Has anyone heard of/had success with Tabata?

Options
kenzietate
kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
My mom just found this and we are thinking about trying it in the mornings to prep for my wedding that is exactly 149 days away. (Link: http://tabatatraining.org/?p=18)

I am hoping that it will kick start my days to be able to stay on track with my weight loss. From being an athlete most of my life I do know that the short intense bursts are often way more helpful than running for hours. At least for me it was like that. Maybe I just hate running lol. But with so little time in my life between work, planning the wedding, and sleeping I feel like this might be worth a try!

Replies

• kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    This is the first I've heard of it, and I would agree that HIIT training is a little better than regular running for an extended amount of time. But after checking out that link, how in the world would you give more than 100% effort? It mentioned people saw results with bursts of 170% effort. That's what threw the red flag for me. Any program that suggests awesome benefits for such a short amount of time a day needs to be investigated. While I wouldn't say don't do it, I wouldn't hold your breath and have it be the only thing you do for your workout regimine...

Sorry if I seem overly negative, I want you to have as much progress as you can for your wedding day! I'm a huge follower of Jillian Michaels, and she suggests a minimum of 20 minutes a day for a workout that includes resistance training with bursts of cardio. 30 minutes a day would be better. Good luck with the planning and remember to make time for you!!!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am skeptical about seeing a lot of results from the exercise it self but I think the main point for me is to jump start my metabolism each morning. I have a VERY active job that keeps me working out all day so I am basically trying to start something that might give me a little kick in the right direction. I agree with your statement but from what I was reading, many people use this before actually doing a regular workout to kick start the calorie burn.