Hello! + Next DVD recommendations?

Options
roxedy
roxedy Posts: 49 Member
Hello Leslie fans. I'm Roxanne and have recently become a fan the Leslie Sansone DVDs. My only regret is not discovering her workouts sooner! I started with the "Start! Walking At Home with Leslie Sansone: Beginner/Intermediate - 1 & 2 Mile Walk" and quickly found that I guess I was in better shape that I had thought because the "challenge" of the 2 Mile was short lived. Must be all the chasing after a toddler I do!

I love everything about the DVD but started to wish it had more. Next I purchased "Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan". It was more of an impulse buy, I wanted something that could be a bit longer and that was the only Leslie DVD I saw in the store when I decided that I needed a new DVD right now. I'll admit that I don't love this one was much as I did the other DVD. I'm not too fond of the "transition" (or lack thereof) between the miles and the background ladies. I was discussing, with my husband, the other day my dislike for the background ladies. I have nothing against any of them on a personal level, I just don't see the point. My husband said that the videos his mom used to follow always had extras that did the exercises at different levels. I remember something similar in the ones my mom used to watch but I don't think the ladies on this DVD do anything like that or if they do it is not different enough to be obvious to me. I watch them all the time trying to figure out if they are doing anything different. I'll admit that while pondering this does make time go by faster part of me thinks this was not the intended purpose!

None of my nitpicks are deal-breakers and I've been using the DVD daily since I purchased it. Right now I've been finding the time for 40-60 minutes in the morning (before everyone gets up) and another 20-30 minutes in the evening. I've been using the "5 Day Walk" DVD in the morning then either that or the other DVD in the evening. I sort of see the morning as my "real" workout and the evening is more "anything goes" since I'm doing it more because I find a quick workout in the evening relaxes me in the evening.

Since this has become such a regular part of my day, I'd love to grab another DVD (or two.... or three.....) to add to my collection for variety. I've noticed several DVDs with what seems to be strength training in the workout (at least I presume because of the inclusion of the resistance bands) and some that claim to be "Fast" Miles. It would be awesome to have something with a slightly higher intensity in a shorter time frame and something with a bit more focus on strength/toning combined into the mile. There are A LOT of Leslie DVDs out there and I'd rather not pick out something that is redundant so I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out what to get next. I've looked around this board for ideas and have been reading reviews I've read online. Right now I've been looking at "Leslie Sansone: 4 Mile Power Walk", "Leslie Sansone: 4 Fast Miles", and "Leslie Sansone: 5 Really Big Miles". "Leslie Sansone: 3 Mega Miles" also looks interesting but it is not out until September. Darn!

Any ideas, suggestions, or help would be much appreciated. :)

Replies

• 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I have 17 of her DVD's and I love all of them. For what you are looking for, I think you're on the right track looking for ones that use the stretchy bands or have "Fast" in the title. You can also go to amazon.com to check out reviews - I've done this when trying to decide if one of her videos is right for me. You can also try searching for a particular title on youtube or collagevideo to see excerpts.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like Juniper have several Leslies - I agree collagevideo.com is a really valuable resource - you can look before you buy

The Walk Slim 5 Really Big Miles ..... has the SAME group of walkers as does Ultimate 5 Day Walk.

I do like the Ultimate 5 Day Walk video which you have; but because all of the miles don't start out "fast enough" for me .... I grab some light handweights as the next mile starts. That reminds me to do more arm movements ... that helps bump it up a bit.

If you are looking for Leslie solo - my faves are

3 Mile Slim & Sleek Walk. Ok - this is not "pilates" as the name implies. But, I like the DVD because there is a music only option, and there are many different moves (especially as compared to Walk Away the Pounds).

3 Mile Bootcamp Walk - this is great because it has boosted walking, toning with a figure 8 tube (just use a stretchie) & walking. The cool down is chaptered separately ... you can "skip" to it at any time.

5 Mile Day Slim Down - this has 1 classic mile, 1 mile arms, 1 mile abs, 1 mile hips & thighs, and 1 "speed" mile. This changes the moves up a bit on each mile.

Probably my all time favorite 3 miler is Leslie with a group: 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk - this uses handweights, and Mary Kay (a Leslie regular) leads mile 2. Mile 2 is challenging.

**Don't go crazy with the other "Walk Slim" series. I like 4 Really Big Miles (it's the ONE I kept) it has a good group, 1 mile uses a stretchie and 1 mile has boosted walking. The problem: you will find the music is almost all the SAME from one DVD to another. This is my Leslie "pet peeve" if you will, she will use the same songs for years!

Just a side note (you probably already know) - Walk Away the Pounds are older Leslies (made for VHS) - there are some good workouts here .... but they are not chaptered. No skipping & the music tends to be quieter.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Since this has become such a regular part of my day, I'd love to grab another DVD (or two.... or three.....) to add to my collection for variety. I've noticed several DVDs with what seems to be strength training in the workout (at least I presume because of the inclusion of the resistance bands) and some that claim to be "Fast" Miles. It would be awesome to have something with a slightly higher intensity in a shorter time frame and something with a bit more focus on strength/toning combined into the mile. Any ideas, suggestions, or help would be much appreciated. :)

Strength/Toning combined - sorry - I didn't read enough of your post :blushing:

Walk Away the Pounds - Walk Strong (not Walk Strong Express) .... is on a compilation DVD called Walk Away the Pounds Fat Burning Miles (has 4 workouts inclu. Walk & Jog ...:happy: ). This is a true circuit workout. You walk, you stop and use dumbbells, you walk some more ..... over & over.

This is challenging (1/2 hour) ..... start with light dumbbells & work your way up. Leslie does a good job using both upper & lower body .... it really keeps your heart rate up.

One level down is Walk Away The Pounds Express - Walk Strong. This is a circuit workout with a stretchie ... not nearly as challegning as the workout above, but still 1/2 hour.

One level up ...... not Leslie (sorry). Chris Freytag does a workout called Walking Cardio Shape Up Max. This is 45 minutes of circuits with walking/dumbbells.
  • roxedy
    roxedy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks Juniper for the collagevideo suggestion. I did not even think to look online for clips! :blushing:

**Don't go crazy with the other "Walk Slim" series. I like 4 Really Big Miles (it's the ONE I kept) it has a good group, 1 mile uses a stretchie and 1 mile has boosted walking. The problem: you will find the music is almost all the SAME from one DVD to another. This is my Leslie "pet peeve" if you will, she will use the same songs for years!

That is good to know! I did not know that, possibly because I only own two DVDs of hers right now. Thank you Tea for all your suggestions. :)
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Im in the Uk and we cant buy Leslie dvd's here. Shes unheard of! I do all my Leslie videos off youtube. Theres loads of them you can try for free!
    I also like the fast paced ones. My favourite are the 3 mile walk & jog & 4 fast miles. Theres a walk & tone one on there too. They are fast paced & work up a sweat. In both vdeos Leslie is in groups though.