.50 a box and currently I do not even buy box cereal. I buy the big bags. It lasts longer and it is cheaper. I do not eat the cereal myself and neither does my eldest daughter but the rest of the family does eats it like it might be their last meal.

My youngest daughter gets irritated with me when I ask her to make my coffee because I will not drink it if it has too much sugar. I make her measure out precisely a tablespoon of flavored creamer and nothing more added. If we use milk than only a teaspoon of sugar.

I would have to look it up but I think I remember reading that 1 tsp of sugar is equal to 1 gram. Now imagine if you are reading serving size on the nutrition facts and seeing 20 grams that is 20 tsps. Gross! And this is Queen Sweet Tooth saying that. Measure it out today as an experiment, to see with your eyes just how much 20 tsps of sugar is.

Oh do not think that if you drinking or eating items with sugar alternatives that you are in the safety zone. Oh no, Sista! They were designed to keep you coming back for more. Worse, they are have health risks as well, masked as healhful for you. Deceiver!

My suggestion, change one thing on your grocery list at a time. Stay away from packaged foods as much as possible.

Oh boy, I got carried away, sorry. If you were here you would see my head bobbing side to side and my hands talking too. An eighties thing for sure.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've already started I realized my coffee (a monster energy drink).had more sugar than my daily goal I stopped drinking it. I drink one coke zero a day. I'm sorry I need my caffeine!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I actually started already as well! I am also in the 21 day no junk food group and I started my first round on the first. Aside from a small sliver of ice cream cake yesterday, I have stuck to it and I must say I feel so much better without all the added sugar, and surprisingly I have much more energy now that my body is leveling itself out and getting used to not having so much sugar. I even cut out the sugar in my morning coffee!
  • Nicoleholmes2
    Nicoleholmes2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Like others I have cut back on my sugar intake, but still have a long way to go. So today will be sugarless Monday for me!

P.S. Thank you! I really enjoy this group!
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have really cut back my sugar intake since I've started this journey... And it really shows, yesterday I went floating down the river all day, I didn't really think I was going to be there from 10-7 so i didn't bring any healthy snacks, so I had to eat some of what my friend brought, and all she brought was Pringles, Chips Ahoy and Chocolate covered donuts. Also I had a TON of sweet tea (only thing to drink after I went through my huge bottle of water) Anywho, I was so sick to my stomach last night, I didn't want to move, I couldn't go to sleep. It was bad, I am now trying to cleanse today with more than my normal 64 ounces of water.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I tried about a month ago by making my own granola bars instead of buying them bc many even healthy have a lot of sugar. I am not totally against the white stuff just not in everything and not in the portions they put in our foods! A little goes a long way!
    I still need to see what else I can do but I see for me it is back to cooking and baking more of my own stuff with whole ingredients as much as possible.
    Last week I bought a Peanut Butter with no sugar...it is still good too! Yuuum!
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Cereal is definitely something we think a lot about while in the grocery store. My partner and I both eat in the mornings (except in the winter’s and weekends when it gets subbed for oatmeal or eggs). We do our best to get things like Cheerios, Wheaties, Kix, etc. And if I have fruit in the fridge I’ll add that for some natural sugar.

I don’t ever buy soda (unless it’s sparkling water) and I do my coffee with light cream, no sugar. One of my main sugar cravings is when I get a sweet tooth for chocolate. I’ve been making cookies with honey instead of sugar (you don't need as much) and actually just bought agave nectar in the store yesterday. I also have been switching out milk chocolate for dark chocolate but I’m not sure if the sugar content is different.
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My biggest pitfall has been drinking my sugar, Pepsi, coffee, iced tea. Everything I drink is like a liquid candy bar!
    I have tried to quit cold turkey and go on strictly water. I made it 3 months and was surprised by that! Then I went back to normal, or even worse.

My best bet will be to try to stick with water, but allow myself some sweet tea with dinner if I must.
  • nawlinskat
    Options
    I rarely drink pop or eat sugar.I went cold turkey on soft drinks in 2009 and rarely drink one.My biggest challenge is sugar in the Winter because when it becomes cold I crave coffee and unfortunately I drink it Boston style -tons of sugar and cream.

The only sugar in my house now is brown sugar scrub .I have managed to train myself to sweeten my a.m. cereal with cinnamon ,which I find very satisfying.Instead of eating sugary cereals I eat a couple of Nature's Path brand cereals with organic skim milk.I buy Maranatha peanut butter which is plain unadulterated PB that taste exactly like the stuff I grew up on without any added ingredients.

As a result of reading Jackie Warner's book,This Is Why You're Fat",everything I buy has 5 grams of sugar or less.
  • neh310
    neh310 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My biggest pitfall has been drinking my sugar, Pepsi, coffee, iced tea. Everything I drink is like a liquid candy bar!
    I have tried to quit cold turkey and go on strictly water. I made it 3 months and was surprised by that! Then I went back to normal, or even worse.

My best bet will be to try to stick with water, but allow myself some sweet tea with dinner if I must.

ME TOO! Pepsi is my weakness. When I stop drinking it, I feel better. But once I have only one - I am back to drinking it all the time. All those excess calories too kills my food journal. It will be slow going for me - but am trying again to stop drinking my sugar. :smile:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I already watch my sugar intake. I drink my coffee with skim milk only. My cereal, fiber one original has 0 sugar and 14g of fiber.

I have started buying low fat protein for snacks. I make six hardboiled eggs a week, have low fat cottage cheese and low fat hard cheese. I particularly like Sargento's low fat string cheese at 50 calories.

I don't know exactly where I am on the scale because I only weigh in every other week, but I met with my nutritionist today and she was very pleased that I have increased my calories to around 1300 or 1400 a day. We're going to see if I lose any more weight next week and then adjust my intake from there.

Also, I'm under a lot of stress right now from trying to deal with my ailing 92 year old mother, so it is hard to keep my food and exercise on track.
  • ladywoodchopper
    Options
    AND I USE CHOCLATE BITS FOR CHOCLATE