Placenta Encapsulation

Options
Mewlingstork
Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
Is anyone else looking into placenta encapsulation? Everything I've read about the benefits make me want to do it. Unfortunately, there aren't midwives in my area that will do it for me. Looks like my mom, hubby, and I will have some work to do after baby comes!

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I must say I haven't because I didn't even know there was such a thing. Guess I have some homework to do, thanks for the subject!
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There is a previous thread somewhere in here discussing it that might have more info. I myself am not planning on it but my doula did it with her last pregnancy following extensive research on the benefits. She had it dried and ground and put into grape flavoured gel caps. My first thought was "that's disgusting" but there is a lot of information out there on the benefits so if you can get over the fact you are eating your placenta you'll be on the receiving end of those benefits! I see her on Friday I'll have to ask her how she did it and what were the main health benefits associated with the process. I googled the topic after the previous thread and it looked like most women had their dried and made into pills but there were some women who ate it raw! That's a little too intense for me.

hmmmm i just checked through the old posts, the previous topic disappeared
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I think it's really interesting. Not going to do it myself, but I totally understand why people do. I'll be curious to hear how it goes for you!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think raw or even cooked (I've heard of placenta cookbooks!) is too much for me. But the thought of taking a pill doesn't bother me. A cool quote, "It's the only meat that comes from life, not death".

I'll have to ask my doula about it also. I'm not sure if she does such things. We have to make sure the hospital will let us have it. I was hoping there was a thread somewhere, but I hadn't seen it.

I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes! Probably TMI for some people.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My friend did it and said it gave her a TON of energy, and supposed to help with PPD. There is someone here who does it for $100, I think I am going to do it this time.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've always intended to ask my midwives about this, but never have. It seems as though I'm in a distracted flurry of nesting at the end.
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This actually interested me. I figure what could it hurt?! My husband thinks I'm nuts! He told me that I'm not doing it because ppl will think we're gypsies, lol! I'm going to discuss it with my dr. at my next appt.