Hot Chocolate Anyone?

Options
amonroe1343
amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
So the title is a little misleading but ah well... I'm going to attempt doing the hot chocolate 5K in November. Just seeing if anyone is interested in doing this as well. My friend and I want to try it. I'm not a runner and I would like to try and run most of it. I have ankle issues but I'm going to still try and see how it goes. It's Sunday November 4th at Grant park. Maybe I can see some of you there!

Replies

• chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I might consider it... I HATE running but I've been try to at least work up to being able to so some sort of standardized amount (i.e.- 9 minute mile or whatever it is) just as a benchmark of an "acceptable" fitness level. Right now I've just been doing walking/jogging intervals (sort of like couch to 5k) a few times a week. My endurance suuuuuucks though haha
  • amonroe1343
    Options
    I can't run either and there is no way I could run a 5K. I have ankle issues so I'd be mostly walking it. You just have to finish it with a 15 min mile pace if you are going to walk/jog. You can do it. I'm gonna try and work on the C25K program as well as long as my ankle will allow it.
  • chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I feel ya on the ankle issue... Two years ago I was at work and totally broke my right ankle... crushed the tendons too. Had to have surgery and get a plate and a bunch of screws in my leg, including one long screw that went through both bones which broke in half! I still don't have full ROM with it and it still hurts, particularly after trying to jog. It sucks!
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I did it last year with my trainer. It is pretty cool because downtown is pretty much closed for the race, It is nice to see the city that way. I enjoyed the veiw and there thousands of people racing. You will love it
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Im doing this too! 5K isnt too bad!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    you can always walk/run it. When I did marathons and halfs I would do them the Jeff Galloway way(run/walk) the whole way. I used to run 3 min/walk 1. I never did it for anything shorter than a half...but now I really don't care about time anymore.If I ever do another race..even a 5k, I might do it that way.
  • libellula56
    libellula56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If anyone is walking it would enjoy trying, not at running yet, but walking 3 miles a day and rotating riding my bike up to 6 miles a day. I'm hoping when I lose another 30 pounds (have lost 35 pounds since June 5th) I'll be able to run instead of a brisk walk!
  • amonroe1343
    Options
    I'll probably walk/run it... I couldn't run the whole thing yet but I want to try and run some of it. I'm excited for it though. I'm not a runner but I want to try and get to running some.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely interested! It sounds fun. I'm not really a runner either; I do jogging & power-walking or moderate walking. I've never done anything like this before & would love to try it!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    EMGETSFIT! Try it! im running it with a couple of friends! it should be a blast! if you need training tips or jogginhpartner let me know!
  • jiabman
    Options
    I signed up today! Sounds like fun...maybe we should have a "meetup" after....
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Last year I ran/walk you guys should try it
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Gonna sign up. :) I like the idea of a meet-up after it, too.
  • Radha824
    Options
    My friend Jen and I both signed up. We recently did a 5K and the combination of walk/run and we were done in under 45 minutes. But the "high" I got from finishing inspired me to sign up for 2 more!
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are going to try to sign up. We've walked the Earth Day 5K in Humboldt Park and ADA Step Out by Soldier Field in the past, but never tried running. I believe I read somewhere that they "encourage" 15 min miles though.

I'm going to start training to be able to run/walk the entire course. Don't care much about timing, I just love this city and getting a chance to enjoy it with others for a good cause (and chocolate!) sounds like a good day to me. :-)
  • cmadamso
    Options
    I did the 15K a few years ago and it was a lot of fun...cold though! If at any time you're feeling too fatigued or your ankle is bothering you, you can definitely walk!