contractions

Options
MrsCarter00
MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
Have any of you had them? I think I've been having them since around week 17 or 18 (I'm 22 weeks now) and my ER visit last week (contractions/intestinal pain from a lack of bm) showed I had a few in the hour and a half or so that I was being monitored. and they also checked my cervix and everything is fine, baby is still way up in there so that's good! My doctor didn't seem too concerned bc he didn't bring me in to see me or anything he just said no working out and if I felt one while doing something just to stop and lay down if I could but I'm kind of worried! I hope having these contractions this early is normal/okay for some women? I know a few friends have had braxton hicks but not usually till around their 28th week or later. I guess some reassurance would be nice, haha

Replies

• Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling contractions since about 21 weeks. Not painful, just 'pressure'. Around the time I started feeling them, they had just found a fibroid (benign tumor) on my uterus and that caused incredible pain for about 5 days. Since then, I've had at least one contraction per day, but again, no pain, just tightening. I've had as many as three or four in an hour, but no other pre term labor symptoms. My doctor says they're fairly normal but if they go from irregular to more regular, more than four in an hour, even without pain, I should call them right away. Most women start having practice contractions from roughly the half way point (20 weeks) but most don't even feel them until closer to 28 weeks. Just think, by the time you have your baby, your uterus will be the strongest muscle in your entire body and one would hope it does some practicing before the big day!!! If your doctor doesn't seem too concerned (assuming you trust your him/her), and you don't have any other symptoms, don't worry too much.

Maybe you were also dehydrated last week? Might contribute to both things - contractions and lack of bm. Good taking care, mama!
  • Mewlingstork
    Options
    Oh, and my understanding is that Braxton Hicks are contractions, but 'practice' ones. Does anyone else have different opinions/information??
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Oh I gotcha! Yeah none of mine hurt, my belly just gets rock solid for a few minutes then it goes down. I drink so much water there was no way I was dehydrated and after going to the ER I felt kinda silly about going but I'd rather be safe than sorry! I def trust my doctor, I guess it worries me bc its enough for him to tell me not to exercise using just my elliptical. Really glad I'm not the only one feeling them this early!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    No I don't think so, I'm assuming that's what we've been having.
  • Mewlingstork
    Options
    Oh I gotcha! Yeah none of mine hurt, my belly just gets rock solid for a few minutes then it goes down.

This is exactly what I feel as well. When I first started feeling them, I thought baby was just holding a long stretch! I had no idea what I was feeling. Being pregnant is sometimes like being a walking science experiment, to me anyways. I've enjoyed it so far.

Its interesting they told you no exercise. May I ask if you had anything else happening, other symptoms? Will they maybe lift this no exercise thing in the future? I feel like you said something about no exercise until at least your next appointment. Maybe they're just playing it very safe?
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Yeah I didn't think it was anything to worry about it before either! And I didn't think to ask about it either! They said after I see him he may let me go back to exercising, I really hope they do! The only other thing they said was no heavy lifting but I do think its bc they're playing it safe. And I totally agree about it being a science experiment .. its all so new and I feel so clueless lol
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Mine started around 25 weeks. Now at 32 weeks I'm having multiple BH contractions every day. Like others said, it's like a rock hard tightening of the belly.

OB said it's totally normal and it is your body's way of practicing for birth. I'm only supposed to be concerned if I get six of them within an hour, with pain.

I get stronger ones when I am dehydrated, during exercise, and if I have a full bladder. And some just because. You also get them if you have an orgasm.
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Thats mainly when I get them pepper! And that's reassuring, thanks girl :) I'm sure once I get to see/talk to my Dr about it he will probably say the same thing. I def haven't had any pain with them or anything so that's good!
  • flipchickmc
    flipchickmc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd PG and I've been having them since around 20wks - maybe even a couple weeks before. I remember at my 20wk u/s they couldn't get a good view of my cervix because I kept having contractions throughout the exam. I have them several times throughout the day (I'm currently 29wks).
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    This is my 3rd PG and I've been having them since around 20wks - maybe even a couple weeks before. I remember at my 20wk u/s they couldn't get a good view of my cervix because I kept having contractions throughout the exam. I have them several times throughout the day (I'm currently 29wks).

Same here! The sono tech saw that I was having one while she was doing her thing and she didn't seem alarmed I know its not her job but still haha but that's good, I'm sure after I see my doctor and he tells me what I can and can't do (if anything) ill feel better
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've had braxton hicks since about 20 weeks. I'm 36 now. They are normal! If you get them just drink more water and lay down. As long as they aren't regular you are good =]
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    I've had braxton hicks since about 20 weeks. I'm 36 now. They are normal! If you get them just drink more water and lay down. As long as they aren't regular you are good =]

Thanks girl, I've gone back and thought about how long it has been going on and I've actually had them since week 16 or 17 and nothing yet so im assuming everything is okay. But it def makes me feel better! :)
  • katkada
    katkada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ive been wondering about contractions. This is my first baby but I don't think that I have had any at all!! And Im at 38 weeks
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    Ive been wondering about contractions. This is my first baby but I don't think that I have had any at all!! And Im at 38 weeks

Wow that's amazing!!!!!! I wonder when your real ones are going to start!
  • katkada
    katkada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know because now I have no idea about what to expect or what they will feel like!!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    I know because now I have no idea about what to expect or what they will feel like!!

That's true!!!! Mine don't hurt and aren't uncomfortable or anything, Im assuming the real ones are!