How nerdy is your job?

Options
diadojikohei
diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
I run a game shop, currently in the basement I have 3 people playing Warhammer 40K, 4 people playing Bloodbowl, 6 people playing Dungeons and dragons!
I had a long conversation about AD and D and Magic the Gathering today too!

Replies

• HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    FILTHY JEALOUS. I'm a librarian, that's still nerdy, right?
  • diadojikohei
    Options
    OMG! I wanted to be a librarian but at school they said you had to have a degree, so I should be a secretary instead! (I ignored them and went and did a teaching degree)
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be a teacher or a librarian, seriously, since I was little... somehow I ended up an accountant...
  • diadojikohei
    Options
    I wanted to be a teacher or a librarian, seriously, since I was little... somehow I ended up an accountant...
    LOL!
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I run a game shop, currently in the basement I have 3 people playing Warhammer 40K, 4 people playing Bloodbowl, 6 people playing Dungeons and dragons!

I'm a teensy bit jealous of your job. Mine sounds more nerdy than it is I guess. I work Help Desk so I'm not quite in IT...but all my coworkers come to me for the "techie" questions.

My boyfriend (who I haven't quite talked into joining MFP yet) actually gets to write and illustrate for gaming companies and a gaming magazine. Which, of course, makes me super jealous.
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Erm I work as a mortgage account manager...I guess it sort of deals with maths so that is kinda geeky right? Except I am *kitten* at maths lol...I am the horrible person that takes your house from you if you don't pay your mortgage <_<;
  • TattoodITGuy
    Options

I'm a teensy bit jealous of your job. Mine sounds more nerdy than it is I guess. I work Help Desk so I'm not quite in IT...but all my coworkers come to me for the "techie" questions.

My boyfriend (who I haven't quite talked into joining MFP yet) actually gets to write and illustrate for gaming companies and a gaming magazine. Which, of course, makes me super jealous.

Heck! I'm jealous of your boyfriend!!
  • TattoodITGuy
    Options
    Erm I work as a mortgage account manager...I guess it sort of deals with maths so that is kinda geeky right? Except I am *kitten* at maths lol...I am the horrible person that takes your house from you if you don't pay your mortgage <_<;

Thank goodness for calculators and software that does the math for you. :laugh:
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Before I had a kid I worked as a game tester (QA). Got paid to play games. Not as glamorous as it sounds, but fun nonetheless!
  • thewinged
    Options
    I'd say....very nerdy. In an odd sort of way.

I am a raptor biologist. As in birds of prey (which are pretty much dinosaurs XD). Right now, I am raising and releasing young Ridgway's Hawks in the Dominican Republic with The Peregrine Fund. This is involves long hours of field work, and lots of data entry and data analyzing. I am a bird-nerd, through and through. I enjoy studying various other fields in biology for fun as well. Like insects. I love bugs!
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A bird nerd! I'm jealous!

I work on an IT service desk answering questions about student information systems. Then I go home and play with all my nerdy techie tools and fix all the computers in my house because my husband "accidentally" installs virus' all the time. I can reformat my own harddrive!
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options

SO true lol, it frees up time to have those "lovely conversations" with people where I tell them they are homeless! Ugh my job is not pleasant sometimes!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't think my job itself is nerdy--it's more high-adrenaline (critical care nurse.) Unless you count bringing people back from the dead as nerdy? lol
    But I work with some nerdy people. :bigsmile:
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I get excited when new versions of AutoCAD, Tekla, and SDS-2 software comes out. I design structural steel framework ( columns, beams, connections )for buildings. Is that nerdy enough?
  • poshcouture
    Options
    FILTHY JEALOUS. I'm a librarian, that's still nerdy, right?

LOL I've always wanted to be a librarian! Used to be a teacher's assistant in the library in high school. Loved every minute of it! I'm not sure if my job would qualify as nerdy; however, my job requires me to watch The Weather Channel all day since I am a Technical Reviewer for a homeowner's insurance company. It simply consists of me reading/collaborating contractor estimates for water mitigation, fire, smoke, theft....etc, etc. And I love every bit of it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

SO true lol, it frees up time to have those "lovely conversations" with people where I tell them they are homeless! Ugh my job is not pleasant sometimes!

Yeah that doesn't sound like a fun job at all.

I'm an software analyst. Its computer related, and programming related, but honestly, not very nerdy IMO.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Online Chat Associate - (customer service)

You know the person on the other end of that annoying "click-to-chat" button on a lot of websites. I don't know if that's considered nerdy, but it's better than answering the phone all day! :)

Not exactly my ideal job, but it pays the bills.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm an at-home mom.

But I play D&D regularly (well, Pathfinder right now) as well as games with my boys.....they think it is really cool to have a mom who will play games with them.

I'm not like most of the other PTO moms. They all look at me funny.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

Yeah that doesn't sound like a fun job at all.

I'm an software analyst. Its computer related, and programming related, but honestly, not very nerdy IMO.

IT related field for DoD Navy. It's nothing really nerdy. Boring at times with the shift I work, graveyard 11pm-7am PST. Only time it gets exciting is when a computer misbehaves. Bad data causing a domino effect of errors or servers overheating endangering millions of expensive servers.
  • russdev
    russdev Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Before I had a kid I worked as a game tester (QA). Got paid to play games. Not as glamorous as it sounds, but fun nonetheless!

Well I am QA Manager for a software company (not a gaming house) so I would say very nerdy :) spent whole of working life in IT. Also generally cool/nerdy/geeky place to work Nerf Gun wars often break out in the open plan office.. :)

Russ

--
    fitnessthegeekway.1.gif
    Follow My Journey At FitnessTheGeekWay.com - http://bit.ly/QCAEGE