How do you stay motivated?

Options
kamakazeekim
kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
I've been working really hard at eating healthy and working out but the scale just keeps creeping up (not so much creeping...more like raging out of control) I'm so focused on my weight I have a hard time doing too much else. I'm feel like saying screw it and just eat and live like everyone else.

I guess I just need some positive support right now

Replies

• bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    That sucks you feel that way. I stay motivated by seeing results, but if you're not seeing them then I can imagine how hard it must be to keep going. For me, I had to really look at myself and be honest about how I was eating and living and make a real serious change before I started seeing any weight loss. I have to work out at least an hour a day and I have to eat mostly whole foods (mostly fruit and veg) to stay on track- I have my days where I eat poorly, but then I don't see any weight loss and I want to get back on track quickly. I find the healthier the food, the more bang I get for my buck (or in this case the more food I get to stuff in my face for the calories.)

When you say 'eat and live like everyone else' does that mean you are around a lot of people who don't eat well and exercise? That can be hard too. I find myself hanging out with more of my friends that want to do active things with me rather than spending time with my friends who want to sit around and smoke cigarettes all afternoon while eating ice cream, maybe you need to adjust who you're spending time around? The people you're around tend to influence your mindset greatly, regardless of how strong-willed you are. If you're around people who take care of themselves, then your positive lifestyle choices will be ‘eating and living like everyone else.’

I don’t like to provide input on people’s food diaries unless they specifically ask, but if you want some input on that, I’d be glad to take a look. I’m no expert, but I’ve been having pretty great results for the last several months and I have a pretty good grasp on general nutrition. Or, even better, feel free to take a look at my diary or find others that are having success and see what they’re doing. When I see someone with a bunch of weight loss on their ticker, I always go and look at their food diary if it’s open; it gives me good meal ideas as well as a good comparison of what I eat versus what the people that are having success eat.

Good luck, if you keep at it and stay honest with yourself you’ll find the results you’re looking for.
  • scarlet331
    scarlet331 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know it is frustrating to keep motivated. Whenever I go to the dietitian, it will show that I gained instead of lost weight and I've been doing everything I can do help my symptoms and I get depressed. . I've been swimming, working out on the elliptical and hand weights at the gym, If I do not go to the gym, I try to intake a walk in.. I went back to my family doctor and asked what could be and she asked if I was still taking my metformin.( I am not a big fan of popping pills) reluctantly, I said no I wasn't. I got the lecture that if I do not take the metformin, I will continue to gain more weight instead of breaking down the fat/sugars I am in-taking. The last visit I had with my dietitian made me realize I need to do more and follow my doctors advice if I want to lose weight and possibly conceive on my own without the aide of fertility treatments, plus I am tired of being in a obese, unhealthy body. I know I can get my old body back when I was younger If I continue to work at it and it sucks being tired all the time. My summer was not the best and I missed out a lot.
    You definitely need to have more positive motivation. Do you have friends or a sibling you can workout with ? Think of something positive that you want to achieve. Such examples are: I want to get into a bikini instead of a one piece, I want to run in a 5 or 10k.
    We all have those points we will not see results but it doesn't mean to throw in the towel and give up. You can definitely do this on your own.