Most budget friendly foods that are good for you too?

Options
Is it just me or is all the "budget friendly" food all the food that is high in calories and not exactly the best for you?? Has anyone found any budget friendly foods that are also good for you? I'm a fan of Fiber One bars are there any alternatives out there people can suggest for snacks and cereals?

Replies

• ClvrScn
    ClvrScn Posts: 7
    Options
    I buy almost everything at Aldi's -

Baby Carrots - 49 cents ( compare to Giant Eagle at 1.69)
    Celery 49 cents ( compare to Giant Eagle 99 cents)
    Salad mix 99 cents ( compare to Giant Eagle 3.58)

Boneless skinless all white meat chicken breast 5.99 for 8 (compare to Giant Eagle at 8.99 for 8)
    Ground Turkey 1.29 a pound ( G.E. 2.99 a pound)

You get my drift. I do not eat Fiber One Bars. I do eat protein bars and I wait for them to go on a 2/1 sale at CVS and then buy enough for 2 weeks, when they will go on sale again.
  • Kwick2010
    Kwick2010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, ClvrScn. You just can't beat the prices at Aldi, and the fruits, veggies and meats are always fresh! I'm so glad we have a new Aldi store nearby.
  • america_c
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, I need to check them out again. I had stopped going because the veggies at my local store did not last very long :(
  • ClvrScn
    ClvrScn Posts: 7
    Options
    Acalleros -

I live in the suburbs of a major city.

We have 4 aldi's nearby. The two in the city had crappy produce, but the one in our suburb has good produce and the one in the next suburb ( about 5 miles from me) has name brands at aldi's prices -
  • skatardrummer
    skatardrummer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There's and Aldi's near my work. I'll have to check it out!
  • america_c
    Options
    I recently bought Walmart brand sweet and salty almond bars. They were actually pretty tasty and filling. I usually carry one in my bag for after work hunger pains. Just thought I'd share.
  • LiZzie1917
    Options
    Not sure we have an Aldi's in Portland Oregon but we have some grocery outlet stores. I imagine they are similar.

One of my main staples is egg whites scrambled in sautéed spinach & squash/zucchini in olive oil. It takes about 5 minutes and very inexpensive and yummy.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Aldi - great for a lot of things, but I really like frozen meat & fresh produce.
    Dry Beans
    Meat - buy first thing in the morning when day of meat is marked down
    Tag along w/ a friend who has a Costco/Sam's Card - They have good prices on eggs, chicken, produce
    Plan your meals around the sales - after you stock up on the basics only buy what's on sale

If you like bars, there are always coupons for them & you can also find them at discounters like Dollar General, Dollar Tree
  • quiltngrandma45
    quiltngrandma45 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too have an Aldi store close and I buy my fresh produce and most everything there even frozen meat. I am branching out and trying some of there fresh meat too. I use WalMart for a lot of things Aldi doesn't carry all the time. There is a few can goods and some frozen vegetables Aldi doesn't carry. We eat less meat and more vegetables and fresh fruits. We also eat leftovers and a lot of people won't do that. I think you just have to really look and watch what you buy and DON'T let it go to waste. Happy eating all .:flowerforyou:
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Also, Walmart accepts anyone's ads - even for groceries. For example, you could use an Aldi ad at Walmart and further reduce your produce pricing.